The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Final Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Final Discussion

Post by Scott »

This is the final discussion thread for Five People You Meet In Heaven. If you have not read the whole book, please do not read this thread as it will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? I love it, and I have recommended it to a bunch of people.

What do you think of the ending? I love that the little foreign girl turns out to have brought him up to heaven.

Which of the five people that Eddie met is your favorite? I'll think it over tonight and tell you all in the morning which meeting is my favorite.

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 16 Dec 2007, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mwo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mwo »

Although I found the writing to be rather corny and trite - particularly the author's frequent use of simplistic metaphors - I found myself engrossed in the story. It all fit together so well, and never once did it seem contrived. All in all, it was a very quick, light read and, albeit not a personal favourite of mine, I give it a solid recommendation.
mwo

Post by mwo »

And in response to one of your questions, I also really enjoyed the ending, which completely caught me off guard.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I found this to be an amazing book! It is still one I recommend to friends. We can never imagine the way our day to day interactions affect the people around us and this because is all about reflecting on the past and understanding. It definitely made me a Mitch Albom fan. I've read many books by him since first reading this one!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I loved this book for its simplicity and its message of how we all have a purpose even if we don't know what it is.
Colette Marie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colette-marie.html

Post by Colette Marie »

I loved this book because of its simplicity and the way the author has thought up of such a unique version of heaven. I also did like the ending of the book a lot because it was really touching and out of the five people that Eddie met I find that the one that I liked most was Marguerite :)
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

I love this book. It is such an easy read. I really enjoyed that the book carried a deep message even through its simplicity.
Glak

Post by Glak »

definitely on my two read list.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I know this is an old topic but this is one of my favorite books. I've recommended it to a bunch of people. The message is so beautiful and sweet. It shows you that no man is truly an island. We are all connected and our actions, no matter how small, can have a butterfly effect. There is no such thing as true isolation. I think that's a beautiful message.

I loved the ending with the little girl. I think it was just what he needed.

Oh, I don't know which one was my favorite. They all have such memorable dialogue. I read this book years ago and I still remember something from each one. I think my favorite is either the Blue Man or the Captain.
ejrhoades
Favorite Book: into the wilderness
Currently Reading: Lake in the Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by ejrhoades »

I thought this was a very poignant book, the story is so unique and engrossing. The characters are well developed, so that the reader becomes emotionally involved with the story line. I love the way the writer interweaves the individual stories of the characters into a connecting web of love and caring. I read this several years ago and still have memories of the meetings with the people in heaven.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

This is such a sweet book. I loved it and I've been recommending it to everyone. Funnily enough this is my first Mitch Albon book and Tuesdays with Morrie is next on my list.
matthieus89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by matthieus89 »

Certainly thought provoking, in my opinion, about the subject of our lives, our interactions with others, and how precious life can be.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I love this book. It is such an easy read. I really enjoyed that the book carried a deep message even through its simplicity.

Return to “Book of the month”