Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Denise Wallace
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Post by Denise Wallace » 03 Aug 2017, 12:03

Scott wrote:I'm excited to kick off our discussion of the April 2016 Book of the Month, Shot Down by Steve Snyder.

Make sure to submit your rating on the Shot Down Bookshelves Page. Then come back here to add your comments.

What is your overall opinion of Shot Down? Do you recommend others read it? Why or why not? What do you like most about it? What do you like least?
I would definitely recommend Shot Down to others. It's very inspiring. I love the courage and stamina that these men show. The pain and anguish they suffer is quite hard to read about, though, but in the end, it's worth it.

thisisfinal213
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 » 08 Nov 2017, 11:22

People who died and who were maltreated create a sympathy situation, the worst parts of the book. This is history and obviously should be shared

DWAITHAKA
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwaithaka.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by DWAITHAKA » 28 Nov 2017, 23:11

The title of the book first got my attention. the books seem to be good and looking forward to reading it.

vinodsai
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 207

Post by vinodsai » 12 Feb 2018, 23:22

I love to read this book because it's a true story about pilot Howard Snyder and the crew of the B-17 Susan Ruth and it's regarding war, specifically WWII. I love to learn more about these brave people who fought in wars and get inspiration from them and use it in our day to day life struggles.

Farmgurl1
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 » 25 Mar 2018, 08:05

I am a huge history buff, so this was right up my alley. This is one of those books that is tough to read but everyone needs to read it. The pilots in WWII suffered terribly and fought bravely. These men had terrible flying conditions, a long time in active service and killed many. Without their dedication, the world may be very different today. This is a great read for anyone interested in history and it was well crafted. The author obviously did the research. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about this book.

atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by atonykamau » 27 Mar 2018, 07:40

I found the book to be interesting to read and the plot of the story was easy to understand. I also found that the story was quite touching to the point that it almost moved me to tears.

Mana_Hale
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana-hale.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Mana_Hale » 28 Mar 2018, 11:21

My father has always loved war movies, airplanes, etc - based on all the reviews shared here this looks like it'd be a great book to get him as a gift :)

nancyab
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab » 02 Jun 2018, 15:06

I was able to get the book at my local library, although they had to bring it in from the library of another town. I was surprised that my library didn't have a copy. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and am very pleased that I was able to read it. My husband fought in WWII, not in Europe nor in the Air Force, but as a Sailor stationed to a Marine base on the Island of Okinawa. Because of this, I do read whatever I can on WWII. The book was well written and certainly holds one's attention all the way through. I was saddened, however, to see the two photos of the flight crew who were killed when the Susan Ruth was shot down. For any of their living relatives, this could have been an unpleasant shock and, to me, in poor taste. This is the only negative thing I can say about the book.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”