Official Review: Esemtu Vol. 1 by Karin Springer

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Esemtu Vol. 1 by Karin Springer

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Esemtu Vol. 1" by Karin Springer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Esemtu is a graphic novel written by Karin Springer and illustrated by her daughter, Raphaela Springer. The first volume follows the trio of university students Ethan, Dave, and Isabella as they try uncovering the mystery behind a refugee’s death in Vienna. The central pieces in their investigation are the Esemtu: the oldest representations of Sumerian gods. Why would someone resort to murdering to get one of these statues? Will our heroes manage to stop the culprit before it’s too late? These are the questions you'll ask yourself as you read this book.

Fans of mystery plots with supernatural elements will find plenty to enjoy. The first portion of the story plays out like classic detective fiction, while the final pages unveil hidden occult phenomena. But whether he’s dealing with people or gods, Ethan remains calm and analytical, using his intellectual skills to crack the case. Readers who enjoy smart detectives should appreciate Ethan’s grounded but insightful deductions, as well as his quirky enthusiasm and curiosity.

Speaking of characters, Dave and Isabella are a bit outshined by Ethan, but they still provide valuable contributions. Dave is a very empathetic person who tries carrying everything on his shoulders and blames himself for the refugee’s death. Isabella is sadly not very fleshed out in this first volume, but she’s still a likable protagonist with plenty of fun interactions with other characters. I particularly enjoyed her teasing by Ethan.

The book’s overall presentation is great, featuring beautiful illustrations with distinct character designs and simple but functional backgrounds. I only found two minor typographical errors that most readers won’t even notice: a missing comma and a misspelling of “separating” as “seperating.” My one complaint is that the final action scene doesn’t feel as dynamic as it should be, likely because the sound effects blend into the background rather than calling the reader’s attention and heightening the scene’s tension.

Unfortunately, the story falls flat towards the end, especially during two important moments. The first one is when a huge secret is revealed to one of the characters and their reaction is subdued and unrealistic. The second one is the confrontation with the culprit, who becomes a cartoonish villain and spills all of his secrets for no good reason. The main characters’ actions after the encounter also feel quite foolish given how smart they’d been up to that point. These narrative decisions make sense if one wants to move the plot forward quickly, but they end up weakening the characters in the process.

I rate Esemtu 3 out of 4 stars, deducting one point for the lackluster ending. It’s a lovely graphic novel for young readers, featuring charming characters, an intriguing murder mystery, and a myriad of paranormal secrets. Indeed, there’s only one instance of vulgar language in the book, making it suitable for teenagers. That said, I wouldn’t recommend this graphic novel if you’re looking for something more mature and realistic.

Esemtu Vol. 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It is really sad that a book with such perfect characters and nail-biting plot end in a dull way. I'm not sure if I'll read it but hope that others will enjoy it. But I enjoyed your review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I do love mystery with or without supernatural factor but I don't appreciate unrealistic stories. I was really excited to read it when I started to read your review but when I reached the end, i began to rethink and now am not reading it, thanks to u😀
Thanks a lot for the review Tomah.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I enjoy looking at illustrations in my books and the fact that there is some mystery involved would make for an interesting reading. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love mysteries as well. It is too bad about the ending up being up to the rest of the book. Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

It is unfortunate that the amazing story has a flat ending. That puts me off but people who do not mind having such ending can consider reading the book. Thank you for the insightful review.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Aniza Butt wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 02:23 I do love mystery with or without supernatural factor but I don't appreciate unrealistic stories. I was really excited to read it when I started to read your review but when I reached the end, i began to rethink and now am not reading it, thanks to u😀
Thanks a lot for the review Tomah.
Wyland wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 07:56 I enjoy looking at illustrations in my books and the fact that there is some mystery involved would make for an interesting reading. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Prisallen wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 08:04 I love mysteries as well. It is too bad about the ending up being up to the rest of the book. Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
OuKoyoo wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:22 It is unfortunate that the amazing story has a flat ending. That puts me off but people who do not mind having such ending can consider reading the book. Thank you for the insightful review.
Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 23:30 It is really sad that a book with such perfect characters and nail-biting plot end in a dull way. I'm not sure if I'll read it but hope that others will enjoy it. But I enjoyed your review!
Thanks for the comments! Yes, the ending is a bit disappointing, but it's still a pretty decent graphic novel overall.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I really like the cover for this one, makes me want to read it right away! I wasn't expecting this to be aimed towards young people though, I prefer more mature reads so that's a bit disappointing. Thank you for the helpful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Graphic novels aren't something I read. This one sounds intriguing despite the somewhat lackluster ending. See least the illustrations are good. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Pity about the ending. There could've been a way to advance the plot without compromising character development. Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your description of this novel makes it sound interesting, and I liked that your recommendations. According to your comments, the weaknesses in this first volume could be fleshed out in subsequent volumes. Great review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 18:58 Graphic novels aren't something I read. This one sounds intriguing despite the somewhat lackluster ending. See least the illustrations are good. Thanks.
inaramid wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 19:28 Pity about the ending. There could've been a way to advance the plot without compromising character development. Great review!
kdstrack wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 21:31 Your description of this novel makes it sound interesting, and I liked that your recommendations. According to your comments, the weaknesses in this first volume could be fleshed out in subsequent volumes. Great review!
rumik wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 14:27 I really like the cover for this one, makes me want to read it right away! I wasn't expecting this to be aimed towards young people though, I prefer more mature reads so that's a bit disappointing. Thank you for the helpful review!
Thanks for the comments! Indeed, the next volumes could fix the issues I've had with the first one. It's not a mature read, but it's pretty decent for what it is, and the illustrations are in fact quite good.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I honestly thought that this book was for adults, not for teenagers. Adult graphic novels are more of my thing, as I am an adult anyway. It is sad that the ending seems to be lackluster; your review was very helpful in pointing this out. Thank you for the informative review.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

byebye98 wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 01:00 I honestly thought that this book was for adults, not for teenagers. Adult graphic novels are more of my thing, as I am an adult anyway. It is sad that the ending seems to be lackluster; your review was very helpful in pointing this out. Thank you for the informative review.
Thanks for the comment! Yes, it's more of a juvenile graphic novel, though I believe adults could enjoy it as well.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Honestly, I am not sure if I can read this book because of the lack-luster ending; this is a turn off for me. I do appreciate the honest review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”