Discussion of "Walking with Elephants"

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.

How do you rate Walking with Elephants?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - okay, fair
29%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
29%

Total votes: 7

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Discussion of "Walking with Elephants"

Post by Scott »

Please use this topic to discuss the December 2012 book of the month, Walking with Elephants by Karen Bell. If you have not finished the book yet, please wait to read and post in this topic because this topic will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? Do you recommend it? What do you like most about the book? What do you like least? Are there any quotes or passages from the book that you think are noteworthy?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Seaelf63
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Seaelf63 »

I liked this book once I hit midway through. It was difficult to get into because I would get frustrated with the thinking of the main character. I would find my self thinking "now why would she do that?!" After I finally got into the character, I was able to relate and enjoy the book. The ending was surprising and pretty good, although I could have done without the entire column that Suze writes at the end of the book. Not bad though, and I'm not disappointed about reading this book.
NancyJillThames

Post by NancyJillThames »

I'm sure "Walking with Elephants" has an audience it appeals to, but sadly, I couldn't get into it. I don't know why I can read something like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and not mind the graphic details. Perhaps it's because I felt those details were necessary to the plot. But in "Walking with Elephants", I felt a little too exposed to baseness, both in the protagonist's home setting and conversations with certain work colleagues. The writing was good and I laughed at a few lines, but I couldn't get past the profanity. Just me.
Schmunzelmonster

Post by Schmunzelmonster »

To me the book was a quick and nice read. The story was not very inventive, but very well written. I would have liked to see Suze emancipate herself on purpose rather than by force and for her to get rid of all the stuff in her house that's not hers. I've been looking forward to a scene where she'll start to pick up all the woodwork and stuff and trash it, to free herself from the needs of other people, but it never came :-(
The book reminded me of how far we still have to go for equality. I am very blessed with a husband who irons, cleans and cooks as often as I do, but I tend to forget that this is not the usual. So I will cherish him more and open my eyes to the reality where equality means that most women work fulltime and shoulder the family and house dutys almost alone. I always knew that as a fact, but have never thought much about the consequences.
So you see, the book might not have been high-literature, but it got me thinking and reflecting and that's more than I can say about a lot of books.

Last but not least: I love the analogy of the books title, it's very powerful.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Schmunzelmonster wrote:To me the book was a quick and nice read. The story was not very inventive, but very well written. I would have liked to see Suze emancipate herself on purpose rather than by force and for her to get rid of all the stuff in her house that's not hers. I've been looking forward to a scene where she'll start to pick up all the woodwork and stuff and trash it, to free herself from the needs of other people, but it never came :-(
The book reminded me of how far we still have to go for equality. I am very blessed with a husband who irons, cleans and cooks as often as I do, but I tend to forget that this is not the usual. So I will cherish him more and open my eyes to the reality where equality means that most women work fulltime and shoulder the family and house dutys almost alone. I always knew that as a fact, but have never thought much about the consequences.
So you see, the book might not have been high-literature, but it got me thinking and reflecting and that's more than I can say about a lot of books.

Last but not least: I love the analogy of the books title, it's very powerful.
You should read 'How to be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran ... amongst other things she poses the question why is it sneered at or in some cases considered unacceptable for a working woman to employ a housekeeper or a cleaner but nobody questions why a man would employ a plumber or a gardener (or indeed a cleaner) instead of doing the work himself?
Before reading her book I had never considered that. She also has a very interesting angle on Muslim women & the issue of the veil.
It's also quite a funny book ... there is much in the day to day life of a woman you just have to laugh at! :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Schmunzelmonster

Post by Schmunzelmonster »

@Fran: thank you for the recommendation, I will put it on my tbr list :-)
QTTg

Post by QTTg »

I like thie book very much . I have reade it three times .
jimmy123

Post by jimmy123 »

I think so like it.
drcharms

Post by drcharms »

What an excellent post. I have been thinking along the same lines but have could never channel my thoughts that well or grasp the concepts properly, Your post absolutely states what I always intended to say.
johnnydepp

Post by johnnydepp »

Walking with Elephants is Karen Bell's first novel, although she is not new to writing. After earning a graduate degree in mass communication she spent 15 years as an editor and writer of business materials. She says, "Inspiration for this novel came from my direct contact with the joys of Corporate America and the balancing act that comes with being a working mother." Currently, Ms. Bell resides in Ponte Vedra, Fl with her husband and photos of her children, granddaughters, and grandson who live everywhere BUT Ponte Vedra, Fl.

i just love this book.............
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

I gave this book a two because it is not very engaging and not that interesting however the book is well written and is an easy and quick read.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

What an excellent post. I have been thinking along the same lines but have could never channel my thoughts that well or grasp the concepts properly, Your post absolutely states what I always intended to say.

Return to “Book of the month”