Themes

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Themes

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Scott wrote:I can see the living life to the fullest. However, I think the book explores the complicated question of what that really is. Over the course of reliving the same day a few times, Sam progressively turns into someone who chooses to live her last day to the fullest in a way that doesn't involve getting drunk and just fooling around. Living life to the fullest can mean taking your sister out for a quiet hike to a secluded spot. Living your life to the fullest can mean showing some gentle appreciate or love to your parents on your way to school. It can mean going through the tough process of apologizing for mistakes and having mature conversations. Living life to the fullest doesn't mean one has to act like a wild, immature, and probably kind of foolish teenager.

I like a book like this because it leaves the reader to consider these different ideas. The books asks questions more than it provides answers. I like that. :)
I definitely agree with what you said, Scott - living life to the fullest is appreciating the simple things in life. This is the first theme that struck home to me while reading. Ever since I watched The Fault in Our Stars, I keep thinking to myself - am I living a life that if I didn't wake up tomorrow, would I agree with the choices I've made and the relationships I've built? Have I said 'I love you' enough and shown my love for others? Before I Fall emphasized that theme very strongly.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Scott wrote:I can see the living life to the fullest. However, I think the book explores the complicated question of what that really is. Over the course of reliving the same day a few times, Sam progressively turns into someone who chooses to live her last day to the fullest in a way that doesn't involve getting drunk and just fooling around. Living life to the fullest can mean taking your sister out for a quiet hike to a secluded spot. Living your life to the fullest can mean showing some gentle appreciate or love to your parents on your way to school. It can mean going through the tough process of apologizing for mistakes and having mature conversations. Living life to the fullest doesn't mean one has to act like a wild, immature, and probably kind of foolish teenager.

I like a book like this because it leaves the reader to consider these different ideas. The books asks questions more than it provides answers. I like that. :)

Excellent I totally agree.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

I believe that one of the themes stressed is that we only have one chance. ALthough this book seems like a contradiction to this statement, it relays this message to the reader by showing the exact opposite of what the book portrays. Our main character continues to relive this particular day, reliving her experience while still having full control of her actions. Once she realizes this, she acts rebellious among other attitude changes. However, this cycle is disrupted when she chooses the right choice to make, the one she should have made in the very begining.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I liked this book because there were a couple of big lessons to be learned from it. Our actions often affect others. Bullying is more hurtful than what people think. We never know until after the fact just how we affected others lives or how our decisions were either good or bad.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I agree with both of the themes above, and appreciate how the author truly demonstrated that life is absolutely precious and should be regarded as such. The way that the author handled the bullying situation was spectacular as well, but the way that she portrayed depression through Juliette was perhaps the most beautiful theme.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Scott wrote: 03 Feb 2016, 09:45 I can see the living life to the fullest. However, I think the book explores the complicated question of what that really is. Over the course of reliving the same day a few times, Sam progressively turns into someone who chooses to live her last day to the fullest in a way that doesn't involve getting drunk and just fooling around. Living life to the fullest can mean taking your sister out for a quiet hike to a secluded spot. Living your life to the fullest can mean showing some gentle appreciate or love to your parents on your way to school. It can mean going through the tough process of apologizing for mistakes and having mature conversations. Living life to the fullest doesn't mean one has to act like a wild, immature, and probably kind of foolish teenager.

That's just beautiful. I don't think I can explain things any better than this.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Thimble wrote: 02 Feb 2016, 00:38 I think the bullying was portrayed very well. It showed the impact from the viewpoint of both the victim and the bullies. It was also very realistic. I'm not sure if this book was a good representation of living life to the fullest. Sam didn't actually do much on the day she relived. She was mostly in school all day. I think it was more about living your life better and continually trying to be a better person. Also, she was trying to get others to be better as well.
Yes I agree
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think one of the underrated themes is that Sam becomes a more accepting person and stops being superficial. We see that with the way she treats her sister.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”