More Lauren Oliver

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Alpha_Betty
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpha-betty.html

More Lauren Oliver

Post by Alpha_Betty »

Before I Fall is one of only a few I haven't read by Lauren Oliver, though my students recommend it highly. I didn't expect to, but I really enjoyed the Delirium series. I usually don't go for the strong-female-protagonist-in-an-oppressive-world books, but this series was so well-written and the characters had a real human quality missing from so many dystopian series. I also really liked Panic, about a group of high school seniors who compete in a game of dares for the cash prize that might deliver them from their go-nowhere town. So much YA fiction focuses on middle-class or well-off teens and their angst--it was refreshing to read to find a story where the teens had ambitions, but little means to accomplish them, and what that might prompt them to do. I'm looking forward to going back and reading Before I Fall, as well as her new one, Replica.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I thought the Delirium series was alright, but I definitely preferred Before I Fall. Before I Fall was the reason I picked up Delirium in the first place, so I'm glad I happened across it first!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I was in a bookstore and Before I Fall and If I stay by Gayle Forman were next to each other. I ended up only purchasing If I Stay, but remembered the authors name and bought Delirium. It was the book that caused me to read her work and now she is my favorite author. Its a really great book. On of her best. :D
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

I have the Delirium series on my TBR and for some reason I'm just not getting around to it. Same with Vanishing Girls and Replica. In fact, I own all of these! If they're any bit as good as Before I Fall I'm sure I'll like them, I just haven't made them a priority yet.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I have read the Delirium series. It was a fascinating concept, however, I found the romances to be cheesy and the characters lacking.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I have only read before I Fall, but I am interested in looking into her other books now.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Marcia92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marcia92 »

Lovely read, I had a great time reading it. Picked up a few words too.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I've heard Lauren Oliver's name being dropped quite often, and I downloaded the sample Panic because it was one of her books where I instantly loved the premise, but I still haven't bought it. I'm afraid of the few people who say it's not that great, and I don't want to be disappointed. I'm starting to think it's time to take the leap.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: 80Bites The Dancers Diet by PhysicalMind Institute

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I think my favorite will always be Before I fall, but I really enjoyed Delirium as well, until the ending that is. I am planning to buy Panic and Rooms, but I am still looking up new ones so I could buy them all at once. I absolutely love her writing style and the messages her books send!
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I LOVED Delirium. It was one of the first book series I bought for my kindle when I was younger.

I actually had the opportunity to meet Oliver at BEA (I think in 2017) and get a copy of her new (then new, at least) book Replica, which was really awesome. I liked Replica a lot. I wonder what (if any) science background she has? Both of my favorite books of hers feature some kind of science (like the love as a disease concept and the prions of Replica).
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I really enjoyed Delirium back when I read the trilogy! The first book was my favorite, and I felt that the others in the series couldn't meet the standards set by it. That doesn't mean they weren't a great read though! Personally, I am a big fan of dystopian novels, and I felt that the concept presented by Lauren Oliver was unique, refreshing, and really well-developed.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Before I Fall and Delirium are on my To-Be-Read list since 2013.
I read Before I Fall in 2018, and I had to postpone reading Delirium for fear of confusing it with Matched, which I read this year.
Matched and Delirium heavily focus on love and/or attraction (or the lack of it).
Panic reminds me of Stephen King's The Long Walk, so I might give it a try.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

'Before I Fall' was my first ever Lauren Oliver book. I read Delirium after that, but I haven't gotten around to reading the other two books in the series. I never really thought about going after her other books because I wanted to finish The Delirium series first.

But going through all the replies here, I feel like I'm missing out. The way things are I'll probably end up reading all of Lauren Oliver's books. :D
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

DesireeRose wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:34 I have read the Delirium series. It was a fascinating concept, however, I found the romances to be cheesy and the characters lacking.
:eusa-think:

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”