Discussion of "The Help"

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - okay, fair
8%
3 stars- good, recommend it
39%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
54%

Total votes: 80

cbreithaupt75
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbreithaupt75.html

Re: Discussion of "The Help"

Post by cbreithaupt75 »

The Help was one of the best books I had read in a long time. It was simple and fast, yet very good. I loved getting to know each character and feeling as though I was transported back to the time of the cruelty of segregation. The Help allows the reader to experience what the reality of day to day life was about in the deep south during that time. Told from the perspective of the "help˝ themselves, it showcases their strength and will to just exist, let alone be employed by the very people who want to strip them all of every last ounce of human-ness and dignity.

I watched the movie immediately following the book. Emma Stone portrayed Skeeter quite well; I thought that the movie followed the book very well. I don't recall anything that was left out of the movie, but I do recall that the movie was long and moved a long so quickly in order to fit everything in. I wish some things had been developed more and other things left out (of the movie). I am glad I read the book first! The movie was a bit of a let down. I would say go ahead and skip the movie on this one! The book...I couldn't put down!
Daeja
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daeja.html

Post by Daeja »

This book was just so much better than the movie. I think the movie lost poignancy that the book had, perhaps by trying to introduce or emphasize the more comedic moments.
bookworm523

Post by bookworm523 »

I found the book to be much more enjoyable than the movie. The great thing about reading the book over the movie is the author is able to portray all of the emotions that the characters have without being on a time restraint like most movies are. When I read "The Help," I had no idea that a movie was going to be made. I was recovering from knee surgery and off work for a month, so this book helped to pass the time. I enjoyed Skeeter's character the most because she went against society's norms of the racial segregation standard between blacks and whites. She was a writer who felt that writing about blacks in their society as minorities would make for a good story. As Skeeter interviews each of the women who work as maids for upper class white families, she gains the respect of these women as they see that Skeeter is not like the white people that they work for. Skeeter sees equality and develops a friendship with these women. Skeeter breaks down the racial segregation barrier by indirectly showing others that despite of color, they are all equal.

Unfortunately, it has been 2 years since I read this book, so my review may seem rather vague.

Thanks,
Angie
samuyama
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuyama.html
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by samuyama »

I really enjoyed this book, and going to see the movie with my family is one of my best memories.
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I was actually really surprised that I enjoyed this book so much. Something about reading about the depressive stages of American history (although the book was a fiction) doesn't really interest me too much, but I had heard so many good things about this book.

I believe my favorite character is Abaileen. The way that she is willing to help out Skeeter in any way that she can, even though she knew the consequences of her actions if they were to get caught, really surprised me. It showed me that there were people that were truly wanting the segregation to end, and they were willing to do just about anything to show the end of it.

My least favorite character, of course, is Hilly. They way that she is controlling with everyone and everything around her, making it seem like the world revolved around her really made me dislike her. I appreciated Skeeter standing up to her and letting her know that she couldn't do that to whoever she wanted. I really wished that Skeeter would have earned more appreciation for standing up in what she believed in by the rest of her peers, but it was extremely realistic how Kathryn kept the characters in a sort of trance that Hilly was projecting.

I also have to say that another character that I really enjoyed, for some odd reason, was Celia Foote. I wish she didn't act so "weird" around Minny, but after learning that she was having problems with miscarriage, it made me feel sorry for her. I also didn't like how she was secluded from everyone because Hilly intentionally made sure that no one would talk to her. I did like, however, the fact that Mr. Johnny Foote still loved and cared for Celia even though he finally found out about her problem with the miscarriages.

If I were asked about this book, I would definitely recommend having someone read it. It teaches us that color should not be the classification for anyone, and that if you truly believe in something to stand up for it. It may take you a long time and it may be dangerous, but you are creating a voice for others, and if it is truly right, people will stand by you and support you in any way possible.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I loved this book for many reasons. Firstly, it made me realize that even today, with every interaction, there is usually a power difference. Whether it is employee/employer; or teacher/student; or older/younger--there is always someone who has more power and someone who has less of it.

People that have power should be aware of it, and make sure to not take it away unfairly from other people; whether that is at an individual level, or in groups. Politicians would do well to use that as a rule of thumb. ;)
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I remember reading that the author wrote this book from a place of love and it shines through its narrator, Abaileen.

The movie adaptation could have been better but it was beautiful.
JuliannaSilva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliannasilva.html

Post by JuliannaSilva »

I thought this book was incredible. The character depth was great and the relationships between them were so interesting. Definitely worth reading for a laugh and a cry.
The movie was also impressive, the casting and the adaptation in general were so well done!
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I really enjoyed reading this book because it not only shows the reality of how things were in the 60s but you get everyone's perspective of it. It was funny in all the right places and kept me wondering what would happen to all of the characters. I did not really enjoy the ending as much as I could have, I wish I would've known what happened to the maids, and if Hilly admitted that it was her that are the pie.

This is also a very southern book and the language in it portrays that. So if you are not used to that, it might catch you a little off guard.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I loved this book and I'm sad that the writer hasn't done anything more that is out yet. I actually really enjoyed the movie too and thought they casted every character quite well. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys this time period!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

Some people have recommended The Help, but am wondering how similar is it to Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd?
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I really liked this book, especially since it is in a genre I don't usually read. I was skeptical at first, but pleasantly surprised once I started reading. It was interesting and a learning experience to read about maids in the 1950s and 60s and what their lives were like, as well as the lives of their employers and the interactions between both the women and these two worlds.

Probably my favorite part was the friendships and strength present in the almost entirely female cast. I think really focusing on these relationship was what made the book for me. Also the relationships between the maids and the children ("You is good, you is kind..." that part almost made me tear up).

I did have a few qualms, but they aren't major concerns. The romantic subplot didn't really seem to have a point, other to show that Stuart wasn't really a great guy. I also thought the end was a bit too sweet, and I think this was worse in the movie. But the rest of the novel was good and not just a simple feel-good story, so overall I'd give it 3.3 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

This was an excellent book. It taught the reader do much about conditions during those times. It was completely absorbing with it being both sad and funny at times. I am so glad that the movie version did the book justice and I know that this book will live on for ages to come.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
Paulina Gomez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulina-gomez.html

Post by Paulina Gomez »

The Help really is a wonderful book. It made me laugh and cry at how ridiculous some people can be for no good reason. A modern society still had the dynamics of times of slavery. Even to this day, racism is a part of everyday society and we don't even notice it most times. This book is one of the best of this generation concerning racism, and should be read and pondered over.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I loved this book. It made me feel sick to the stomach at times, but of course I laughed out loud at the "terrible, awful". The scale and depth of racism in societies old and new always surprises me, I was sheltered through out my youth that these things just don't even enter my head. I thought the characters were very well fleshed out, such that I loved everybody that you're supposed to love and hated everybody that you're supposed to hate. I thought the movie was a very good adaptation, and I thought ALL the actresses did an incredible job with their characters but I did think they took a bit of the sting out of some of the events which was a little disappointing.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu

Return to “Book of the month”