Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ShotDown wrote:I want to thank everyone for the wonderful compliments about my book, SHOT DOWN. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate them.

I particularly relish the positive comments made by people who are not into non-fiction and/or war books. When I wrote my SHOT DOWN, I definitely wanted it to appeal to history and World War buffs (hence a lot of technical information in the first half of the book), but I did not want it to be just a war book for guys. I wanted it to appeal to the general public; to people who had little knowledge and/or little interest in the war. I wanted it to be a story about people and the human spirit that would appeal to women as well.

So it really is two types of books in one. Although the story of the B-17 Susan Ruth crew is completely factual and based on first-hand testimony by the people who were involved in the events that took place, it almost reads like a novel. What I added to the story was a lot of history information and anecdotes about and surrounding the war to put it in context and add background. That part read like a history book.

Therefore, the opinions about SHOT DOWN are very insightful and right on the mark. They are what I was trying to achieve, and it is so very gratifying to read that you feel I was successful.

THANK YOU!

Steve Snyder
Thank you for your feedback! I am pretty particular on non-fiction text. Usually, WWII peaks my interest, but it's all about the presentation. If it's more like a textbook, my interest dwindles. However, I absolutely loved your presentation, so thank you for writing an informational text that can appeal to several people. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ShotDown wrote:I want to thank everyone for the wonderful compliments about my book, SHOT DOWN. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate them.

I particularly relish the positive comments made by people who are not into non-fiction and/or war books. When I wrote my SHOT DOWN, I definitely wanted it to appeal to history and World War buffs (hence a lot of technical information in the first half of the book), but I did not want it to be just a war book for guys. I wanted it to appeal to the general public; to people who had little knowledge and/or little interest in the war. I wanted it to be a story about people and the human spirit that would appeal to women as well.

So it really is two types of books in one. Although the story of the B-17 Susan Ruth crew is completely factual and based on first-hand testimony by the people who were involved in the events that took place, it almost reads like a novel. What I added to the story was a lot of history information and anecdotes about and surrounding the war to put it in context and add background. That part read like a history book.

Therefore, the opinions about SHOT DOWN are very insightful and right on the mark. They are what I was trying to achieve, and it is so very gratifying to read that you feel I was successful.

THANK YOU!

Steve Snyder
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that it was like reading two books in one. I am so impressed with the amount of research you gathered to write this story. Your father would be proud. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CPeterson09
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpeterson09.html

Post by CPeterson09 »

I'm not sure this book is for me. I'm not too interested in non-fiction or WWII history
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

CPeterson09 wrote:I'm not sure this book is for me. I'm not too interested in non-fiction or WWII history
Never know until you try it!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kia wrote:
CPeterson09 wrote:I'm not sure this book is for me. I'm not too interested in non-fiction or WWII history
Never know until you try it!
I agree with Kia - you never know until you try! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I've been looking for some books to read with themes of 'war'. Hope to pick this one up soon! :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Sometimes it's nice to read a book outside your comfort zone. I have read a few gems through monthly book discussions here and in my in-person book club. A few were books that I would have never considered reading otherwise.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
Sometimes it's nice to read a book outside your comfort zone. I have read a few gems through monthly book discussions here and in my in-person book club. A few were books that I would have never considered reading otherwise.
:text-goodpost: I agree wholeheartedly!
Heidi

Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

This book really wasn't what I usually read either. But luckily it is an interesting read and easy to understand so its a good one to introduce you to the genre!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very emotional and powerful and I found myself on a roller coaster of emotions. I generally do not read non-fiction but I do enjoy history and I thought this book sounded very interesting because in school we learn about the major historical events but they are so impersonal and broad. This story involved actual personal accounts and it was very enlightening.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

This book is great if you want to learn more about the bravery and sacrifices of these pilots during WWII. It is touching and memorable. Thank you Steve Snyder, for taking the time to put memories to paper!
shibrarafaqat
Currently Reading: Pakistan a hard country
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shibrarafaqat.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by shibrarafaqat »

Just added this book to my shelf..looking forward to read it...
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Purchased a hard copy of this and look forward to reading it. History, particularly the wars, have been of interest to me lately.
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

This book sounds like something both my father and my husband would love to read! I haven't read it as of yet but I hope to get it so all three of us can in the near future. :D
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have read the book review and it has touched me. I am definitely going to read this book. :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”