Are restaurants and junk food producers responsible?

Discuss the March 2016 Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin.

(Note, Carrie Rubin's previous book The Seneca Scourge was book of the month in December 2012. :) )
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: Are restaurants and junk food producers responsible?

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Restaurants are businesses. Fast food producers remain in operation beause there are consumers out there willing to purchase their unhealthy grubs. They really can't be faulted for responding to demand.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think they are responsible for choosing to put forward mostly things that are not healthy, but as long as they are not lying and saying what they are offering is healthy for us, it is everyone's own responsibility to control what they consume.
offirest1978
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by offirest1978 »

keeping in mind the end goal to lessen your danger of corpulence, it is basic to diminish intake your these unhealthy processed foods and replace them with fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains and nuts.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Fastfood restaurants and junk food providers are obviously not the only ones to blame, as each individual has to take responsability for his/her own life and actions, The real problem, in my opinion, is that junk food is often cheaper than healthy food and people who are on a tight budget are kind of forced to eat unhealthy.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think we are all to blame for the obesity epidemic, and that restaurants and junk food producers are only the most visible.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

Yes, restaurants and junk food are a little responsible. But ultimately, it is our duty to eat healthily. We can't blame it on others.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

No, I don't believe that restaurants or junk food producers are responsible. People make choices. They choose what to buy and what to eat. They choose the portion sizes. Parents need to be responsible about what they feed their children. We all need to be intentional about getting exercise as well.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think both sides hold responsibility. Yes I do believe that there are chemicals and additives that can be addictive in food. They are designed to make you want more and more. That part I do believe is wrong on their end and should provide healthier options. However, you can say no even when it’s difficult. I have gone up and down in weight many times over the years. I admit I have an issue with eating too much sometimes, which is something I am trying to get better control of. It’s just a matter of finding balance.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

No, we are responsible for what we put in our mouths!! What they should be responsible for is put the calorie content of every meal they serve. This has been enforced here in the UK, but research has found that people don’t even care about that!!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski

Post by Laney K »

I feel like there is no one place to lay the blame. The addictive nature of some food is a factor but so is personal choice.
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Shridhar S wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 16:54 Yes, restaurants and junk food are a little responsible. But ultimately, it is our duty to eat healthily. We can't blame it on others.
I totally agree. In the case of children there is also responsibility on the shoulders of the parents.
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 13:54 Fastfood restaurants and junk food providers are obviously not the only ones to blame, as each individual has to take responsability for his/her own life and actions, The real problem, in my opinion, is that junk food is often cheaper than healthy food and people who are on a tight budget are kind of forced to eat unhealthy.
It is certainly an issue how expensive healthy food can be. It also also more accessable so that creates it's own set of problems.

Return to “"Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin”