Veterans

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Veterans

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I feel it is necessary to take a moment to think about either specific veterans you know of or in general the people that have risked their lives to try to make our world a better place.

Please feel free to share a veteran you know (no names needed: a family member, a friend, or even an acquaintance) or perhaps say a simple thank you recognizing the difficulty and frightening aspects of war in which these brave ones endured.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I worked at a community for older people for awhile, so I got to work for and with a lot of veterans. It was admirable how much pride they all had in America. We did a BBQ for memorial and so many showed up in pieces of their old uniform, and what amazed me is that they were thanking us for working on a holiday, when we should have been thanking them for what they did for the country.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

There are quite a few veterans at my church. They vary in age from 20-somethings to 80+. I always get choked up when I remember that one of the reasons I get to worship freely is because of the hard work and sacrifice of those veterans and others who came before them.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MatthewAlexander wrote:I worked at a community for older people for awhile, so I got to work for and with a lot of veterans. It was admirable how much pride they all had in America. We did a BBQ for memorial and so many showed up in pieces of their old uniform, and what amazed me is that they were thanking us for working on a holiday, when we should have been thanking them for what they did for the country.
That is so sweet to hear. :) It's amazing how humble many veterans are. They have went through so much, and all they have is love and kindness towards others.

-- 07 Apr 2016, 21:51 --
Shelle wrote:There are quite a few veterans at my church. They vary in age from 20-somethings to 80+. I always get choked up when I remember that one of the reasons I get to worship freely is because of the hard work and sacrifice of those veterans and others who came before them.
Aw...I get very sentimental too thinking that we are free to worship because for those who fought for our freedom. Very good point.

-- 07 Apr 2016, 21:53 --

I personally know a veteran. He is my neighbor (well we moved, but we still consider him our neighbor). Every word that comes out of his mouth is kind, thoughtful, or funny. He is always there for my little family (my husband and our little lab mix). He is very humble about the time he served and is just enjoying his peaceful his time during retirement with his kind wife.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

My husband is a marine corps veteran, I thank him all the time for what he did, even though he never got deployed, although he tried, his command told him no. I watch videos of veterans coming home to their loved ones all the time and it always makes me tear up with happiness that they got to return to their families.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I have several members of my family that are veterans, including my husband who is still currently serving. He was deployed most of last year and we're just thankful to all be under the same roof again (for the most part).
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ashley_claire wrote:I have several members of my family that are veterans, including my husband who is still currently serving. He was deployed most of last year and we're just thankful to all be under the same roof again (for the most part).
Thank you for sharing. Also, thank your husband for serving. It is very brave and noble. Is there something he can share about his experiences? Something that perhaps we, as people who are not veterans or who don't currently serve, may not understand or think about?

When I was working at a school for a few years, every winter break, we would have a drive for the troops. I always tried to make sure I brought in cans of hearty soups, peanut butter, all kinds of crackers/cookies, etc. It's definitely hard for me to image not being able to go and buy what I wanted or needed, because in war there is obviously something more important going on. Does he have these experiences?

(The questions are open for anyone else who would like to contribute)
Heidi

Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

Both my mom and my stepdad are/were veterans. My stepdad loved this country so much that he died on 9/11/2013, waited that extra day to make it special for him I suppose. He was an active part of their town's VFW, rode in parades that the town threw and did the best that he could while still disabled. My step-brother is a part of the air force at the moment so he will one day become a veteran. Thanks to them for doing what I cannot.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have quite a few in my family, including my grandfather (U.S. Army, Korean War), my dad (20 years U.S. Army, Desert Shield/Storm), my mom (Post-Vietnam, among the first group of women recruited into the regular Army instead of the Women's Army Corp), my uncle (Marine Corps, Desert Shield/Desert Storm), my husband (U.S. Army, Operation Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom, presently serving), and me (US Army, Post 9/11, three years active duty, two years reserve).

Thank you to all in this forum who have served or have a loved one who has served, and also to those who have supported our military through prayers, volunteerism, and acts of kindness. You have no idea how much your efforts are appreciated by the troops!!!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you to all in this forum who have served or have a loved one who has served, and also to those who have supported our military through prayers, volunteerism, and acts of kindness. You have no idea how much your efforts are appreciated by the troops!!!
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

When I think of veterans, I think of my family first. My grandfather was a WW1 vet, my dad and uncle were WW2 vets. Then I think of Vietnam, from my college days, and all the things that have happened since then. The fact that people in generation after generation have been willing to defend and support our country is very impressive. I also hope that we can learn how to work with other countries in a positive way so that wars don't happen. Of course that means ALL countries have to work well with each other! I hope that's possible.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

My father and grandfather both served. As well several of my uncles. And even a close friend. It's always a great honor to know these people.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MsMartha wrote:When I think of veterans, I think of my family first. My grandfather was a WW1 vet, my dad and uncle were WW2 vets. Then I think of Vietnam, from my college days, and all the things that have happened since then. The fact that people in generation after generation have been willing to defend and support our country is very impressive. I also hope that we can learn how to work with other countries in a positive way so that wars don't happen. Of course that means ALL countries have to work well with each other! I hope that's possible.
Thank you for sharing. I agree it would be nice if all countries can work together in a positive way to avoid wars. There's so much more to life than fighting, anger, and/or fear. This is a definite good point to bring up, thank you, MsMartha!

-- 18 Apr 2016, 10:21 --
Sophi57 wrote:My father and grandfather both served. As well several of my uncles. And even a close friend. It's always a great honor to know these people.
Definitely a great honor to know those who serve. Thank you for sharing. Please thank all of them for their time and service.
Heidi

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I agree we have much to thank our veterans for. They are who makes this country free.
Thanks to all our veterans.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html

Post by MsMartha »

hsimone wrote: Thank you for sharing. I agree it would be nice if all countries can work together in a positive way to avoid wars. There's so much more to life than fighting, anger, and/or fear. This is a definite good point to bring up, thank you, MsMartha!
And thank you for starting this conversation--this book has been an excellent experience!

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”