Review by Nkoo -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Review by Nkoo -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Nkoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years: not golden but interesting by Arthur Hartz is a collection of stand-alone cartoons and commentaries. This quick read propagates the idea that nothing is more hilarious than growing older and dying. The novel helps readers to look on the bright side of aging and consequent death. It comprises 108 pages and divided into seven chapters. Each chapter is apposite to some fundamental issues about senior citizens. It captures the illustrations in black and white.

The book's language and grammar are simple; anyone can read and understand it. The comics are straightforward; anyone can deduce the intended humor from the narratives. Its overall layout and presentation are orderly. Its tone is fun and friendly; I finished reading it in one sitting. The novel teaches everyone to treat senior citizens with respect, empathy, and patience. Younger readers will learn to prepare for the golden age, while older readers will learn that growing older is normal. Readers with aging parents or relatives will find it relatable, just as I did.

The best part is that Hartz is well-suited to write this novel. With years of experience in the medical profession, he understands older people. I also liked how the author worked with three first-rate cartoonists from diverse backgrounds and created an engaging story. The author and his team did an enjoyable job of employing humor while tackling sensitive issues. Working together, they brought a silver lining to aging. That there is absolute honesty in the jokes makes the novel more interesting. I liked the brevity of the comics. The commentaries were thought-provoking and insightful.

Readers will grin from the beginning of the novel. The second page made an impact on me. The commentary on it states thus, "What gets on the floor, stays on the floor." It is an illustration of an old lady with a walking stick. Her handbag drops on the floor, and her medications spill. She cannot bend over because her back hurts; she stares at the floor helplessly. Though comical, this scenario is an accurate representation of the daily life of the elderly.

I enjoyed reading Our Autumn Years: not golden but interesting. There was nothing I disliked about it. It appeared to be impeccably edited; I found a punctuation error in it. I found an instance of profanity; it contains no sexual content. For the above reasons, I rate this book four out of four stars. I did not give it a lower rating because it is informative. Since aging is inevitable, I recommend it to everyone, particularly readers who enjoy graphic novels and comics.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems great and heart-touching. I will consider reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book is really amazing! It has humor, but also some sad moments. The author did a great job. Thanks for the insightful review! I really enjoyed reading it!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 13:10 This book seems great and heart-touching. I will consider reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words and time.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:

Post by Nkoo »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 07:28 This book is really amazing! It has humor, but also some sad moments. The author did a great job. Thanks for the insightful review! I really enjoyed reading it!
Glad to know that you enjoyed reading the book as well. Thank you for your time.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”