Official Review: Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, E...

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Official Review: Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, E...

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, Equity and Social Justice for All" by Dr. Joseph Nwoye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people will agree with me that the world has made considerable steps in alleviating various forms of discrimination. For instance, gender discrimination, particularly discrimination against women, is no longer as rampant as it was in the earlier days, and evidence of such improvements can ubiquitously be seen across the world. Other forms of discrimination such as those based on one's race, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status, among others, have also been remarkably reduced, thanks to adequate awareness and good policies that governments and various organizations have put in place. However, there are some overt and covert forms of discrimination that are still present and can be observed among us in contemporary times. This indicates that more still needs to be done to make our world a discrimination-free zone, and it is with that conviction that Dr. Joseph Nwoye was inspired to write this book.

Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, Equity and Social Justice for All by Dr. Joseph Nwoye bridges the gap between where we are right now, as far as the war on discrimination is concerned, to the ideal state we yearn for as human beings: a state of peace, equity, and social justice for all. It designs, instills, and reinforces a new way of thinking that will enable us to tolerably and peacefully live with one another despite our differences. The author begins by looking at the belief formation process since belief is the "mother" of all behaviors. He then proceeds and takes readers through the behavior transformation process. All this in an attempt to enable us to eradicate subjective and divisive mental constructs such as “we versus them” mentality, among others, that usually causes people to discriminate against others. I liked the author's ideas and the passion he gave to that course.

I also liked how well the author wrote and executed this work. Dr. Nwoye solidified his arguments with relevant and interesting examples, both contemporary and those that occurred in the past. It is easy to see the trends discrimination has taken and the steps world leaders have put in place over the years to mitigate its various forms. The author's experience as a university professor, relevant quotes, and interesting analogies also added more life to this wonderful work. All those made this book outstanding, and readers who will pick it will agree with me that this book is like no other on the subject of eradicating discrimination.

My favorite aspect of this book was how the author exquisitely used repetition to illustrate his concepts. Due to repetition, I got a lot from this book as I was able to understand the author's points. I, therefore, believe other readers will also find the execution aspect of this book worth appreciating. That, together with the action steps (reflections) at the end of every chapter, made the ideas in this book memorable, enjoyable, and easily implementable.

All in all, I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book. I believe it was professionally edited since I found only a few minor errors. The errors were not detracting and couldn't influence my final rating. I'm, therefore, glad to award Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, Equity and Social Justice for All by Dr. Joseph Nwoye 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves such a perfect rating due to the various pertinent issues it addresses, and it will be a resourceful read to whoever believes that all people should be treated equally regardless of their differences. As for the recommendation, policymakers in various institutions, parents, and fans of history will benefit a lot from this well-researched book. This book also presents some brilliant ideas that I feel educators in any part of the world should not miss out on. However, although the author tried to be as objective as possible, the only reminder I'm giving readers is that they still require some level of open-mindedness to benefit from this book. As we all know, sensitive subjects like discrimination are usually difficult to address without its instigators feeling like they're being targeted or, more accurately, confronted.

Cultivating a Belief System for Peace, Equity and Social Justice for All
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a well done book. Prejudice is still too abundant, and something needs to be done about it. I hope the author has some good ideas. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 21:03 This sounds like a well done book. Prejudice is still too abundant, and something needs to be done about it. I hope the author has some good ideas. Thanks.
I'm also glad you read and commented on my review. Thank you so much!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It will be good to read about the improvements made in improving the social lives of people through reduction of discrimination in all its forms. Thanks for the insightful review.
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Wyland wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 01:50 It will be good to read about the improvements made in improving the social lives of people through reduction of discrimination in all its forms. Thanks for the insightful review.
It is such a resourceful read. Thank you so much for the comment!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Great to know that the author was thoughtful enough to make a case for cultivating a belief system for peace, equity and social justice for all. I think government policies and reforms should raise the bar and aim for, not just an alleviation, but absolute eradication of all forms of discrimination. It may take more time though, but I believe it's achievable. Thanks for the great review.
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Nkoo wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 09:08 Great to know that the author was thoughtful enough to make a case for cultivating a belief system for peace, equity and social justice for all. I think government policies and reforms should raise the bar and aim for, not just an alleviation, but absolute eradication of all forms of discrimination. It may take more time though, but I believe it's achievable. Thanks for the great review.
I agree with you, Nkoo, and thank you so much for that insightful comment!

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”