Official Review: 2020, The Year We Were All Cancelled!

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: 2020, The Year We Were All Cancelled!

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2020, The Year We Were All Cancelled!" by Stella Perrett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year 2020 has been a stressful one for all of us. The unexpected happened and no one was ready for it. 2020, The Year We Were All Cancelled! by Stella Perrett recounts the events of 2020 in a more fun and engaging way, using cartoons and images. If you would like a reminder of what happened in 2020, then this is the book to read. There’s everything from the UK’s first lockdown to the election in America, and much more.

Stella Perrett is a political cartoonist for a national daily newspaper. Unfortunately, one of her illustrations didn’t sit well with the readers, and as a result, Perrett faced a great deal of backlash and hate. Perrett outlines some of the other things political cartoonists faced for their work.

This was a very interesting read; it’s different from what I usually read. The book contains illustrations, photographs, and snippets from news articles. It is presented in a simple format that is eye-catching and easily readable. I think Perrett has put the right amount of information on each page; if there was any more, it would be overwhelming. I honestly enjoyed flipping through the pages on my iPad. At only 69 pages, this was a quick read. This book can be finished in one sitting, or it can be enjoyed slowly.

The book focuses primarily on events that occurred in the UK, but it does mention briefly events that occurred in other countries as well. I appreciate that Perrett put trigger warnings throughout the book to warn readers that certain pages might be offensive. It’s really sad reading about the hate she and others got for their work because everyone should be allowed to express their opinions.

The only thing I didn’t like is that some of the illustrations were unclear. As a result, I was unable to read the text that was in the illustrations; it was a bit disappointing because I was looking forward to reading it.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I had fun reading it and I enjoyed reading something different. I found no mistakes, so it was professionally edited. For those of you who are interested in becoming a political cartoonist or you are one, this book would be appealing to you. I also recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about politics. Since some of the topics are sensitive, the book is not appropriate to a young audience.

2020, The Year We Were All Cancelled!
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I can only imagine how tough it must be to have your work subject to ridicule and hate when it differs from other people's opinions. Kudos to the author for still going at it despite the backlash. The fun and humorous approach to some of the events of 2020 might be an interesting read. Thanks for the great review!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

It’s nice to hear that this author is presenting the events of 2020 with cartoons. It was a tough year and this would make it more enjoyable to read.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Political cartoons are an easy way to get kids involved in politics. I love those pueces Isee in my Sunday newspaper. I can't waot to read this book about 2020 and reflect on the whirlwind that came with it.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

This is very lovely. 2020, as much as we would love to forget it, was a unique year in it's own right. And using cartoons to depict It is cool. Great review too.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

I was caught by the title of this book. 2020 is a year we all will always remember.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Wow! Would love to read this book, especially when politics is written in a fun easy to digest manner! Thanks for your review!
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I'm moving this to my Want To Read shelf if for no other reason than to support the author for being brave enough to produce this book in today's world that is filled with haters refusing to allow anyone to share their own opinions without ridicule. I will probably read this one very soon! Thanks for your review!
La_lama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-lama.html
Latest Review: Thriving in the Storm by Bill Murphy

Post by La_lama »

This read seems like it’ll be a great laugh. 2020 has such a bad rep. I personally think it wasn’t that bad . I wonder what the authors views are about that.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

There is this funny meme on the internet that nobody should add 2020 into one's age. Truly, 2020 should be cancelled. It had nothing positive to add and its aftermath has not settled. Great review I must confess.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

it's informative for narrating and illustrating how the lockeddown has began from UK. As a Nigerian, 2020 Covid19 affected us as well; and I will love to see how the author has illustrated the description of the Lockdown.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Definitely will be putting this on my bookshelf. Thanks for this great review. Kudos to the author for making light out of what has been such a hard 2020

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”