Discussion of "The Help"

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - okay, fair
8%
3 stars- good, recommend it
39%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
54%

Total votes: 80

viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Discussion of "The Help"

Post by viviannganyi »

This book is enjoyable and informative.
I loved how the three women came together and wrote about their experiences in between the races thus exposing the harsh treatment and hatred that whites have towards the blacks.
The inhumane treatment and so much hatred are what I disliked much as I could not come to terms with why they were being despised for coming from a certain race.
I would recommend this book to those who would love to know more about racism.
Kathija Hudha
Currently Reading: The Winner Stands Alone
Bookshelf Size: 105

Post by Kathija Hudha »

:techie-studyingbrown: I Loved this book. I was not able to concentrate on anything else until I finished this book. It clearly depicts the racism present and how it can affect one's mental health. I loved how Aibleen showered Mae Mobley with love and taught her from a young age that a person's skin color does not define them. It was a great book and would surely read it again. :techie-studyingbrown:
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

Overall I like that the book is sort of emotionally challenging. It is almost hard to read because although fiction it is so true-to-life. It brings up a true, real part of American and in a way global life.I think we need books like this every now and then to remind us of what prejudice and racism is still around. Even though this book is set in the 60s there is still plenty of racism around.
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

I think this book would really be of great help to me. Reading this book gave me an insight into how the world was at a time when I was not born . It seemed like a tell-tale the eay rascism was depicted amd explored.
I enjoyed reading this book.

Return to “Book of the month”