Veterans

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
CataclysmicKnight
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 551
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: The 600 Million Dollar Latte by Neil Flett

Re: Veterans

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 08 May 2016, 09:41

I recently read a book about Vietnam and I REALLY wish I remembered the quote better, but it was something along the lines of "hate the war, not the soldiers" or "respect the soldier, not the war". It's a reminder that our veterans and our currently-active soldiers are doing our country a great service even if what they're asked to do isn't something we support.

My uncle was in Vietnam, he was a gunner in a helicopter. He died when I was only about 5 and I barely knew him - he lived in Florida with his wife and 2 daughters, we lived in Chicago, and we'd only been down there once that I know of. He died of cancer likely tied to Agent Orange, and that's all I really know about his service, but i can't appreciate any more than I do that because people like him volunteer today, people like me aren't drafted.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 » 26 May 2016, 17:55

I just wanted to say a thank you to both my husband and father. They are both Combat veterans and I am proud to call myself a veterans wife and a veterans daughter. I am who I am today because of my father and my life wouldn't be complete without my husband.

Thank you to all veterans, those still living and those who did not survive. None of you are forgotten.

afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Post by afrakes » 03 Jun 2016, 11:20

Thank you, hsimone, for your thoughtful post! My dad is retired Army pilot and my brother just graduated Ranger school. It was timely to stumble upon your post after Memorial Day and nearing the Fourth of July. I'm always thankful for the sacrifices our service members have made and for those who continue to serve. Finding books on the subject of military affairs can be difficult sometimes for those who are dealing with the loss of battle buddies or family members KIA. Looking forward to reading more reviews on this month's book to see how it balances the truth with the hardship.

literarycat
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat » 06 Jun 2016, 10:09

My best friend and her husband are both veterans. They were in the air force for several years until the birth of their son.

My grandfather and some uncles serves as well, I actually had the honor of speaking to some of the men pap serves in WWII with which was amazing.

We have so much to thank them for, but do we do enough for the men and women who protect our freedom?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

thisisfinal213
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 » 08 Nov 2017, 11:24

a community for older people for awhile, so I got a chance to work with a lot of veterans. It was really admirable how much pride they all had in Great America.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”