Graphic Novel Recommendations

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Graphic Novel Recommendations

Post by Gravy »

What it says.

What graphic novels should others be reading, and why?

I just finished V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, and I highly recommend it. I admit to being biased, I loved the movie first, but this book is more than the sum of it's parts.
This was dystopian before dystopian was cool.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
weiwei
Currently Reading: golden boy
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weiwei.html
Latest Review: "Who Killed Little Johnny Gill" by Kathryn McMaster

Post by weiwei »

The Sculptor by Scott McCloud is a beautiful and heartbreaking graphic novel. The story is about a young sculptor named David Smith. By making a deal with Death, he gets to sculpt anything imaginable with his bare hands. The catch is that he only has 200 days to live. It took my breath away when I finished the last page. This story is more than just plots and twists. It is a very moving story and I strongly recommend this graphic novel.
Latest Review: "Who Killed Little Johnny Gill" by Kathryn McMaster
captainhammerica
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainhammerica.html

Post by captainhammerica »

When it comes to graphic novels I think you can't go wrong with Alan Moore. Watchmen in particular is a very entertaining and influential read. Superhero comics have never been the same since he wrote this, and it's mature approach to a genre that had been used with kid gloves for generations was revolutionary. And of course society is portrayed with Moore's trademark anarchist view of the world...sadly, that fictional future is starting to look fairly familiar in contemporary society.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

If you are a fan of the X-Men, one of my favorites is X-Men: Magneto Testament. It give the backstory of Magneto, and tells about his life as a young boy in a concentration camp. Magneto has always been one of my favorite villains, and even though he did not originally have this story, I like that they went back and gave it to him. I feel like it gives his character so much more depth- he is protecting himself and those like him because he has seen and experienced what people do to those who are different. I thought it was a great series.

I also like Bryan K. Vaughn's Pride of Baghdad, if you are looking for something not superhero related. This is a beautiful piece of work.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I second recommending Watchmen if you liked V for Vendetta. I also think Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is more than your standard superhero book. It has some dark themes. As for super hero stories, I'm partial to Thor :) . I like how some of the volumes of Thor focus on sibling rivalry and old Norse stories among other themes. More depth than other super hero comics about beating up random bad guys from outer space or wherever.
kb33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb33.html

Post by kb33 »

I've only read the first book of it but I really like Tank Girl. It's drawn in an interesting style with a female protagonist. It has a bunch of small stories that build into a larger story. Highly recommend.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

kb33 wrote:I've only read the first book of it but I really like Tank Girl. It's drawn in an interesting style with a female protagonist. It has a bunch of small stories that build into a larger story. Highly recommend.
I've heard other high recommendations for Tank Girl. Is there an accompanying movie as well, or am I crossing it with something else?
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I agree with the people that said to read Watchmen. I think everyone should read Watchmen, even people that have never picked up a graphic novel before. :) It is one of my all time favorite novels and has really stayed with me ever since I read it.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I read Watchman for a book challenge. It was my first graphic novel and I absolutely loved it! I recommend it!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
NolaLady03
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by NolaLady03 »

Graphic novels are fast becoming a genre that has a huge following particularly if included manga. That another topic by itself. I love horror and my spouse gave me graphic novel titled Dead High Yearbook. This was collection of stories that told in vein old horror classic Tales from Darksides as stories been told two main narrators and spoilers alert are connected. The stories are woven by different authors which you can tell yet they make a nice supernatural blanket of horror and Gore.
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

weiwei wrote:The Sculptor by Scott McCloud is a beautiful and heartbreaking graphic novel. The story is about a young sculptor named David Smith. By making a deal with Death, he gets to sculpt anything imaginable with his bare hands. The catch is that he only has 200 days to live. It took my breath away when I finished the last page. This story is more than just plots and twists. It is a very moving story and I strongly recommend this graphic novel.

I have passed on this one several times.next time I will brring it home.

I picked up this little gem called Bird in a Cage.

Sad but thought provoking.
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu
karen arredondo
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by karen arredondo »

Other than Watchmen, I recommend "The Umbrella Academy" by Gerard Way since it has a similar anti-hero theme. It is pretty interesting if you like that kind of topic.
Paul C
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Paul C »

If you like Watchmen, you may enjoy The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, and especially The Killing Joke (which is written by Alan Moore and is freaken phenomanal-!).
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

NolaLady03 wrote:Graphic novels are fast becoming a genre that has a huge following particularly if included manga. That another topic by itself. I love horror and my spouse gave me graphic novel titled Dead High Yearbook. This was collection of stories that told in vein old horror classic Tales from Darksides as stories been told two main narrators and spoilers alert are connected. The stories are woven by different authors which you can tell yet they make a nice supernatural blanket of horror and Gore.
Dead High Yearbook sounds really interesting! I think that I will need to check it out- I love Tales from the Darkside...
Alex_L
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-l.html

Post by Alex_L »

One of my favorite graphic novel series is the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi. Book 7, Firelight, came out recently. While the plot takes it's sweet time you will be amazed by the art. If you highly appreciate the art aspect of graphic novels, the Amulet series is right for you.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”