Overall Rating and Opinion of Before I Fall

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Before I Fall

Post by erasmus »

I read this book last year, and while I can't remember much of it, I do recall feeling pretty emotional after I've finished reading it. The book had a fair share of characters I didn't like, but the immature ones just made me look at myself more closely: did I use to be like them? It amused me on some level when that happens.

I also agree with @bookowlie that I enjoyed the book much more than I thought I would, especially since I felt like it wasn't my kind of book. I felt that it focused on the characters' social life a lot.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

erasmus wrote:I read this book last year, and while I can't remember much of it, I do recall feeling pretty emotional after I've finished reading it. The book had a fair share of characters I didn't like, but the immature ones just made me look at myself more closely: did I use to be like them? It amused me on some level when that happens.

I also agree with @bookowlie that I enjoyed the book much more than I thought I would, especially since I felt like it wasn't my kind of book. I felt that it focused on the characters' social life a lot.
Erasmus, I agree that the story focuses too much of the teenagers' social life which isn't my content preference either. Still, the excellent writing really made me like the book. I would definitely read another book by this author just for the writing itself.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
erasmus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

bookowlie wrote:
erasmus wrote:I read this book last year, and while I can't remember much of it, I do recall feeling pretty emotional after I've finished reading it. The book had a fair share of characters I didn't like, but the immature ones just made me look at myself more closely: did I use to be like them? It amused me on some level when that happens.

Erasmus, I agree that the story focuses too much of the teenagers' social life which isn't my content preference either. Still, the excellent writing really made me like the book. I would definitely read another book by this author just for the writing itself.
I thought so too! So I added another of her book "Rooms" to my TBR shelves in 2014 November. Although, it's still there even now.... :oops: I think I actually added "Rooms" before "Before I Fall" to my shelves, but ended up reading "Before I Fall" first.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I only read the first part of the book and then decided it really wasn't for me. It's well written but just isn't my cup of latte. I would hope my daughters have more sense than the characters in the book, high school is not an excuse to act like a moron.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree that being in high school is not an excuse to act like a jerk. In the case of the girls in this book, I thought it wasn't typical jerky behavior - it was over the top.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

For me, good writing usually trumps a good story. The subject matter doesn't rock my world, but I could overlook it if the writing was unique and interesting enough.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I remember that I hadn't wanted to read this book when it came out, but I couldn't remember why. After reading this in two days, I am glad that I did read it. It was a wonderful change from the general trope of a high school girl trying to better herself after realizing she was horrible since the end result is still the same.
For the target YA audience, this book has the potential to get students to become introspective about their own actions and how they are received by the people around them.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
luxalaskalisbon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by luxalaskalisbon »

I read this book when I was much younger, and it led me to many other books like it. I often compare it to "If I Stay." These two books were one in the same for me. At the time, I wasn't able to put them down. I enjoyed this book, although when I went back to read it last year, I wasn't as impressed as the first go round.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Read this a while back as well and I seem to remember liking it. Can't wait to read it again :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Norma_Rudolph wrote:I only read the first part of the book and then decided it really wasn't for me. It's well written but just isn't my cup of latte. I would hope my daughters have more sense than the characters in the book, high school is not an excuse to act like a moron.
Same here, not really my type of book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

Im almost done with this book. Im pretty sure I can guess how this tale will turn out. But Im not here to give anything away. Im here because I wanted to see what other people had to say about this book, as I refused to believe I was the only one who was not completely enthralled with this tale of failure and redemption. My overall opinion, thus far, is not a good one. I don't identify with or even remotely understand the rhetoric of repeated requests for the reader to look within themselves to connect with Sam at the authors behest. It is not my job to find similarities and likeness in the characters; its the authors job to create characters so distinctly unique we WANT to find the similarities ourselves. So many times I read something along the lines of "...be honest, would you have chosen differently?" or another thing to that effect. My problem with these types of baiting is that its kind of a cop out. That fourth wall doesn't really ever need to be shattered. I want to WANT to be part of the story on my own terms. I want the author to draw me in with a rich world full of people I don't want to say goodbye to. I don't want the author to sucker me into instant comprehensive recollection the way Dora does at the end of an episode. In high school I would never have been anything like Sam. I would never have chosen to participate in so many of the group meanness like she did. And doesn't it go against all maternal warnings to conform with questionable peer groups?

There are also a lot of pointless and completely unnecessary add-ins. Like characters that don't matter, storylines that go nowhere, and details that no one could ever hope to care about. I wanted to like this book. I really did. The opening page gripped me, for sure. But somewhere along the way on the second page of the book, it lost me forever in the girls ridiculous and campy conversations, the not quite on the mark simile's, and the truly mean nature of unfriendly high school bs.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Over all I enjoyed it. I did get bored through the middle reliving her days with her and I did find the ending lacking but I would recommend it. It was unique, while I probably wouldn't reread it, I would definitely recommend it.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Over all I enjoyed it. I did get bored through the middle reliving her days with her and I did find the ending lacking but I would recommend it. It was unique, while I probably wouldn't reread it, I would definitely recommend it.
I also got a little bored in the middle of the book. By the third do-over day, I started thinking "do I need to hear about this day again?" I still would recommend it becasue the writing was very good.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Honestly, I really didn't want to like this book. But the insight she gave to these characters was really well done. I thought this is one of the best redo's I've ever seen. Usually I will avoid them because of the repetitiveness, but each day took such a different approach that it didn't get boring. I also like how perspective changed with each redo on some of the little things like Sarah being able to compete in the swim competition.

As to recommending this book, I think it would depend on the person. I think the reader has to be willing to look beyond the surface and take the time to really consider. If I think the person I am talking to would put that kind of effort in, I would definitely recommend it. It's the easy way out to just say I have nothing in common with these girls and there is no tiny part of me that I can see in common to need to lead to introspection. The truth is everyone has said or done something they regret or feel bad about even if their ultimate actions are not equal to those of Lindsey, Sam and the others.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

anonanemone wrote:Honestly, I really didn't want to like this book. But the insight she gave to these characters was really well done. I thought this is one of the best redo's I've ever seen. Usually I will avoid them because of the repetitiveness, but each day took such a different approach that it didn't get boring. I also like how perspective changed with each redo on some of the little things like Sarah being able to compete in the swim competition.

As to recommending this book, I think it would depend on the person. I think the reader has to be willing to look beyond the surface and take the time to really consider. If I think the person I am talking to would put that kind of effort in, I would definitely recommend it. It's the easy way out to just say I have nothing in common with these girls and there is no tiny part of me that I can see in common to need to lead to introspection. The truth is everyone has said or done something they regret or feel bad about even if their ultimate actions are not equal to those of Lindsey, Sam and the others.

But with each redo, as soon as that day was done and Sam went to sleep, everything went back to being the way it was the day she died. With the exception of the night she slept at Ally's, which was the night she finally started to understand what it was she had to do.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”