Bullying

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Katherine Rose
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-rose.html

Re: Bullying

Post by Katherine Rose »

I graduated almost six years ago and I never experienced bullying. The only time I think there may have been something was when the older kids blocked the hallway and we couldn't get to class. I was lucky and one of my girlfriends was 6 feet tall and she forced them to let me through. I know of people who were really badly bullied, but I came from a graduating class of around 900. A lot of the time you stuck to your own group and didn't bother people. I am sure people gossiped about everyone, but there wasn't any fighting or slapping books out of peoples hands. The only book slapping that was done was to friends as a joke. I did hear that there was some stuff going on in the grades bellow me. Each school is different and each student experiences school differently.
Everyone please remember that high school is temporary and it you are having a really bad time please talk to teachers or seek help. :tiphat:
atlantadboggs
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atlantadboggs.html

Post by atlantadboggs »

I went to high school in a very small town where everyone knew each other and we were all friends. Bullying was never really a factor. Even if a problem arose, the principal put a stop to it before it ever began.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

atlantadboggs wrote:I went to high school in a very small town where everyone knew each other and we were all friends. Bullying was never really a factor. Even if a problem arose, the principal put a stop to it before it ever began.
You are lucky. I'm currently a teacher, and I am struggling so hard with teaching the students when to stick up for themselves, when to ignore teasing, and when to come tell me. Usually they just all end up on a fistfight though. Note: I teach first grade.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I had a bullying related experience in my classroom today. My 7th graders were expressing their upset that although they report bullying to teachers or other adults, they seldom see any responses. Knowing the faculty and staff as I do, I was surprised to hear that the students were encountering indifference, so I talked to the guidance counselor about this disturbing report. She told me that every report of bullying is addressed, but discipline doesn't always produce the desired result. Between the necessity for privacy in discipline, the difficulty of executing more severe punishments (like expulsion, which is nearly impossible in my state), and the persistence of cruel people, there's a limit to how much bullying can actually be stopped by authority figures in schools. The school will be considering how to make anti-bully measures more visible in order to reassure the students that they are NOT indifferent and take bullying very seriously. In order to really change, each and every person needs to make a decision to treat others will consideration, kindness, and respect every single day.
Greatreads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreads.html

Post by Greatreads »

Bullying occurs alot more than it used to. Children now feel the need to hurt others which gives them a false sense of superiority. Once you get into high school kids start to realize who are the kids to stay away from and who they should stick with. In high school children start to see what is really going on and how to forget or ignore rude comments.That's why there is not as much bullying in high school.
Ash22
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ash22 »

I don't remember there being that much bullying in my high school. I used to hang out with everyone none was really singled out,but I do think bullying was worse in middle school because everyone is in there awkward stage, so people thought hmm let's make fun of this guy because his voice is changing or that girl because she doesnt wear makeup,but in high school I didn't notice anyone ever being bullied like that .
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

I think bullying is something that is much more complex than beating someone up behind school or taking their milk from their lunch. Now bullies have moved to a more sophisticated tool than their fists that is harder to trace back to them: the internet. Right now at my own school a popular app After School allows anyone to say anything anonymously. Anything. Cyber bullying is a lot more prevalent than people think. A year ago, some girls at my school set up an instagram page that stole other people's pictures they posted and made fun of them. My sister made it to that page.
Bullying is prevalent, and with all the apps that are being made that hand more tools right to them, they will keep getting stronger.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

Personally, I felt the bullying was far worse in my middle school than it was in my high school. However, I do know that it rarely got physical. The other kids in my school were more inclined towards jabs through talking than jabs through their own hands.

While I know that verbal jabs still aren't good, I think my schools definitely weren't as bad as some. For instance, the most obvious kids to pick on weren't the ones picked on. It was more frequent for a "popular" kid who had a fall from grace to get picked on.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Bullying didn't really happen that much at my school. Only when we were little then we all just grew up. People would say things but they wouldn't go any further. The main issue was when friend ship groups argued. We never had anything like this book but I went to school in England so things are different I suppose
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

A pretty major part of my life is linked to bullying. I dropped out of high school thanks to being bullied - it got so bad that I was sick every day on high school... I subsequently got my GED and even an AAS in computer science in college (college was SO much better than high school and grade school!). A few years ago I made an anti-bullying video game and ran a Kickstarter to promote it, and even now whenever I see any form of bullying on social media I'm quick to point out that (a) it's not funny to make fun of [whatever] and say [whatever], that no matter how many other folks say something doesn't make it right, and (b) explain how saying those things makes someone feel.

For what it's worth, I'm 33 now, have much more confidence than back in high school, and would have been class of 2000 for HS as reference for when bullying was rampant for me :D
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

I think there are not much bullying in my school. Well, there are some kids who are having a trouble with some groups, so they are in danger, for some sort.
But those kind of kids are troubling kids, so that the main reason they are being bullied is their behavior around school.

I never really experience them, though.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Sarah Penney wrote:Personally, I felt the bullying was far worse in my middle school than it was in my high school. However, I do know that it rarely got physical. The other kids in my school were more inclined towards jabs through talking than jabs through their own hands.

While I know that verbal jabs still aren't good, I think my schools definitely weren't as bad as some. For instance, the most obvious kids to pick on weren't the ones picked on. It was more frequent for a "popular" kid who had a fall from grace to get picked on.
This was my experience as well. Bullying was much, much worse in middle school than in high school. Although I don't recall any physical bullying, there was definitely the "you can't sit at our table" kind of bullying going on.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

Sarah Penney wrote:Personally, I felt the bullying was far worse in my middle school than it was in my high school.
I think that's the case generally, at least from my own experience, my sister's, and these posts. I'm not sure who decided that cramming a bunch of pubescent kids into a small building for hours at a time was a good idea, but they deserve a swift kick in the rear.

Bullying can also result from ingroup-outgroup conflict. If you have a few minutes, look up the Robbers Cave experiment. It's kind of disturbing.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Igor Martinez
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-igor-martinez.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Igor Martinez »

Yeah, bullying is a awful reallity in mid-scholl, high-school and even in college, but what can really do the victims of this? Campaigns against bullying doesn't seem to be enough...
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

I have tons of experience in this. I don't know if this count as bullying, but I have been taunted and teased at my Freshmen and Sophomore year. It sucks, really. Is kinda bad as well, the thoughts and negative thinking I had in fear of going school on a daily basis. Learning turns out to be a horror, a nightmare. But things started to get way better when I'm in my Junior year. I made many friends, few of whom are still close friends, even now. No longer the scrawny kid I used to be in the first two year of high school. Had a growth spurt or such, made me more 'intimidating'. I can't enjoyably say that high school was my best memory. First two years was an absolute nightmare, but the last two years turns out to be the most exciting aspects of my life. I still badly missed high school. Hanged out regularly with friends at all during the beginning of Junior year. Irony isn't it? Turns out I was quite well known and respected throughout the last two years, a friendly person which everybody instantly took a liking to. A complete contrast from the sadist I used to be. But anyway, bullying sucks. I would go out of my way just to help others in need, and I do hope each individual here would help the bullied ones as well. Make the society a better place to live in.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”