Graphic Novel Recommendations

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Graphic Novel Recommendations

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I don't usually read graphic novels but I recently did read Amulet (I do not remember who wrote it) and absolutely loved it. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Love this thread, I am just now getting into graphic novels at the insistence of my husband! Great to get some good recommendations from you all :D
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Following! I love graphic novels.

I recommend The Darkness. It is the story of a young mafia hitman who discovers he has the power to control demons. Its pretty and spooky at the same time. If you're a gamer you might also be interested in the game version.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I'm pretty inexperienced in the world of graphic novels, so thank you everyone, for the great recommendations in this thread!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Darkstar review
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Darkstar review »

I love graphic novels personally swamp thing :geek2: :tiphat: :mrgreen2: :mrgreen:
EmSwan
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emswan.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by EmSwan »

umbrella academy! I originally picked this because of the author, Gerard Way, but it started a love for comics and it's going to be made into a netflix series!
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

Graphic Novel - Comic.
Is there a difference?
Discuss................
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I've always thought that Graphic Novels were just thicker comics, but I've never really cared for the difference. But if anyone's into horror comics, I highly recommend Nailbiter! It's a super gory comic about a small town that's produced the last 12 most notorious serial killers. It's full of suspense, horror, and great characters in an original story line.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MoseyProse »

I always thought graphic novel was just a fancy and more 'literature' sounding name for comic books.

My personal favourites include:

Maus by Art Speigelman. It's a biographical recount of the author's father as he struggled through the 2nd World War as a Polish Jew. Everyone in the comic is depicted as animals, but it definitely doesn't make it any easier to read. I highly recommend it, especially if you're interested in learning about the atrocities Jewish people had to go through during Hitler's reign.

Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann. It's been described as an anti-fairy tale, and it really is one. It tells the story of tiny people who struggle to live in the woods after evacuating from a dead girl's body. Yeah, seriously. Focusing on one little person called Aurora as she tries to survive and watches her friends fall one by one, this is an incredibly dark and moving story that will haunt you long after you read it. If you liked The Borrowers and Lord of the Flies, you'll really like this story!

Also by the same author as Beautiful Darkness is Miss Don't Touch Me. With the same dark mood as the previous story, this story is about a young maid who, after watching her sister get brutally murdered, goes undercover in a brothel to find her killer. It is a twisted tale filled with debautchery, cold blooded killing and loss of innocence.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I recently read Pax Romana which i loved and will recommend...i honestly haven't read much graphic novels, which i will like to change. This thread will be a great beginning for that.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really enjoyed reading Watchmen, American Born Chinese, and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. I saw Watchmen as the movie first and then read the graphic novel to compare the two. I read American Born Chinese as part of an assignment for college and actually found it to be interesting because of the stories were told and how things like racism were handled. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac was purely for fun and because I want to see the author's, Jhonen Vasquez's, style since I'm more familiar with his work on the show, Invader Zim. I realize that these all have a lot of different styles and storylines, but I feel like I tend to pick up a lot of different things for just the pleasure of giving something a try.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
sbcollins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbcollins »

Persepolis! It's fantastic.
Sheenah684
Currently Reading: the rain watcher
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheenah684.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sheenah684 »

I'm excited to read the suggestions as I just read my first graphic novel, Persepolis, and really enjoyed it.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

magsinator wrote: 18 Jul 2016, 18:57 Fun Home by Alison Bechdel is a really amazing LBGT autobiographical graphic novel about the author's childhood and relationship to her father. I highly recommend it.

I also loved Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It's a graphic novel about growing up in Iran during the Cultural Revolution.

Also absolutely adoring the new Ms Marvel series by G Willow Wilson. Kamala Khan is great and highly entertaining.
I loved Persepolis too, I found it very current and relevant to all people. In my opinion, it is highly likely to become a classic after our time has passed.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

One book I didn't see making the rounds in here is Malice by Chris Wooding. I read it in middle school, and I loved it so much that it made me want to become my own comic book artist. It's a mixture of traditional reading and chunks of graphic panels sewn together, and the cumulative effect is an overall increased interest in the storyline. Even though it's classified as Young Adult, I think adults looking for an easy read would enjoy it, too.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”