Graphic Novel Recommendations

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AtomMud
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Graphic Novel Recommendations

Post by AtomMud »

The Uncanny X men - one of the best and most memorable X men series I own vol 4.
Marvel Super Heroes Contest of Champions-- an old favorite.
Tomb Raider: Season of the Witch vol 1 is a very interesting read and really any fan of the series should definitely check it out.
Saga - Amazing artwork even better story, it is also very Sci fi heavy. So I love it very much, and if you enjoy sci fi you will too.
Marvel Noir:(Iron and Spider man) my favorite marvel series so far the other marvel noir are really good there story is just kinda of lack luster compared to the Spider man and Iron man ones
Low- very cerebral and unique yet down right pretty art work
Black Science-- another very Sci fi heavy one also by Image comics
Batman by Frank Miller-- I mean it is batman brought to by the genius behind Sin City what more could you ask for? Ninja turtles possibly other than that not much.
Marvel : Civil War. I know this is an older one it is probably my 3rd favorite story arc (from Marvel) right behind House of M. Although if you not into X men really I would recommend you skip House of M.
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

kb33 wrote: 25 May 2016, 12:54 I've only read the first book of it but I really like Tank Girl. It's drawn in an interesting style with a female protagonist. It has a bunch of small stories that build into a larger story. Highly recommend.
TANK GIRL!

I'm always looking for people who mention this. Personally, I've never read the stories but I've watched the movie. I've been hard pressed to find anyone that's heard of it. Have you seen the film?
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

"Watchmen" by Alan Moore.
There's a forum dedicated just to this book where I went on and on about how good it is and how it's the best graphic novel to get into graphic novels. It's probably my favorite of all time. A bunch of people have already talked about it here but I just had to mention it again. It's that good.

Other amazing books, which I realize after writing this list are all based in realism or are non-fiction and are all black and white:

"Blankets" by Craig Thompson. The artwork is black and white but beautiful. A coming-of-age romance, but not the cheesy cliche type. It's based on Thompson's life, but it's not supposed to be autobiographical.

"Habibi" by Craig Thompson. Again, black-and-white, gorgeous artwork. It often plays with the artistic nature of the Arabic written language to create the illustrations, which is just genius. It's a sad story, and can be tough to read for some people but it's really touching and well written. It also deals with themes about Islam and Christianity, going into the stories behind each religion and how they are similar and different, which is so relevant today.

"Maus" by Art Spiegelman. Non-fiction stories about the Holocaust and life afterwards. Obviously there's some tough themes there, but the way Spiegelman draws the characters as animals is a brilliant symbol. It's also good because it talks about the Holocaust and it's effect during that time, but also talks about how people that lived through the Holocaust are still effected for years later, and how their children and children's children are effected as well.

"Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel. Non-fiction book about family and relationships. Bechdel is really smart with her allusions to other works and philosophers, so there's a lot to dive into there. The themes are relatable and honest. It was also turned into a musical, if you're into that.

If you're really into graphic novels, I would say you should read Will Eisnor, who's known as the sort of father of graphic novels. He basically invented the best way to draw rain in comics, which is pretty interesting. His stories are usually short and about real people with real issues. Scott Mcloud also has a graphic novel about graphic novels (this one uses color!), which is meta. It's clever, well done and very informative. It explains everything about graphic novels and basically shows everyone how graphic novels shouldn't be considered lesser than any other type of literature. It also references a lot of other comics and graphic novels so it can give you an idea of other people to read. It's called "Understand Comics" which is a pretty straightforward title.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Heartaches-Bad Boy Vibes by H M Irwing. It is a series of 3 books. I have read two of them and I believe that anyone who loves romantic graphic novels would love them. I have also done a review of one of them.
arinjerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by arinjerry »

I've only read the first book of it
but I really like Tank Girl. It's
drawn in an interesting style with
a female protagonist. It has a
bunch of small stories that build
into a larger story. Highly
recommend.
arinjerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by arinjerry »

I agree with the people that said
to read Watchmen. I think
everyone should read Watchmen,
even people that have never
picked up a graphic novel before.
It is one of my all time favorite
novels and has really stayed with
me ever since I read it.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

arinjerry wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 12:37 I agree with the people that said
me ever since I read it.
Everyone needs keeps saying "Watchmen". It must be really fantastic! I think maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and check it out. I can't just pass up the opportunity for a good read~
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
MollyA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MollyA »

Monstress by Marjorie Liu is absolutely beautiful. Sana Takeda is the illustrator, and their art is absolutely stunning.

