Review of Sonora Pass

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Sonora Pass

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jonathan, Tony, Esteban, Claude, Armand, and Celia are the Jabberwocky Band members. They had performed together for a long time; Jonathan has been playing the sax, Tony the drums, Esteban the keyboard, Claude the jazz guitar, Armand the bass, and Celia had been the singer in the group. With the addition of two other members, Rodrigo (a drummer) and Raul (a bassist), they throw their college friends a Jabberwocky reunion party. Celia had been having a relationship with Rodrigo, but she had begun hitting on Esteban. During the party, Celia is murdered.

Meanwhile, Cumpukore Company has allegedly stolen the Tridex Air Traffic Control Software owned by Candix Company, a software that was to be tested by Esteban before the murder. Jonathan, being an undercover private investigator, is contracted by Candix to investigate the theft of the software. He is also contracted by Celia's friends to investigate her murder (in which Esteban is being blamed as the prime suspect). Will he manage to unravel both mysteries? Who killed Celia, and is her murder a crime of passion? Read Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmos, a comic book.

This is the first graphic novel I've read, and it has made me fall in love with comics. I loved most aspects of this book, and I found it difficult and challenging to choose the one which I loved the most. I loved the book in its entirety, but I can narrow the enjoyment to the interesting story it narrates. The author manages to tell two stories at once without compromising either—the stories include that of the mystery of the murder of Celia at the Jabberwocky Band reunion party and the probe into the theft of Candix's Air Traffic Control Software by Cumpukore. It was thrilling to follow the stories to the end.

The mystery is also on another level, considering it is intertwined with well-sustained suspense and tension. I made several guesses to try and solve some of the mysteries as I read, and I got some correct and went completely off in some. For example, I initially thought Rodrigo was Celia's murderer because of how suspiciously he behaved by strongly blaming Esteban and because he had been in a relationship with Celia and he was seemingly overly jealous of Celia's relationship with Esteban. It came as a shock that it wasn't as I had thought and neither was Esteban the murderer—the cause of the murder was something unlikely to happen, something from Celia's past.

I may not be able to list everything I liked due to the word limit and for the sake of the review's brevity. However, I can summarize the comic as an amazing, well-written book with an amazing narration that kept me on the edge of my seat to the last page. It is a masterpiece of perfect narration at its core.

However, the book has a few errors, but it seems professionally edited. It has a profane word and a slightly erotic scene, so it isn't an age-appropriate book for younger audiences. Weighing all these factors, the book deserves a 4 out of 4. I found nothing negative about it, so there's no reason to deduct a star.

I recommend the book to those who like graphic novels or comics that are inclined to romance and crime mystery.

Sonora Pass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

As per this review the book definitely has some great suspense and thrill inside its pages and the review is making me to go to read this book. Nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I like the use of suspense in this book. Thank you for a great feedback.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Two stories in one and telling it well, must be nice. The first story seem a little plain, but I like the second story.
Eva brook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-brook.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Eva brook »

It looks like the book is keeping the reader involved and always triggered. Very nice and helpful review.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I have never read a graphic novel before, so I guess I would give this one a try. It seems quite interesting. Thanks for your honest review.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

This review has made me want to read this book badly. It seems an intriguing book judging from the summary of this review.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

The book deserves 4 out of 4 stars! however, it has a few errors but it was an amazing well written book..thanks for the nice review..
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Just like a movie's production part that can fail it or make it so is a book. The review clarifies that the narration is chronological hence making it a book to read as it has the needed quality.
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

Sonora pass is specially and gracefully brilliant with the author who did seamlessly well
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I don't like books with vulgar language so I'll pass on reading this
Poetic Justice
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Mystery and crime at its core judging from your review. I'd like this on my shelf.
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

I'm really curious to know if he solved the mysteries. I definitely know he did because that how mystery books are. Nice review anyway.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I don't like this book because I found a lot of errors in it while reading. Nonetheless it is an interesting book
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Interesting review! Seems there are a lot of twists and mysteries to solve. I'm curious to know the cause of Celia's murder.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”