Review by TasiWin -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by TasiWin -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by TasiWin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz is a graphic book with illustrations done by Aleksandar Jovic, Mike Wolfe, and Heroud Ramos. This book shows different interpretations of old age. The good and the bad, including challenges experienced by the elderly. Each of the seven chapters has a telling title of the content it covers. My favorites were the chapters called, The Meaning of Life, and, Some Things Really are Golden. These two were the most positive subjects in the book. The author talks about the meaningful areas in life and what to be grateful for as time progresses. In the 108 pages, the author covers a huge array of issues: disease, mental and physical deterioration, death, societal treatment of the elderly, and ways to change our attitude where they are concerned.

The title correctly depicts the poignancy experienced during the autumn season. When the warmth and vibrancy of summer dwindle, and the harshness of winter draws near. The parallels drawn between the climatic seasons and those in one's life, are thought-evoking and will leave the reader more empathetic towards the characters in the story.

Hartz and his cartoonists collaborate to successfully come up with a narrative that is both emotive and thought-provoking. The fact that the intended message reaches its audience, in such a short read, is a testament to their success.

The different cartoonists employ different styles in their work which adds on to the authentic feel of the book. They all use a mixture of banner lines and balloon texts in their illustrations, making the read constant enough that it does not distract the reader.

I enjoyed the deep messages that were hidden behind simplistic images and an easy, often humorous, narrative. The author delivers a sharp message that is a wake-up call to many with elderly people in their lives. He is able to do this in a light manner that most readers will respond to.

I loved everything about this book. I wish I could force everyone to read it. There was nothing to dislike. I found no errors. A lot of thought was put into editing. The single-pane images were beautiful and the colorful cover oddly complemented the black and white pages. 

For these reasons, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to anyone with an old person in their life. A little attitude adjustment would be beneficial to both parties. The language used is good enough for even young adults to read. This is a valuable book for everyone to have, especially for those looking to understand the elderly better.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Oh this sounds like a very enjoyable book to read. The review is perfectly done. Thank you for the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”