Review by Josephe-Anne -- Winners and Losers in words an...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review by Josephe-Anne -- Winners and Losers in words an...

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winners and Losers in words and cartoons" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“We are great because we must be number one. We are miserable because we must be number one.” This quote from Winners and Losers in words and cartoons by Arthur Hartz puts such conflicting statements into perspective. The excerpt also encapsulates the main message within the book. Along with the author, credit must also be given to Aleksandar Jovic, Mike Wolfe, and Heroud Ramos, the 3 cartoonists who contributed their artwork to this publication. The book is a collection of comics and quotes that focus on the topics of success and failure (or winning and losing) as society defines these terms. From blunt depictions of the way many people seem to idolize and even worship “winners” to tragic but true portrayals of “losers,” this is much more than a comic book. These cartoons delve into the realm of social commentary. Sometimes you have to read the captions twice to get the message, but once you figure it out, you start pondering the bigger questions in life. For such a short book, it certainly packs a punch!

The front cover design is simple; the title and the author’s name are printed in red-colored fonts on a white background. Below the title, there is an illustration which replicates one of the cartoons within the book. Open the cover, and the contents of the book are much more interesting. The trio of cartoonists each have their own unique styles to effectively convey the intended message. The single-panel, black-and-white drawings reminded me of political cartoons you often see in newspapers and magazines. In terms of formatting, the book is separated into 9 chapters based on themes relating to success and failure.

The introduction states that it is meant to be a thought-provoking book, and it certainly delivers as promised. The book unabashedly presents harsh ideas that others may be hesitant to discuss. Reading between the lines of these snarky quips and quotes, there is a much more profound message. The book encompasses and illustrates many social and psychological issues, such as elitism and depression. In fact, amid the collection of cartoons, there are several which depict psychologists advising their clients.

I enjoyed this book for its bold interpretation of how we perceive others – and ourselves – based on accomplishments and looks. Using sarcasm and exaggeration, Mr. Hartz effectively makes his point. I also enjoyed the funny artwork and the aphorisms used to complement the illustrations. The views expressed are honest and relatable. As I read, I was instantly reminded of some people I know. As I mentioned, rather than placing the cartoons in any random order, the author’s thoughts are organized into separate chapters. In this way, the book flows seamlessly.

It is hard to find fault with this book because it is entertaining and contains no grammatical errors. However, I do have a minor comment to make. The introduction states that winning is an “American religion.” While Americans do seem to have a zeal for winning and collecting trophies, winning/success is a global fascination. The book contains only borderline profanity and 1 nude image. There are also somewhat controversial images involving Christianity and Buddhism. Apart from that, it is a brief and humorous publication. I recommend it to realists who are looking for a good laugh and food for thought. So, I have chosen to give Winners and Losers in words and cartoons a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Winners and Losers in words and cartoons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I know American society enough to get all the references and jokes, otherwise this seems an interesting way to use cartoons. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 06:51 I'm not sure I know American society enough to get all the references and jokes, otherwise this seems an interesting way to use cartoons. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for your comment. :)

Most of the jokes have a universal theme. So, they are relevant to people from different backgrounds.
― Horace Mann
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I really enjoyed this book when I read it too. It was nice to read your review. Great job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Elvis Best wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 15:20 I really enjoyed this book when I read it too. It was nice to read your review. Great job!
Thank you so much for your kind words! :D :D

I love the beautiful quote you used from Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.
― Horace Mann
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

When I read this book I loved it. I agree with you about the organization, it helped the pacing. It's really a provocative book. It brings an intriguing premise. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

The quote at the beginning of your review got me! It is so true. Congratulations on your insightful review and thanks for your recommendation.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 05:03 When I read this book I loved it. I agree with you about the organization, it helped the pacing. It's really a provocative book. It brings an intriguing premise. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.
Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.
:D
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 05:07 The quote at the beginning of your review got me! It is so true. Congratulations on your insightful review and thanks for your recommendation.
I appreciate your encouraging comment. I had to include that quote because it really stood out to me.
:)
― Horace Mann
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I'm intrigued by the idea of using the form of a cartoon to discuss important philosophical questions and it reminded me of political caricatures in newspapers, just like you've mentioned. I'm glad you pointed out the different art styles the readers get to enjoy throughout the book and this seems like a really fun read when you're in the mood for some humor and sarcastic remarks.

Thank you for a nice review! :)
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

azidy wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 13:29 I'm intrigued by the idea of using the form of a cartoon to discuss important philosophical questions and it reminded me of political caricatures in newspapers, just like you've mentioned. I'm glad you pointed out the different art styles the readers get to enjoy throughout the book and this seems like a really fun read when you're in the mood for some humor and sarcastic remarks.

Thank you for a nice review! :)
Yes, indeed. This book is good for a few laughs.

Thank you for your insightful response. :)
― Horace Mann
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Winning and losing in cartoon comics and quotes?! What a fun and quirky representation of a psychological duality that we’ve all experienced time and time again. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the entertaining and informative review!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 18:37 Winning and losing in cartoon comics and quotes?! What a fun and quirky representation of a psychological duality that we’ve all experienced time and time again. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the entertaining and informative review!
Yes, you should check it out when you have the chance. It is a brief but humorous book with fun illustrations.

Thank you for your comment.
:)
― Horace Mann
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I could certainly use a thought provoking cartoon right now. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Slater678 wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 05:04 I could certainly use a thought provoking cartoon right now. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Yes, this book did not disappoint. The cartoon captions really make you think.

Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment.
8)
― Horace Mann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”