Ask the Author - Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Ask the Author - Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Post by literarycat »

Not related to the book, but was there a book that chanced your viewpoint on life?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

That's an interesting question, literarycat. Thanks for asking.

There are several books that I consider "guides" for my life. One of them is Native American Wisdom, edited by Kent Bernburn and Louise Mengelkoch. The second book is called Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies by Bobby Lake-Thom. The third is not really a book but has books to guide the user. It's simply called Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals by Jamie Sams and David Carson.

Every day is a learning process for all of us so I continue to look for ways to improve my life and the lives of people around me.

I hope this answers your question. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I don't really have a question, but I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your responses to all these questions. I was especially encouraged by the fact that you took a manuscript that was sitting for years, that you did not remember, and turned it into a finished book! Well done! I enjoy writing but am in the "doing life" stage right now...
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson

Post by rssllue »

I guess that this would be a question about questions you have received. What is the most interesting/evocative question that you have ever been asked about your writing? And what was you response to it? Thanks!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I don't really have a question, but I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your responses to all these questions. I was especially encouraged by the fact that you took a manuscript that was sitting for years, that you did not remember, and turned it into a finished book! Well done! I enjoy writing but am in the "doing life" stage right now...
Thank you, Rachelamb1.

Yeah, that "life" thing is pretty important. It gets in the way sometimes but it's one of those things you have to do. The best part is when you're in a position where you can start writing again, you can use your life experiences as sort of a spring board. You might also be amazed at how it changes your perspective on certain aspects of your stories. :)

-- 26 Jan 2016, 07:16 --
rssllue wrote:I guess that this would be a question about questions you have received. What is the most interesting/evocative question that you have ever been asked about your writing? And what was you response to it? Thanks!
I have to think about this, rsslue. This is a great question.

All of the questions that have been posted here are excellent. A couple of them I made no response to because I thought they were a little mean-spirited. But it is what it is. I can't change people's minds and they are entitled to their opinions.

This may sound a bit strange but this question you asked is an interesting/evocative question. I read all the posts again in the topic and every question has its merit. I can only hope I answered them to the satisfaction of the person who took the time to read the book and ask.

I'm not trying to dance around your question or evade it. I've had some questions about plotting, story ideas, how I do things--there are so many good questions. They are all meaningful and I appreciate them.

I hope I'm not leaving you hanging. That isn't my intent. I think all questions are important.

As for life in general, most people don't know I'm a writer. Those who do have either read or heard about my short story, Ghostwriter, and want to stay on my good side. They say stuff like, "I'm your best friend!" but never ask me questions. I would answer them if they did, though. :)

~~
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

What do you do to conquer writer's block?

-- 26 Jan 2016, 09:42 --
khudecek wrote:That's an interesting question, literarycat. Thanks for asking.

There are several books that I consider "guides" for my life. One of them is Native American Wisdom, edited by Kent Bernburn and Louise Mengelkoch. The second book is called Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies by Bobby Lake-Thom. The third is not really a book but has books to guide the user. It's simply called Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals by Jamie Sams and David Carson.

Every day is a learning process for all of us so I continue to look for ways to improve my life and the lives of people around me.

I hope this answers your question. :)
They all sound interesting, especially Spirits of Earth and the Medicine card one. I might have to add them to my list of to read.

Thank you.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

When I encounter writer's block, I read books. I don't read self-help or books about writing or anything too serious. I read some fiction just for entertainment. I don't spend a lot of time with the TV at any time but when I'm totally zapped, I will attempt to watch a movie that is totally unrelated to what I'm writing.

Thank you for the question and the comment about the books I use to guide me through life. I refer to the Spirits of the Earth book often. It's available at Amazon and frankly, as far as literature goes, it's the best ten bucks I've ever spent. I think it was ten dollars anyway. :)

~~
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

I n what ways do they guide your guide your life? Feel like in conducting a mini interview haha I find the books fascinating.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

I guess I'm one of those people who practices what I preach. I've been walking the "Red Road" (Native American spiritualism) for years now, even when I didn't know I was. It's given me a better appreciation for Mother Earth and the environment. It's made me be a bit more humble. I've always loved animals anyway but in Spirits of the Earth, it taught me what the possible meaning could be when you encounter them.

For instance, when you're driving and a hawk swoops down directly in front of your car, it means there is danger is ahead and to be cautious. Spiders are messengers and should never be killed unless they are poisonous (that was a hard one for me). Determining what the message is exactly is a thing I'm still working on. Cockroaches are never good and should always be killed. Bluebirds are beautiful birds but have an ugly song because they are the gossips of the forest. Nobody wants to be a bluebird in my house.

There is much to be learned from this book.

Anyway, since I've actually been able to pinpoint what I've been doing all of my life, I'm more at peace than I've ever been. I'm no longer questioning the answers because the answers are right in front of me and always have been. I just didn't see them. I'm still learning, of course but I am in a much better place spiritually.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask me anything. I don't mind. :)

~~
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

khudecek wrote:
rssllue wrote:I guess that this would be a question about questions you have received. What is the most interesting/evocative question that you have ever been asked about your writing? And what was you response to it? Thanks!
I have to think about this, rsslue. This is a great question.

All of the questions that have been posted here are excellent. A couple of them I made no response to because I thought they were a little mean-spirited. But it is what it is. I can't change people's minds and they are entitled to their opinions.

This may sound a bit strange but this question you asked is an interesting/evocative question. I read all the posts again in the topic and every question has its merit. I can only hope I answered them to the satisfaction of the person who took the time to read the book and ask.

I'm not trying to dance around your question or evade it. I've had some questions about plotting, story ideas, how I do things--there are so many good questions. They are all meaningful and I appreciate them.

I hope I'm not leaving you hanging. That isn't my intent. I think all questions are important.

As for life in general, most people don't know I'm a writer. Those who do have either read or heard about my short story, Ghostwriter, and want to stay on my good side. They say stuff like, "I'm your best friend!" but never ask me questions. I would answer them if they did, though. :)
Thank you for doing your best to answer my question. :) I guess that we can just maybe say that picking a single question out might be a bit like picking which child you like best. :shifty: Thanks again! :tiphat:

And by the way, I'm your best friend! :shhh: :D

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Hello, my new best friend--

It was a great question. I just wasn't sure how to answer it. I hope I did okay with it. :)

~~
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

This book contains a mix of genres - romance, historical fiction, and sci-fi/fantasy. There is also a dose of the Native American culture thrown in. Was there one particular theme that you liked more, even if it was difficult to write? Was there one particular theme that you found easier to write about?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

khudecek wrote:Hello, my new best friend--

It was a great question. I just wasn't sure how to answer it. I hope I did okay with it. :)
I am satisfied! :mrgreen: :handgestures-thumbup:

Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Wow! That is so awesome that you didn't even remember writing it, yet were able to bring it to completion by publication years later. You give the rest of us hope :D
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thank you. :)

~~