Graphic Novel Recommendations

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReaperEMT
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Graphic Novel Recommendations

Post by ReaperEMT »

If you can't tell, Watchmen is definitely something you're going to want to look into, and I'm certainly going to recommend it as well. As has been stated before, even people who don't dig comic books should give it a read. Seconding those above me, The Dark Knight Returns is also phenomenal, and if you like Batman, the recent incarnation Batman: The Court of Owls is surprisingly good in my opinion.

Stay Frosty,
J
leslieslibrary

Post by leslieslibrary »

Idk how many people know about this, but Bee and Puppycat is pretty awesome!

-- 18 Jul 2016, 10:15 --

Sex Criminals is also another good one. I'm obsessed!
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

I Recommend the sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaimen. and Cages by Dave McKean.

-- 18 Jul 2016, 10:59 --

I Recommend the sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaimen. and Cages by Dave McKean. I almost forgot Chris Ware.
magsinator

Post by magsinator »

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel is a really amazing LBGT autobiographical graphic novel about the author's childhood and relationship to her father. I highly recommend it.

I also loved Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It's a graphic novel about growing up in Iran during the Cultural Revolution.

Also absolutely adoring the new Ms Marvel series by G Willow Wilson. Kamala Khan is great and highly entertaining.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I would recommend Flora and Ulysses, The Graveyard Book and A Wrinkle In Time.

These books already have a 'non-graphic novel' version, but I find the graphic novel versions of these books really funny and interesting! The pictures in them just brightened up the book.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
PaperPlanes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paperplanes.html

Post by PaperPlanes »

If you're looking for a quick read, I highly suggest Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. Very quirky and funny but it also has some dark undertones. Although I'm not into fairytale-esque stories, this one was intriguing and vague enough to make me want to read more into it.
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

I have to recommend Polarity by Max Bemis; just a quick glance at the cover and you know you're about to get yourself into something trippy and bizarre. What you might not expect however is how emotionally vested you'll get in the main character, a bipolar artist struggling with the loathing he feels for himself, his peers (and justly so!) and a sudden emergence of super powers?! So so so good.

I also really enjoyed Future's End, a rebooted story line from the New 52 set of comics. It pits Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond against an all powerful AI as he tries to save the world's heroes. Disturbing and emotionally provocative (and that's just the artwork!) you will also encounter sooo many heroes whose storylines are all woven together that you wind up learning a lot about comic figures you may not have known about before.

Let me know if you try them, I'd like to hear what you think :)
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I haven't read too many graphic novels but am starting to get into them, especially in times of reading slumps. I particularly enjoyed Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley
My weekend is all booked!
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

weiwei wrote:The Sculptor by Scott McCloud is a beautiful and heartbreaking graphic novel. The story is about a young sculptor named David Smith. By making a deal with Death, he gets to sculpt anything imaginable with his bare hands. The catch is that he only has 200 days to live. It took my breath away when I finished the last page. This story is more than just plots and twists. It is a very moving story and I strongly recommend this graphic novel.

I am adding this to my list of books to buy.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Watchmen, Sandman, Fables, Rat Queens... all brilliant.

-- 25 Aug 2016, 07:50 --

Oh, and Y: The Last Man is also great.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Alex_L wrote:One of my favorite graphic novel series is the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi. Book 7, Firelight, came out recently. While the plot takes it's sweet time you will be amazed by the art. If you highly appreciate the art aspect of graphic novels, the Amulet series is right for you.
Thanks for this recommendation. I'm going to look for a copy.
a_ring
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-ring.html

Post by a_ring »

Gravy wrote:What it says.

What graphic novels should others be reading, and why?

I just finished V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, and I highly recommend it. I admit to being biased, I loved the movie first, but this book is more than the sum of it's parts.
This was dystopian before dystopian was cool.
I was just wondering about graphic novel recommendations the other day. I've been wanting to read more but going into the store is a bit overwhelming for me with all the options. I actually came across the V for Vendetta series and was thinking about picking up a copy- now I definitely will!

I also recommend the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. These were my first experience with graphic novels and I loved them. If you are interested in horror the old 'Tales from the Crypt' are very good. You may need to buy them from Amazon due to their age but are definitely worth it if you're interested in that genre.
AT+rmarathon[16]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-at-rmarathon-16.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by AT+rmarathon[16] »

persepolis by marjane satrapi ..its the first ever graphic novel that I read..I loved the book because it has pictures all over ; talks about a serious time in Iran and yet manages to comically portray life through the eyes of a little girl growing up and her defiance against being suppressed.
SlayRich

Post by SlayRich »

I'd recommend the walking dead comic book series. They however are definitely for mature readers and contain much more violence and language than the TV show version. If you want a great series and can handle mature themes and a very mature comic I'd highly recommend it.
It is about a zombie apocalypse with a few survivors who work together to survive and build a community to save civilization. The story is ongoing and there are many deaths and gore so it may not be for you but if you want an outstanding dystopian world this is for you.
Other than the walking dead I'd definitely recommend watchmen, a classic and a must read.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I was just able to get Watchmen, so I'm hoping to read it soon. There are so many great suggestions! And so little time :lol:

I've been reading the Lazarus series by Greg Rucka. It's still a young series, the fifth compilation is just due out in a couple months. So far I've read two and I'm hooked!
It's set in a dystopian future, and is about a genetically enhanced woman who serves as her families protector, but things are not as they seem. Very good, and I love the artwork!

I'm curious about Descender but haven't been able to find it yet. If anyone has read it, I'd love to hear opinions!
gaporter wrote:
kb33 wrote:I've only read the first book of it but I really like Tank Girl. It's drawn in an interesting style with a female protagonist. It has a bunch of small stories that build into a larger story. Highly recommend.
I've heard other high recommendations for Tank Girl. Is there an accompanying movie as well, or am I crossing it with something else?
@"gaporter"
It was made into a film back in '95. Here's a link to the IMDB page.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”