Choices (The Butterfly Effect)

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Heathernross26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =9179">Red Queen</a>
Currently Reading: James and the Giant Peach
Bookshelf Size: 213

Icon Choices (The Butterfly Effect)

Post by Heathernross26 »

Many times while I was reading this book, which is beautifully written, I often thought that choices we make have an effect on not just ourselves, but anyone. Juliet was a victim of everyone elses cruelty. How many Juliets do you know? If you had to relive the same day and the outcome was always the same until you realized that it wasn't you that needed saving but someone else, would you sacrifice your life? It is unfortunate that she couldn't see the errors in her ways until it meant death for her.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I haven't read this book yet, but I have just read and watched The Butterfly Effect, so this post caught my attention. I love this idea of trying to change the past to fix something as often as you can, without actually knowing the results of your actions each time.

However if you realize that it's not you that needs to change, but the other person, I guess the point would be moot? I mean if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, you will get the same result over and over again...

Off to check out Before I Fall, it seems like a book I'd like to read real soon.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

That's a hard question. I would like to think that I would do the right thing if it came down to it. I enjoy life and want to live it, but I could sacrifice my life for someone if I felt like they would accomplish good in their life.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This is a message I've seen in different places. The smallest things we say or do can have great impacts in our lives and in others. I personally feel that there could not have been a different outcome for Sam. I think the cycles she lived through was there just so she could make a difference and realise her mistakes.

" If you had to relive the same day and the outcome was always the same until you realized that it wasn't you that needed saving but someone else, would you sacrifice your life? "
Yes. If it changed nothing about my outcome I would rather go out making a positive difference in someone's life than have a pointless end.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Krishi Shah »

We often don't think about the consequences of our words and actions, but such pieces of art remind us to be mindful and kind.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”