Overall Rating and Opinion of Before I Fall

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
mmd9987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Before I Fall

Post by mmd9987 »

I would totally recommend this book to others. Even though the book was nothing like what I expected.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

P_hernandez wrote:
anonanemone wrote:Honestly, I really didn't want to like this book. But the insight she gave to these characters was really well done. I thought this is one of the best redo's I've ever seen. Usually I will avoid them because of the repetitiveness, but each day took such a different approach that it didn't get boring. I also like how perspective changed with each redo on some of the little things like Sarah being able to compete in the swim competition.

As to recommending this book, I think it would depend on the person. I think the reader has to be willing to look beyond the surface and take the time to really consider. If I think the person I am talking to would put that kind of effort in, I would definitely recommend it. It's the easy way out to just say I have nothing in common with these girls and there is no tiny part of me that I can see in common to need to lead to introspection. The truth is everyone has said or done something they regret or feel bad about even if their ultimate actions are not equal to those of Lindsey, Sam and the others.

But with each redo, as soon as that day was done and Sam went to sleep, everything went back to being the way it was the day she died. With the exception of the night she slept at Ally's, which was the night she finally started to understand what it was she had to do.
That part made me sad for things that never really existed, like day she spent with her little sister. Those days only matter for Sam's personal development since they never happened as far as anyone else is concerned. I don't think there is really anything Sam could have done in the span of a single day to really help Julie or repair what had been done, only minimize the impact as best she can. Especially, since essentially everyone she knows will be impacted by her kind of violent death. I find myself wondering what different characters personal narrative will be on the actual event and whether Sam will be seen as a 'hero' or as a victim to a 'psycho'. I think it will partly depend on how much of the event each individual actually witnessed.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Hmm, maybe with similarities to the movie Groundhog Day? I realize that the subject is very different, but the repetition mentioned by several posters here might annoy me, as the aforementioned film did for that very reason.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really liked this book because it reminded me of "The Butterfly Effect" and how small decisions can have huge consequences. I think stories like that are so interesting so I would recommend this book to others. However, for me personally I was very heartbroken at the end so I feel like that would be a downer to anyone who really needs happy endings.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
pallavi garg
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavi-garg.html

Post by pallavi garg »

Wooh...reliving sam's life seven times....author certainly did justice potraying mean girls , bullying and shallowness during high school. ...jus couldn't keep the book down without knowing the ending....loved the growth sam through the book...great ...
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I read this book a while ago, so I don't remember a lot about it. I do remember that I liked it, though. It did kind of get annoying having to relive her last day over and over again. I would recommend it to a friend.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
malinda_alm
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by malinda_alm »

I unexpectedly enjoyed reading "Before I Fall." I found the writing style very interesting and creative. Lauren Oliver's portrayal of living the last day of your life over and over again really makes you think about the impact your every day actions make on other people. The book really emphasizes the common thought of living life day by day as if there is no tomorrow. I will admit the ending was not my favorite, but I did have a hard time putting the book down.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I felt that it was better than most YA contemporary novels, so I recommended it to one of my friends who was looking for a YA novel without paranormal creatures.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

The author chose a very interesting, unique way to show Sam's development. If the story was told in a linear style, it would be predictable and boring (even if describing such a tragic event as death). Sam lived a short life; therefore she couldn't sit back and write a memoir (in which she would probably lie a little). The only way she could grow up as a person was to live that final day gain and again. I wasn't bored with repetitions because every time the repetition was bringing something new. I will recommend the book to any reader, not only to young adults. I wonder what kind of the last day Anna Karenina would live, should she get the opportunity to live it again.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

ALynnPowers wrote:Please use this topic to discuss your overall opinion of the Febrary 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

If you have not already, please add your rating on the Bookshelves page: Before I Fall.

Then hit reply in this topic to post your comments. 8)

Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not? What do you like most about the book? What do you like least about the book?

I would most definitely recommend this book to anyone. The messages that Oliver conveys about bullying and appreciating life was brilliantly delivered and the book was an incredibly easy read. I loved the writing style, the messages conveyed, and the majority of the characters. However...that being said I didn't like the character of Sam. She was way too realistic, and although I enjoyed the realism that the book offered, I've known way too many people like Sam to actually feel comfortable - she was portrayed that well. Again, brilliantly delivered but just a little too realistic. That is just a nitpick though...wonderful read. I hope this book gets more attention.
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver best fits into the genre of teens fiction. I would place it with ages of 14+ due to language, sexual content and mature situations.

The book is based on four teenage girls who are considered the most attractive girls in the senior class at their high school. Pretty soon you realize they think the rules the don't apply to them. They are the Mean Girls of the school.

The book started off well and was easy to follow. The main character, Samantha Kingston is always with one or more of her friends in the clique. Samantha is the less viscous of the foursome. Lindsay is the ringleader, and whoever she decides to dislike, humiliate or cast aside, the other three are supposed to treat them the same.

I started to get very bored with the book after the beginning of the third day. It became hard for to focus on what was happening. The book finally picked back up when Samantha is hanging out with different people. Of course, these people didn't hang around the popular cliché. Sam started discovering how great here peers were that Lindsay exiled before Sam started hanging out with them. Now, each day was interesting to read because you got a different beginning and an entirely new end.

I couldn't imagine how the book was going to end. I was completely shocked. I thought it would be the where everyone had the good happy ending. I rate this book 3 out 4 stars because the of the middle of the book became predictable.
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
ovasyltsova
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ovasyltsova.html

Post by ovasyltsova »

Honestly, I read this book like two years ago, and I still can't forget about it. It remains one of my favorite books ever read, mostly because of the deep message that it conveyed. I'm the kind of person who looks for a double meaning in everything I read, and this book offered it to me on a silver platter. I interpreted to mean that if we can't find something to live for that's really important to us, at the end of our lives we'll just be stuck in a circle of regret, looking back to everything that we didn't do and all the people we overlooked and it will keep us from finding our peace. I think this book has a very strong message if you're willing to look for it; I read it three times over before I finally decided on a personal meaning for myself. I would really recommend you read this book if you're into deep stuff.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I read this book a while ago and I remember being disappointed with it. The premise starts out so interesting - seven chances to live the final day of your life the way you ought to - but it turns out to be riddled with cliches, with a main character as unoriginal as they come.

I can't recommend it.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just finished reading the book earlier today, and I absolutely would recommend it! I would recommend to those who like young adult novels and don't mind seeing a very immature girl learning a lesson.

When Samantha relived those days, I thought the author did a very creative job in making sure the days were different even if some of the motions were similar. I could feel her slowly changing, which I liked and appreciate. This book kept my attention the entire time, and I'm glad I read it!

I will say that I was sad how the book ended. I kept rooting for Sam to stay alive, but this did not deter from me giving the book a 4/4 stars :). Great choice for Book of the Month!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

This book was not the kind of book I usually read or enjoy, but it was very good. It was interesting to see Sam gain awareness of herself and her actions. A lot of people here have said she is just a bully, but I think that author did an excellent job portraying the way that teenagers see the world and are unable to have the self-awareness and social consciousness to realize the damage they are doing in the world. She is just having fun with her friends and enjoying her life in the popular crowd and has never taken the time to look at the choices she has made and the people who have been hurt so that she can stay on top.

It also reminded me a lot of the Supernatural episode Mystery Spot, where the character Sam has to watch his brother die over and over again, only to wake up in bed to have it be Tuesday all over again.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”