It’s set in the 1900s in a matriarchal society. The story follows Maika as she attempts to avenge her mother’s death in a world that is at war. There’s magic, demons, and all other manner of supernatural happenings. It’s honestly incredible.
Thalobleu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B075VS89SW

Post by Thalobleu »

I’ve noticed a lot of people say Alan Moore. I am not a fan of his. I do love graphic novels/comics/web-comics/mangas.

As far as graphic novels go. I think it really depends on your mood. I feel intimidated trying to jump into massive stories like those of DC or Marvel. It gets confusing fast. Especially if you run into a problem finding the next trade or single issue.

The first western comics I started with were actually web-comics. When I moved on to print, I read Blankets by Craig Thompson. It’s a really good coming of age story about a young man living in a very religious community. The entire story is contained in a thick volume so you don’t have to hunt down heroes.

But, what made me fall in love was Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore. It's almost a comic soap opera about two ladies and the lives they lead.

I also love all graphic novels by Jen Wang. She recently published The Prince and the Dressmaker. It is a delightful story about a young girl who is employed by a prince to be his seamstress.

Though if you want something short, sweet and help you get into alternative comics, I recommend the Flight series. They are anthologies of self-contained stories that use simple story boarding.

I also like Saga, as previously mentioned.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for Comics V Graphic Novels.
To me a comic has the connotation that is readable in a 20 page issue. Which is what most single issues are like Archie or Batman. The stories tend to be a genre ie Action, drama, mystery, fantasy.

A graphic novel, reads like a novel. It is designed from the start to be a cohesive story in visual form. Most graphic novels are more than twenty pages and follow the character arch from beginning to end in one complete segment without making you wait per issue. I find graphic novels to put more emotion into the stories.

For example. The Watchman I could call a comic. Alan Moore’s other work From Hell, I consider a graphic novel.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

How to Read Comics by Scott McCloud is a great way to start. American Born Chinese is fantastic, as is Persepolis!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

weiwei wrote: 29 Apr 2016, 13:57 The Sculptor by Scott McCloud is a beautiful and heartbreaking graphic novel. The story is about a young sculptor named David Smith. By making a deal with Death, he gets to sculpt anything imaginable with his bare hands. The catch is that he only has 200 days to live. It took my breath away when I finished the last page. This story is more than just plots and twists. It is a very moving story and I strongly recommend this graphic novel.
I absolutely loved and loathed this book. It made me bawl my eyes out and definitely took my breath away too. It was fantastic, complex, and sad.
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

The Locke and Key series, written by Joe Hill and illustrated by Gabriel Rodríguez, is absolutely beautiful. It deals with death, magic, family, ghosts, mystery, murder, and so much more. Each book adds something new and the series as a whole feels complete. I would highly recommend it.
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Paul C wrote: 09 Jun 2016, 12:08 If you like Watchmen, you may enjoy The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, and especially The Killing Joke (which is written by Alan Moore and is freaken phenomanal-!).
I wholeheartedly second this. I also think anything from the Capullo-Snyder Batman run is worth a read. I'd include Frank Miller's Daredevil: Born Again as well. Miller wrote The Dark Knight Returns recommended above.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Tamorie21 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 12:15
arinjerry wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 12:37 I agree with the people that said
me ever since I read it.
Everyone needs keeps saying "Watchmen". It must be really fantastic! I think maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and check it out. I can't just pass up the opportunity for a good read~
Yes, yes, yes. Read Watchmen!
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”