Fairy Tail (Manga) by Hiro Mashima

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Icon Fairy Tail (Manga) by Hiro Mashima

Post by poetrythanki »

I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't a fan of Anime/Manga before.

But, one day changed my whole life. It was the day I watched Fairy Tail Anime. After being hooked with the Anime, I read the Manga and my whole view on these Anime/Manga stories changed.

Fairy Tail is set in fictional Earth-land, where Magic is used in day-to-day life. The story revolves around a teen girl named Lucy who ran away from her home to join a popular wizard guild (an association of people who use natural inborn magic). She meets Natsu Dragneel, a Fairy Tail fire mage who befriends Lucy and invites her to Fairy Tail. Along with Gray Fullbuster (Ice-Make Magic user), Erza Scarlet (Armour Equip Magic user) and Natsu's talking cat Happy, Lucy joins Team Natsu. The five embarks on a numerous missions and face villains while forming a strong bond of friendship. On the other hand, Dark Guilds try their best to resurrect a dark and dangerous wizard named Zeref but fails as Fairy Tail comes to save the world.

The best thing about Fairy Tail is not just a rich plot-line but humorous, likable characters. Fairy Tail has a wide range of characters, each developing wonderfully throughout the series. Even the evil characters, you'll love them too!

Filled with fun, adventure, mystery, rich fantasy, different story arcs, romance and friendship, I'm sure Fairy Tail will keep you hooked like it did to me.

One thing that bothers me though, is the excessive fan service in it. The sexy appeal of the girls and racy clothes along with double meaning jokes makes it difficult to reach younger audience. But, it is meant for older teens and keeping this thing aside, I'm ardently in love with Fairy Tail.

Y'all should surely give it a try! 8)

Any Fairy Tail fans here :?: :D
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Do you think the manga is much different from the anime? I've seen the anime, and I gotta say, I didn't care for it too much. It wasn't terrible, but I agree with the fan service being annoying. I might be willing to give the manga a try if I came across it at some point.
poetrythanki

Post by poetrythanki »

Manga is much similar to the Anime. However, FT Anime has more story arcs than Manga. The best thing about the manga is its illustrations and design. Compared to other Mangas, FT is very easy to read. It's not at all complex.

I agree with you. In the beginning, I didn't connect with the story much. And I'm not much fond of Lucy. I only watched the show because of Gray and Juvia. But as the story progressed, I couldn't stop watching. I even read all Gray-Juvia Fanfic! And the most recent arcs : Tartarus, Avatar, Alverez, They're just over the top. Things are getting intense and interesting. So, you should give FT Manga a try :)
mariapaton
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by mariapaton »

Agreed with you in the beginning i do not have much interest but as the story passes i could not resist myself of not watching it
Ruptain
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

My sister has watched (and read) these!! I am looking into getting back into Magna, since it has been a while. I think the last one I read was the Dragon Knights series. <-----by the way, AMAZING series (with good comic relief mixed in just right)

-R
poetrythanki

Post by poetrythanki »

Ruptain wrote:My sister has watched (and read) these!! I am looking into getting back into Magna, since it has been a while. I think the last one I read was the Dragon Knights series. <-----by the way, AMAZING series (with good comic relief mixed in just right)

-R
I'll search for that series and give it a try. I love Fairy Tail so much! Especially the recent chapters are so awesome that it's a sheer torture to wait for the next one.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I am in love with Fairy Tail. My favorite characters have got to be Juvia and Gajeel. I love it because I don't hate the main-main character, Natsu. I mean, I hate the Fairy Tail plot armor but it's not too bad. I have to admit that I don't like Lucy though as most of the arcs are centered around her but she's okay because she actually got stronger (even though she's the cliched dead parent and neglectful parent). The anime is really slow and the fight scenes take forever but the manga is really good and enticing. I'm sad that it's ending soon but it was well done.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
GLUELINE
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glueline.html

Post by GLUELINE »

I love this manga I found it about three years ago and I am so happy I did! The story is overall really funny and interesting. What I think is best about us how the members of fairy tail really cate each other.
poetrythanki

Post by poetrythanki »

GLUELINE wrote:I love this manga I found it about three years ago and I am so happy I did! The story is overall really funny and interesting. What I think is best about us how the members of fairy tail really cate each other.
The latest chapters took such dark yet interesting turn. I fell in love with it again.
booklovergal
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovergal.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by booklovergal »

I'm addicted to the Fairy Tail manga! I never really watched the anime that much, but as soon as I came across the manga I was besotted. I'm not really an avid manga reader- I only follow two series. I'm so glad Fairy Tail is one of them *O*
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

