Watchmen by Alan Moore

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gadje
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gadje.html

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Post by gadje »

Watchmen was my introduction into the world of graphic novels. The story was great on its own merit filled with severely flawed super heroes as their limelight fades in the public eye, but the graphics added so much more to the story.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

This is still one of my favourite graphic novels. I love how it explores issues of vigilant justice and what the real life impact of having superheroes would be. The format is very clever as well, I loved reading bits of back story and newspaper clippings.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This was one of the first graphic novels I ever read, and because of that (I think), I had a little trouble with it. I'd like to give it another chance once I have more comic book experience.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I think a graphic novel becomes great when it has a serious societal objective behind its characters and images. Watchmen was just that, belonging to the rank of the likes of Persepolis.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Likewise, Watchmen was my introduction to the world of graphic novels. I always said beforehand that graphic novels weren't my type of books. After Watchmen, I was addicted to them! I've read tons of Alan Moore's work now and am starting to adore comics in general!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I saw the movie first, and then I read the graphic novel. I think that watching the movie was a great introduction and then going back and reading the graphic novel helped me become a fan. I would really like to read the stories that go along with the heroes themselves but have only seen the physical copies at a comic book shop. I'm sure that I could find them somewhere else, but I enjoy getting books at locally owned places as a way to show my support.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AtomMud
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AtomMud »

It is said by many Watchmen by Alan Moore is the greatest Graphic novel of all time. I myself find it very hard to disagree. It is by far extremely cerebral yet captivating. The art work alone is so unique even if you read this book 100 different times each time you would notice something new. The story is so immense and stacked and jacked full of multi dimensional characters. I dare say it well make want to reread it at least 10 times over. Also the use of non primary colors such as orange and purple have never been used before like this in a graphic novel, and I don't think anyone will ever use color in such a unique way ever again honestly. At least not within the realms of Graphic novels/ Comic Books.
Dee71
Currently Reading: Lovecraft Country
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Dee71 »

I adore this work. Moore, Gibbons, and Higgins created an incredible world and cast of characters. The visuals and colors are everything, paired with the characters and narrative. I think I only ever truly understood the "superhero" trope after having read this, especially the edition I have that includes a thorough introduction and lots of other production notes and extras, all detailing how and what it took to create Watchmen.
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

Shocked that more people haven't replied in this forum.

Like many here "Watchmen" was one of my first introductions to Graphic Novels. Before reading I always thought that Graphic Novels were for a "different crowd" then the people that like classic literature and literary fiction, but Moore kind of turned my world upside down.

I could go on and on about this book, honestly. There's so much to it. The reason I ended up reading it in the first place was that I took a Graphic Novel course in High School. My teacher said that she could make a whole course just about "Watchmen," which is absolutely true.

For anyone that hasn't read it, or read it on their own and didn't notice, there's a sentence or two at the end of every chapter that relates back to something (I know, very specific). Sometimes it's a speech, or another book, or a philosopher, or a song. If you read into them and learn what they are talking about it brings SO MUCH to the story. Moore really packs in the allusions if you look into it, both with these quotes and the characters (Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach especially)! The movie is really good but just can't capture how many references Moore puts in the book. Learning about it made me realize the Graphic novels can use just as many literary devices as any other form, and that being a Graphic Novel is really just another form, NOT a genre (but that's a whole other thing).

I always (and probably will forever) tell my friends that don't read Graphic Novels that "Watchmen" is the gateway in, or that if they only read one Graphic Novel in their life it should be this book. :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating:
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

While I did enjoy it for the deep questions it raised about human nature, politics, science, and other important issues, I think I missed many of the references and points he was making. Especially the comparisons to the 1980s . I really feel like I would have gotten more out of it if I had read a digital version where I could click on something and pull up notes about what the comic was addressing, like an enriched interactive book.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Watchmen is a wonder many people haven't discovered. One of the best comics of all time. The Characters are memorable and relatable, particularly rorschach and Dr Manhattan. It addresses societal issues in the benign voice of Omniscience. Who watches the watchmen??
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Amyrich
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amyrich »

Alan Moore's Watchmen was my introduction to the world of graphic novels. Apart from the brilliant art and commentary on our times, what really blew my mind was the story within the larger arch...the story of the pirate, and how it complimented and foreshadowed the actual plot. AMAZING stuff!
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I think that like many Watchmen was one of the first graphic novels i read, it changed so much on its time and even today it applies to reality. Its amazing and i could talk and talk about it and rant so much but i also think is one of those story's that you need to experience for yourself in order to understand its value.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I've seen the Watchmen movie, but have never read the graphic novel. Which would you say is better?
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Jsovermyer wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 22:42 I've seen the Watchmen movie, but have never read the graphic novel. Which would you say is better?
For me the graphic novel is better, they change a few things on the movie that help move the plot but i enjoy the raw and frustration that comes with the story-line of the graphic novel.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”