Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Shot Down" by Steve Snyder

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Veterans

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.

Re: Veterans

Post Number:#31 by CataclysmicKnight
» 08 May 2016, 09:41

I recently read a book about Vietnam and I REALLY wish I remembered the quote better, but it was something along the lines of "hate the war, not the soldiers" or "respect the soldier, not the war". It's a reminder that our veterans and our currently-active soldiers are doing our country a great service even if what they're asked to do isn't something we support.

My uncle was in Vietnam, he was a gunner in a helicopter. He died when I was only about 5 and I barely knew him - he lived in Florida with his wife and 2 daughters, we lived in Chicago, and we'd only been down there once that I know of. He died of cancer likely tied to Agent Orange, and that's all I really know about his service, but i can't appreciate any more than I do that because people like him volunteer today, people like me aren't drafted.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
CataclysmicKnight's Latest Review: "Peregrinations" by Tom Davis
CataclysmicKnight

Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 350 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 58%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#32 by LarkSpur25
» 26 May 2016, 17:55

I just wanted to say a thank you to both my husband and father. They are both Combat veterans and I am proud to call myself a veterans wife and a veterans daughter. I am who I am today because of my father and my life wouldn't be complete without my husband.

Thank you to all veterans, those still living and those who did not survive. None of you are forgotten.
LarkSpur25

Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#33 by afrakes
» 03 Jun 2016, 11:20

Thank you, hsimone, for your thoughtful post! My dad is retired Army pilot and my brother just graduated Ranger school. It was timely to stumble upon your post after Memorial Day and nearing the Fourth of July. I'm always thankful for the sacrifices our service members have made and for those who continue to serve. Finding books on the subject of military affairs can be difficult sometimes for those who are dealing with the loss of battle buddies or family members KIA. Looking forward to reading more reviews on this month's book to see how it balances the truth with the hardship.
afrakes

Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#34 by literarycat
» 06 Jun 2016, 10:09

My best friend and her husband are both veterans. They were in the air force for several years until the birth of their son.

My grandfather and some uncles serves as well, I actually had the honor of speaking to some of the men pap serves in WWII with which was amazing.

We have so much to thank them for, but do we do enough for the men and women who protect our freedom?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
literarycat's Latest Review: "RedDress Two Wives" by RA Winter
literarycat

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2316 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Previous