Favorite moments

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Favorite moments

Post by gali »

What are some of your favorite moments of the book? my favorite moments involved Kent.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thimble »

I really liked it when Sam and her friends were just hanging out and relaxing by themselves. It's in these moments that you see them supporting each other and having fun with each other without having to worry about image. It's a great contrast to how they treat other people. Also, any moment with Kent is awesome.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Thimble wrote:I really liked it when Sam and her friends were just hanging out and relaxing by themselves. It's in these moments that you see them supporting each other and having fun with each other without having to worry about image. It's a great contrast to how they treat other people. Also, any moment with Kent is awesome.
That's a good point about how different they are with each other when the girls aren't worried about their image. Another favorite of mine is just the entire day that she spends with her family. Sam actually takes the time to think about the things she likes best about each of them and just appreciates them for who they are.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am about 2/3 of the way through this book so I may find more favorite moments. So far I love any scene that Kent is in. I just loved his character. I absolutely loved when the girls were driving to school and Sam told Lindsay off. I almost stood up and clapped that finally someone gave that girl a smackdown. :) It was realistic that Lindsay responded by telling Sam to get out of the car. Lindsay is the type that's fine as long as everyone goes along with her; she can't deal with anyone standing up to her since she just wants a bunch of followers surrounding her.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
tnewman13
Currently Reading: A light in the Wilderness: A novel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnewman13.html

Post by tnewman13 »

I completely agree that Sam telling Lindsay off on the way to school rocked. Sometimes you have to know there is nothing to lose before you can speak your mind.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

tnewman13 wrote:I completely agree that Sam telling Lindsay off on the way to school rocked. Sometimes you have to know there is nothing to lose before you can speak your mind.
It's true that Sam spoke up to Lindsay since she felt she had nothing to lose. Two of my least favorite parts also happened during that same do-over day: 1) when Sam came on to her teacher and 2) when she "stole" her mother's credit card and racked up a few very high charges.
gali
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
tnewman13 wrote:I completely agree that Sam telling Lindsay off on the way to school rocked. Sometimes you have to know there is nothing to lose before you can speak your mind.
It's true that Sam spoke up to Lindsay since she felt she had nothing to lose. Two of my least favorite parts also happened during that same do-over day: 1) when Sam came on to her teacher and 2) when she "stole" her mother's credit card and racked up a few very high charges.
Those were my least favorite parts as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Since I loved the author's writing so much, here are a few memorable quotes -

“I think of Lindsay in the bathroom of Rosalita’s, and wonder how many people are clutching secrets like little fists, like rocks sitting in the pits of their stomachs. All of them, maybe.”

“This is pretty much the answer to every problem you encounter in suburbia: plant a tree, and hope you don't see anyone's privates.”

“I wonder if it’s ever really possible to know the truth about someone else, or if the best we can do is just stumble into each other, heads down, hoping to avoid collision.”

“I've never really had a party before."
"Why did you have one now?" I say, just to keep him talking.
He gives a half laugh. "I thought if I had a party, you would come.”
** Of course, I liked any quote that involved Kent speaking. :)
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I enjoyed the scenes with Kent, because he really was a sweetheart. I would have to say that my favorite scenes were when Sam was recalling memories from her past and when others were telling her stories like Kent and Juliet. They added a nice break to the "last day" routine. Even though the last day wasn't the same every time.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

I'm near the end of the book but so far I really like the part where Sam takes Lizzy to Goose Point and another feather floats down that she promises to save. You can tell that she idolized her big sister and that day together meant the world to her.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

gali wrote:What are some of your favorite moments of the book? my favorite moments involved Kent.
I would have to agree. All mine involved Kent. Except for when Sam went to the party sober and started looking at her classmates from a different perspective, that was a favorite as well.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I agree. This was definitely my favorite!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Sam telling off Lindsay was also definitely my favorite part. I was cheering at that part
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I loved Day 5. I loved the trip to Goose point and the part where Kent makes hot chocolate for Sam.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Gabi669
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi669.html

Post by Gabi669 »

CrescentMoon wrote:Sam telling off Lindsay was also definitely my favorite part. I was cheering at that part
I completely agree! Sometimes you just have to speak your mind.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”