To be honest I wasn't that interested in Fairy Tail when I first watched it, yet somehow I've gotten quite far in reading the manga. I've watched the anime as well. There are some really great themes in Fairy Tail, especially the theme of family. I don't really care for the fan service, some would be fine, there is just too much of it in my personal opinion. Fairy Tail will never be a favorite of mine, but I do enjoy certain aspects of the plot and the struggles all of them do their best to move forward and become stronger. There are times when it feels like the story is dragging on and on, but I wouldn't say that occurs too frequently.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

The fanservice and comedy is what keeps getting me stuck before I can get to the part that attracts everyone, I think. People keep on telling me I'll love it once I get to ch 11 or so...but I just can't make it past ch4. Do you think its worth just skipping straight ahead (and fillers in between), or will I lose story/character that way?
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:The fanservice and comedy is what keeps getting me stuck before I can get to the part that attracts everyone, I think. People keep on telling me I'll love it once I get to ch 11 or so...but I just can't make it past ch4. Do you think its worth just skipping straight ahead (and fillers in between), or will I lose story/character that way?
Hmm that's a tough question to answer. My personal opinion is that if the comedy and fan service make you loose interest you shouldn't force yourself to continue reading. You can try to continue by skipping but there are many characters that join or battle against Fairy Tail guild and some of these characters are mentioned or come back. While I have gotten pretty far in the series I haven't made much progress with it lately due to the slow progress of the story and feeling dissatisfied with the level of development the characters have gone through. I think sometimes stories can be dragged on for too long. If it isn't pushing the main goal/plot forward then it shouldn't have its own arc. Ultimately it is up to you to decide, but I don't think skipping will help because the comedy and fan service never goes away. It even happens in serious battles. Fairy Tail isn't all bad and does have great factors, but it is easily shawdowed by the things that bug me. I hope this was somewhat helpful in helping you decide. :wink:
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I can see myself getting easily impatient that way. Maybe it's not worth reading further for me, in that case. It's a shame because I've heard the story itself is quite interesting, but I'm not a fan of lots of filler in a manga (Bleach was bad enough) nor comedy, much...and don't even get me started on the fanservice issue. :D I've heard the anime has the same issues, so I guess if I want to know the story, either someone will tell it to me eventually (after getting impatient for me to get past ch 4, lol), or I'll read the summary myself somewhere. Thanks a lot for the explanation!
poetrythanki

Post by poetrythanki »

DancingSouls wrote:To be honest I wasn't that interested in Fairy Tail when I first watched it, yet somehow I've gotten quite far in reading the manga. I've watched the anime as well. There are some really great themes in Fairy Tail, especially the theme of family. I don't really care for the fan service, some would be fine, there is just too much of it in my personal opinion. Fairy Tail will never be a favorite of mine, but I do enjoy certain aspects of the plot and the struggles all of them do their best to move forward and become stronger. There are times when it feels like the story is dragging on and on, but I wouldn't say that occurs too frequently.
You're right!! FT was my first Anime/Manga. There are far better Manga now that I've discovered more of them but still the diversity keeps me in the fandom. I do agree with you about the story getting dragged for too long.

-- 21 Nov 2016, 11:34 --
Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:The fanservice and comedy is what keeps getting me stuck before I can get to the part that attracts everyone, I think. People keep on telling me I'll love it once I get to ch 11 or so...but I just can't make it past ch4. Do you think its worth just skipping straight ahead (and fillers in between), or will I lose story/character that way?
If you want to see what's the hype about start from : Galuna Island Arc. I find it hard myself to keep watching it and the lead, Lucy annoyed me a little. But the story picks up pace since Galuna Island Arc. I don't think you'll miss anything.

-- 21 Nov 2016, 11:37 --
DancingSouls wrote:
Hmm that's a tough question to answer. My personal opinion is that if the comedy and fan service make you loose interest you shouldn't force yourself to continue reading. You can try to continue by skipping but there are many characters that join or battle against Fairy Tail guild and some of these characters are mentioned or come back. While I have gotten pretty far in the series I haven't made much progress with it lately due to the slow progress of the story and feeling dissatisfied with the level of development the characters have gone through. I think sometimes stories can be dragged on for too long. If it isn't pushing the main goal/plot forward then it shouldn't have its own arc. Ultimately it is up to you to decide, but I don't think skipping will help because the comedy and fan service never goes away. It even happens in serious battles. Fairy Tail isn't all bad and does have great factors, but it is easily shawdowed by the things that bug me. I hope this was somewhat helpful in helping you decide. :wink:
I agree with you!! FT doesn't need fan service or dumb humor but I love the main plot quite too much that I overlook all the things that bug me.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”