Official Review: Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading" by Kevin Sutton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never Wear a Hat to a Beheading by Kevin Sutton is a short collection of the author’s “advice” compiled into one book. While the subjects of the cartoons vary from vegans to beheadings, the style of humor remains consistent: dry, witty, and a tad bit profane. This book is neither for children nor for the easily offended.

After reading the first couple pieces of advice, I found myself thinking that reading 98 more was going to be a long, slow ride. However, number 5 made me crack a smile, and I was quickly chuckling aloud as I progressed through the book. Open the book to any page, and you’ll find a short piece of advice on the left page with a related cartoon on the right page. Sutton certainly won’t be winning any art awards for his stick figure drawings, but many of the cartoons added to the humor of the advice or, in some cases, completed the punchline.

Although some of the suggestions had me laughing out loud, I also found myself wanting to skim my way through many of them. In a book containing one hundred separate jokes, I wouldn’t expect all of them to be laugh-out-loud funny, but I did hope for more than ten. There are some hidden gems in here, but many of the pieces of advice could have been left out without detracting from my experience in any way. It felt like some of them were included just for the author to reach an even hundred and not because they are truly funny on their own.

Based on the criteria above, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any issues that would lead me to believe the book wasn’t professionally edited, and I liked how the cartoons complemented the jokes. However, as mentioned before, some pages had me smiling or even laughing while others left me confused or annoyed at yet another joke about diarrhea. I would agree with the review printed on the back cover, which compares the cartoons to a popular adult card game.

I would recommend this book to adults who enjoy irreverent, witty humor. It’s certainly not appropriate for children, and it would be best suited to readers who enjoy one-line humor and have thick skin, as the author finds ways to insult most of society, including individuals on both sides of the political aisle. For those who enjoy this kind of sharp humor, it could be a fun book to keep around and read, one piece of advice at a time.

Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading
View: on Bookshelves
AstridAlpha18
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astridalpha18.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AstridAlpha18 »

Reading an entire joke book - you are a saint for pulling that one. Too bad that most of them rely on gutter humor or just bad taste.
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I can't say I've read anything like this, but it does sound fun to just have this sitting on a shelf and opening it to a joke on a bad day. I do agree though that "poo" related jokes do get old very fast. It was probably strange reading the whole thing so quickly. I think this would be a book you slowly work though over the years, laughing one page at a time.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Poop jokes...that sounds more like my seven-year-old nephew than something I'd want to read in a book. When my nephew does it, at least I get to see his beautiful smile and infectious laughter. I think this is one book I'll be avoiding. I hope you receive your sainthood for reading it all the way through!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I might enjoy reading this book a few pages at a time. I’d definitely flip past the potty humor. Thanks for your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

LOL -- What a great title! I enjoyed your honest analysis of the book. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for an excellently written review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

It is not easy for one to listen to a comedian for long because the joke will become boring, so it is with books, it should be read slowly. I don't think I will want to get such book though.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Sounds like a humorous book. It's a shame that it was riddled with profanity.
funninessishappiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funninessishappiness.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by funninessishappiness »

This book sounds hilarious, but I'm not a huge fan of poop jokes. I don't find diarrhea to be a funny topic. However, political jokes are some of my favorites. I am glad to hear that the jokes are on both sides. I can't wait to read this for myself! Thanks for the review.
bookloverqq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by bookloverqq »

Jokes about everything include politics is interesting.nowdays better humor to read.guess better put in shelf,thanks for review
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 21:28 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading" by Kevin Sutton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never Wear a Hat to a Beheading by Kevin Sutton is a short collection of the author’s “advice” compiled into one book. While the subjects of the cartoons vary from vegans to beheadings, the style of humor remains consistent: dry, witty, and a tad bit profane. This book is neither for children nor for the easily offended.

After reading the first couple pieces of advice, I found myself thinking that reading 98 more was going to be a long, slow ride. However, number 5 made me crack a smile, and I was quickly chuckling aloud as I progressed through the book. Open the book to any page, and you’ll find a short piece of advice on the left page with a related cartoon on the right page. Sutton certainly won’t be winning any art awards for his stick figure drawings, but many of the cartoons added to the humor of the advice or, in some cases, completed the punchline.

Although some of the suggestions had me laughing out loud, I also found myself wanting to skim my way through many of them. In a book containing one hundred separate jokes, I wouldn’t expect all of them to be laugh-out-loud funny, but I did hope for more than ten. There are some hidden gems in here, but many of the pieces of advice could have been left out without detracting from my experience in any way. It felt like some of them were included just for the author to reach an even hundred and not because they are truly funny on their own.

Based on the criteria above, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any issues that would lead me to believe the book wasn’t professionally edited, and I liked how the cartoons complemented the jokes. However, as mentioned before, some pages had me smiling or even laughing while others left me confused or annoyed at yet another joke about diarrhea. I would agree with the review printed on the back cover, which compares the cartoons to a popular adult card game.

I would recommend this book to adults who enjoy irreverent, witty humor. It’s certainly not appropriate for children, and it would be best suited to readers who enjoy one-line humor and have thick skin, as the author finds ways to insult most of society, including individuals on both sides of the political aisle. For those who enjoy this kind of sharp humor, it could be a fun book to keep around and read, one piece of advice at a time.

Never Wear A Hat To A Beheading
View: on Bookshelves
I believe that the comic book would have been more interesting if it was written and recommended for all ages. Maybe adults need to have some adult comic-relief too. Your review was to the point. Thanks.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Man, I have to applaud your bravery for reading an ENTIRE book based on potty humor. I would have lost patience within the first 3 sections most likely. Great review. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

I like the way the book is structured: the advice on one side and an illustration on the other. However, if some of the meant-to-be jokes are dull, then it does not sound very attractive.
I think I'll pass this one.
Thank you for the honest review.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

I always wanted to grab at least a book in Graphic/Comic series to review. I wished I could read it being in a kid minded mood. Never mind, I am on the hunt in Selecting one such book soon.

Meanwhile, the Never Wear a Hat to a Beheading seems a piece of entertaining material presented in much matured intent. The advice based story-flow has a moral tips, I guess readers get educated on life lessons. Your review made me see another aspect that such books could carry. I must say admire the great work by the Author, Kevin Sutton.

Thanks Juliana, for shaping such great review.
~ Ankush

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”