Are you my mother? by Alison Bechdel

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Are you my mother? by Alison Bechdel

Post by gaporter »

Are you my mother? is a comic drama by Alison Bechdel. It's not your standard comic book that's focused on heros and villians or humor. It's an illustrated memoir about a woman applying psychoanalytic theories to her relationship with her mother and therapists. The mother does not appear to be outright abusive or neglectful, but nonetheless, the relationship seems strained and unsatisfying while still maintaining a mutual love. I find the story and revelations to be very relatable. Despite being very specific about her own life and relationships, the themes and emotions are most likely universal and may appeal to a large number of readers.

I plan to reread this book a few more times and I will investigate further into the writings of the therapists and writers that are quoted. I recommend this book to anyone that is looking for something thought provoking or wants to explore why certain relationships in their life feel slightly off. The illustrations are simple yet convey emotion and flow seamlessly with the introspective writing. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the timelines got a little confusing by jumping around.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

When I saw the title, my first thought was of the cute children's book by the same name, but this sounds great too in a totally different way!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

The title of this book is actually based on the Dr. Seuss book! There is a section at the end using the children's story as a metaphor for some psychological principles. It's really interesting!
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

gaporter wrote: 14 Jul 2016, 11:11 I recommend this book to anyone that is looking for something thought provoking or wants to explore why certain relationships in their life feel slightly off. The illustrations are simple yet convey emotion and flow seamlessly with the introspective writing. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the timelines got a little confusing by jumping around.

Bechdel is great at referencing other works and philosophers in her stories.

I started reading Are you my Mother? but never finished. I read her first book, Fun Home first, which in my opinion is much better. It takes place before Are you my Mother , mostly set during Bechdel's childhood and into her college years, and is more focused on her father. It was also turned into a musical. Have you read Fun Home ? I'm curious to know your opinions of it if so.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I read this too! I agree with Courtney when she writes,
courtneymcreative wrote: 26 May 2018, 13:18
gaporter wrote: 14 Jul 2016, 11:11 Fun Home first, which in my opinion is much better.
However, I still found this one interesting, especially as someone whose mother tries to love but is so full of her own stuff/narcissistic tendencies in spite of herself, that it can be difficult to have an authentic relationship with her. This made this book relevant and interesting to me, despite the greater wordiness/academic nature of it, more difficult structure, etc.

Fun Home left me frustrated, even angry, with Alison's dad. This book seemed to me to "balance that out" a bit also. Alison's mom wasn't so perfect either...
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”