Doctor Zhivago - Entire Book

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Doctor Zhivago - Entire Book

Post by Scott »

Please use this thread to discuss Doctor Zhivago. Do not read this thread until you have read the entire book because this thread will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book now that you have finished it? Has it changed your views regarding that period in Russian history?

I have not quite finished the book yet, so I will wait to post more until I have finished it.

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
iNiNJA77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iNiNJA77 »

not really worth the read m8
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

Wow! its nice book but it has no changes in my views regarding that period in Russian history. Thank you for sharing.!!! Good Luck.!!!:)
princehole

Post by princehole »

Doctor "Zhivago certainly conditions that led to Revolution: Czar's autocratic rule, crushing poverty, and forced (especially the generals under his command admitted men pulled a coup by showing care about). If Then, of course, the Russian people that they "are social workers, but it did not turn out that way.
grado

Post by grado »

I heard this author before but never read his book, I think this will be another nice book
vvpeter

Post by vvpeter »

When Pasternak was chosen for the esteemed Nobel Prize for Literature, his native Russians protested so much that the author declined the honor.Pasternak reveals early on that the novel will be about truth and sacrifice; about one man’s beliefs and how he lives with his choices.
gavinol

Post by gavinol »

This is one of nice book..thank you for grate review.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Doctor Zhivago both the book & the film laid the foundations for my life long love of Russia both the country & it's literature. Awsome IMO
Jackoliver

Post by Jackoliver »

This is one of nice book..thank you for grate review.

I have not read the whole book as soon as possible completed.
Pengyanseo

Post by Pengyanseo »

I have not read the whole book as soon as possible completed.
Sidramalik100

Post by Sidramalik100 »

well i have read its only one book which has inspired me so much and i am very happy with his that book so i think he is great Author
Hanka

Post by Hanka »

Very good book.
Fran

Post by Fran »

I've never actually gotten round to reading the book but I love the movie and the music ..... Lara's Theme brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

Must get around to the book one of these days :D
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
naragus

Post by naragus »

Zhivago is a beatiful human being caught in the middle of a revolution. It might be seen as a reflection of how the soviet revolution ignored personal interests like love, vocational work, etc. for the sake of their goverment. Of course stories like this can be found on any revolution east or west, but this is what makes the book so good and what led to its censorship for long years.
Fran

Post by Fran »

[quote="naragus"]Zhivago is a beatiful human being caught in the middle of a revolution. It might be seen as a reflection of how the soviet revolution ignored personal interests like love, vocational work, etc. for the sake of their goverment. Of course stories like this can be found on any revolution east or west, but this is what makes the book so good and what led to its censorship for long years.[/quote]

Don't know that I'd agree with you that he was a beautiful human being .... IMO he was a normal human being with flaws and failing like the rest of us. There is an argument for saying Zhivago was quite egotistical and selfish in many ways.
I'm going on the basis of the movie though ... I must get my hands on the actual book.

Return to “Book of the month”