What did you think about Cody?

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: What did you think about Cody?

Post by TangledinText »

If you really love someone you have to let them go as I've seen in so many cliche love movies but this one he holds on knowing what the chief will due to her so I might have actually enjoyed the unknown, releasing her, more.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

kio wrote:I personally did not like the guy. I don't care how much you care about someone, you're no better than the abusive scum if you know about it and get "conflicted" about it (or whateever you'd call it), because of your retarded "sense of honor." Let's just say I'm glad I never lived in that era or was ever Suzanne. Cody was my second least favorite character. Which is weird since it seemed like we were supposed to "fall in love" with him along with Suzanne.
Well said Kio! It's almost like an accessory if you turn someone over to an abuser, knowing full well what will happen next.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I didn't care for Cody, and I can't justify knowingly exposing someone to a violent abuser. I think the situation would have been more meaningful to Cody's character development if the author hadn't made the chief's abuse so incredibly brutal. In the 1800s, there were many behaviors and attitudes that would be considered abusive today but were acceptable then (in both mainstream and many First Nations societies). If the author had made the chief's behavior closer to that which would have been culturally acceptable, I think the situation could have shown a deeper, special connection between Cody and Suzanne, instead of merely a basic human instinct to protect a vulnerable, pregnant woman. I mean - what kind of absolute monster wouldn't protect a woman from a public rape? Seriously?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree with many here. I appreciate the author's ability to create a complex situation - honor vs. love. However....I do not like the fact that Cody wanted to give Suzanne up to someone who will rape, torture, and potentially kill her. That doesn't make sense to me. If he ran away with her in the first place, then all the other stuff wouldn't have happened. Like gali said, though, I do believe he redeemed himself at the end, and it all worked out for the best.

Good writers make you feel. Even though Cody was ridiculous before and I did not like him for it towards the beginning, I think it takes a good writer to create these feelings for readers.

I have mixed feelings about how Cody treated Lame Bird. I think it was right that he didn't marry her since he didn't love her. That would be living a fake life. However, I didn't like that he was stringing her along either. He probably should've separated himself a little bit more, rather than have her do all the "womanly duties" while he did the "manly duties". It looked like they were already married.

Great question, gali!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:I agree with many here. I appreciate the author's ability to create a complex situation - honor vs. love. However....I do not like the fact that Cody wanted to give Suzanne up to someone who will rape, torture, and potentially kill her. That doesn't make sense to me. If he ran away with her in the first place, then all the other stuff wouldn't have happened. Like gali said, though, I do believe he redeemed himself at the end, and it all worked out for the best.

Good writers make you feel. Even though Cody was ridiculous before and I did not like him for it towards the beginning, I think it takes a good writer to create these feelings for readers.

I have mixed feelings about how Cody treated Lame Bird. I think it was right that he didn't marry her since he didn't love her. That would be living a fake life. However, I didn't like that he was stringing her along either. He probably should've separated himself a little bit more, rather than have her do all the "womanly duties" while he did the "manly duties". It looked like they were already married.

Great question, gali!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I actually liked Cody. I kept getting flustered in the beginning when he wanted to give her to the Chief but from the start he was trying to do the right and honorable thing even if feel down it conflicted with what he knew was right.
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Cody was a well-developed character, but confusing at times. I would really start to like him, then he would do something beyond my understanding. I know, in his era, it would be the honorable thing to give her to the chief, but knowing how evil he was towards his women should have kept Cody from ever considering that option. I do feel he made a good match for Suzanne. She needed his gentle, loving nature to overcome her feelings of unworthiness.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

hsimone wrote:I agree with many here. I appreciate the author's ability to create a complex situation - honor vs. love. However....I do not like the fact that Cody wanted to give Suzanne up to someone who will rape, torture, and potentially kill her. That doesn't make sense to me. If he ran away with her in the first place, then all the other stuff wouldn't have happened. Like gali said, though, I do believe he redeemed himself at the end, and it all worked out for the best.

Great question, gali!
İ agree that great writers are able to spin a story in such a way that it makes readers think and feel conflicting ideas.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

hsimone wrote:Good writers make you feel. Even though Cody was ridiculous before and I did not like him for it towards the beginning, I think it takes a good writer to create these feelings for readers.
Excellent point! I would also argue that character flaws tend to be stronger or more solid than their virtues. Many authors that I read have this unfortunate habit of making their "good" characters look like saints and their "bad" characters have little or nothing in terms of a redeeming quality. The simple fact that Cody is well-developed enough for some to hate him, some to like him, and others to feel conflicted about him throughout the novel really shows the amount of thought that went into portraying him as a realistic character.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I think though Cody knew that the chief was wrong, he was not able to confront him, as he wanted to be accepted by his people all his life. Still, he helped with the slave woman and wanted to help Suzaane.

I just felt he was confused between what he thinks as right and what he feels is right.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

bookowlie wrote:I still wouldn't want to be stuck with Cody. Even if he loved me, I would always wonder if he would turn me over to someone who would abuse and kill me!
I agree with you 100%. I believe, love is the most honorable feeling. No honor of the world should make us do what Cody did to Suzanne. Trust is the key factor in love; if someone can throw me to a mean fellow for the sake of any honor, then I don't wish to be with that person.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I was never able to like Cody as a character. It didn't make sense that he would risk the wrath of his tribal leader to help a white woman that he had no connection to, but for Suzanne, whom he felt affection for, he decided he would offer her up. Then when he comes to his senses he dumps her at a brothel, where even under the "protection" of the owner she is within the presence of drunken men at all hours of the day.
I think that Cody's morals where centered on what best helped himself in each situation. Which is why he strung Lame Bird for so long even though he knew that he wouldn't marry her.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I felt like the Cody character came off a bit flat. He was so tied up in being a "half-breed" that he did not think much past it.

I am not sure I understand why Cody would even consider giving Suzanne to the chief. The tribe saw him as nothing but a white man in an Indian body. They didn't trust him. He didn't trust them. Why would he want to give them anything?

I think he absolutely led Lame Bird on. He should have told her about how he felt a long time ago instead of letting her take care of him and basically acting like he was his wife without the physical relationship.

I think Cody does turn into a complex character in the second half of the book and starts to make more sense. His guilt and constant struggle to fit in to somewhere make him more realistic.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I actually liked Cody. Although he wanted to bring Suzanne to the chief at first, he had changed his mind and realized that she would surely be killed. I feel he thought if he brought the chief a white woman, he would be more accepting of Cody. He quickly realized that he had feelings for Suzanne and didn't want anything to happen to her. He risked his life time and time again to save her and her baby's.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Thank you, Kaitlyn12. :) It was refreshing to see your comment.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Return to “"For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill”