The Walking Dead Comic Book Series by: Robert Kirkman

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BMac1480
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmac1480.html

The Walking Dead Comic Book Series by: Robert Kirkman

Post by BMac1480 »

Once a comic strip, The Walking Dead has come far. This series has progressed into books and even a television series which has amassed a huge fan base. If you have seen the television series, a look into Kirkman's original world and characters will give you a whole new insight into the workings of your favorite characters in this post-apocalyptic world. Unlike many other TV shows based on books and novels, you will be surprised to see that the show's universe does not mirror that of the book. Though much of this motley group is preserved, the journey, individual situations, and even deaths of characters may come as a shock.

Well written with a variety of characters and life-altering situations, this series will have you laughing, sighing, dropping your jaw, and nearly crying as the unforeseeable events unfold before you very eyes with stunning graphics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I've read Days Gone Bye, and I'm planning to read more.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
BMac1480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmac1480.html

Post by BMac1480 »

Gravy wrote:I've read Days Gone Bye, and I'm planning to read more.
How did you like "Days Gone Bye"? I have not been a huge comic book fan in the past but someone told me about this and after I got ahold of the first couple books, I found I just had to keep reading. This was before the show came out so I enjoyed comparing characters and events between the two mediums. People often ask me about the books and how they differ and how they remain the same from the show.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm only just venturing into the world of graphic novels, Days Gone Bye was actually the first one I read, but I'm throwing myself into it. I just finished V for Vendetta and absolutely loved it.

As for Walking Dead, I've watched the series all along and I enjoy seeing how they shot certain things to coincide with some of the artwork. I like a lot about it, and I'm looking forward to reading further.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
hopecamp98
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by hopecamp98 »

I have read quite a few of the Walking Dead Comic Book Series but I love them They go deep into how the characters change and include many detailed drawings. However, what you failed to mention is the incredible differences that there are between the books and their television counterpart. The characters while some are the same are vastly changes as the show keeps some unkillable while killing off those who were never meant to be. Also, even the basic story line diverges greatly though it has been attempting to get itself back on the right track.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I have the first book in the series sitting on my shelf, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm excited to start! I enjoy the tv show, though sometimes it can be too much to watch so often.
fsdred
Favorite Author: Rainbow Rowell
Currently Reading: Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fsdred.html
fav_author_id: 2837

Post by fsdred »

I recieved 'Days Gone Bye' an 'Miles Behind Us' for Christmas last year as I am a fan of the tv show. I only recently got around to reading them and fell in love straight away, I find the comic books are so much better than the show (but it's in ways the show wouldn't be able to truly capture). I can't wait to read the rest of them!! :lol:
SlayRich

Post by SlayRich »

I'm a new comic book fan and the walking dead was my first series i ever read in comics. I bought the first few volumes and kept ordering more, I was hooked and still love it. I'm completely caught up on the series and it's better than ever. I think volume 8 is the best one in the series with several newer volumes and very close to the best. Truly a great read.
Sweet Angel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-angel.html

Post by Sweet Angel »

Walking dead series was my second to read in comics books. As soon as I started reading I was hooked. I have also watch the tv show and it was good. Have a lot of detail and well written.
HelloMaggie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellomaggie.html

Post by HelloMaggie »

I love how The Walking Dead focuses on so many types of people. It's not just about Rick and his group. It's about the whole world they occupy now. I'm super psyched to see how this season coming up ties in with the comic books.
Mjfrazier23
Currently Reading: Falling into You
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjfrazier23.html

Post by Mjfrazier23 »

I have read them all! I can't wait to see where the story takes us :)
BellaReyna
Currently Reading: Warm Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by BellaReyna »

I love The Walking Dead comics, I have all three compendiums at the moment and can't put them down! I also wouldn't mind reading the novels that Robert Kirkman wrote with Jay Bonansinga such as the rise and the fall of the governor. I love reading the different aspects the comic offers compared to it's television counterpart.
I must admit I did start reading the comics because of the show, however, I think I enjoy the comic version best as its more raw and real and the show has kind of been a overly theatrical let down lately instead of the feeling like you are living it with them like when you read about it.
sbradford411

Post by sbradford411 »

I love The Walking Dead comics. Definitely more than the show, but I love most comics. I love how The Walking Dead focuses on the characters and not just blood and gore. Although, blood and gore is cool, too. I'm caught up in the comics and just patiently wait for the next ones to come out. I bought the novels for my boyfriend, who has read them all. He loves them. It will be interesting to see where the show and comics go from here, because both are in a critical time for the characters and story line.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

I'm one of those people that if I learn the TV show/movie is based off of a book, I'll dig around until I find said book. It was no different when watching The Walking Dead. I've only read the first Compendium, but I highly enjoyed it, especially how different it is from the TV show.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

I've read the first five or six volumes, and I've watched the first 2 seasons. It is very entertaining, and it is so action packed. The show and the comics are similar but different at the same times, which makes the experience overall more enjoyable.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”