Review by tanner87cbs -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by tanner87cbs -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by tanner87cbs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz is an amusing collection of cartoon clips on the joys of aging. It is incredible how much can be said with a few words and a sketched scene. For example, one of the first clips is of an elderly lady that has dropped her purse. The text simply says, "What gets on the floor, stays on the floor." I am in my early thirties. However, I am already noticing the difference in bending over to pick stuff up, so I can only imagine!

Although this is a graphic novel or comic strip, if you may, it is divided into seven chapters. The book follows a logical flow through the journey of aging. As stated, I am still rather young, so some of the humor escaped me. However, I am sure an older audience would be rolling (probably not physically) with laughter.

The book does have some adult content: a few curse words, one nude drawing of a woman, and a few sexual innuendos. The first use of profanity is at the introduction of the book. The same clip is shared later in the book as well. That being said, I would recommend this book to an older and more mature audience. Which I believe is the target demographic of the book.

What I liked about the book were the drawings. One of my favorite clips is of an older man in his bathroom in front of an open medicine cabinet. The man is holding a cane and is jumping with glee. The caption reads, "Oh, I get by with a little help from my meds." This page made me laugh out loud literally. Also, I do not think that statement is limited to older people.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the clip of the topless women. Most of the book was tasteful, and I thought this was a bit much. Also, I could have done without the profanity. That is just my opinion, and there was not too much of it, so it should not be taken as a significant deterrent for potential readers.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the book and rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would have rated the book higher if it were not for the graphic scene mentioned above of the topless women. The book went through professional editing as I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors. Again, I would recommend this to an older and mature audience that wants a good laugh about the inevitable aging process we must contend.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I rated it 4/4, it was a lovely book to read. Thanks for your opinions here.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”