The Five People You Meet In Heaven ~ Pages 0-31

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Five People You Meet In Heaven ~ Pages 0-31

Post by Scott »

My copy of the book has 196 pages. If your copy has a different number of pages, the page numbers may not work out the same. Unfortunately, the chapters aren't numbered. This thread is the discussion for the first 31 pages. If you haven't read the first 31 pages, do no read any further. If you have read past the first 31 pages, please join the discussion in this thread, but do not discuss anything past the first 31 pages.

What do you think of the book so far? I love it. I find myself very interested in the story. Perhaps it is just the way the author writes that has me so interested; I don't know. His writing is simple enough to understand, but not childish. I find that the story flows well.

What do you you think of Eddie? Do you think he is a good person or what? The narrator references a proneness to violence and he does seem a little grouchy, but we know he is getting into heaven and he heroically tries to save a little girl. Do you think we are going to learn he lived a live as a hero or had various transgressions? I think the latter will be the case, but I'm not sure.

What do you think about heaven as it is in the book? At this point, we have only started to see what apparently is heaven, and it's a mostly-empty amusement park. I'm curious to read more about this seemingly odd version of heaven.

(I will be starting the discussion thread for the first half of the book next week on Sunday the 18th.)

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 18 Nov 2007, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
nyx5233
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nyx5233 »

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here as well as to book clubs in general, so bear with me. I read the first 31 pages, and then proceeded to read the rest of the book in the same day. I just didn't want to put it down. But I made sure to stop and make notes at the proper sections.

At this point I thought that it was definately going to be an interesting read. I agree with Scott, it is a very simple writing style, but an enjoyable one. I find it a bit tiresome when authors think they have to use big flashy words in every sentence, and take five pages to describe the surroundings, just to keep us interested.

As for Eddie, I immediately fell in love with him. I saw his 'proneness to violence' as Scott said in a positive light. To me, it seemed more that he was a protector, than a violent person. He was protecting his country in the war, protecting the people at Ruby Pier by making sure all the rides were safe, and protecting his older brother from getting beat up.

I personally don't believe in heaven/hell, but I'm always interested in what other people think it would/will be like. It's interesting that he is back at the Ruby Pier of his childhood, and that although he looks the same, his body feels like he's a young man again. I guess, being an old man with aches and pains, his heaven would be to young and innocent again.

But that's just my opinion. Can't wait to read what everyone else thought of it!!!
jayceeme2010

Post by jayceeme2010 »

I really enjoyed reading this book
neha46101

Post by neha46101 »

oooooooo SO SO SO good .....

I really enjoying this book. :D
changoora

Post by changoora »

where can find itto download plz
Alteranin

Post by Alteranin »

Привет всем, я новичок здесь, а также в книжных клубов в целом
Я просто не хочу, чтобы положить его вниз
jaimetravis

Post by jaimetravis »

I have not read the book but i wanted to know where it is available and what is it cost.
Kermit21

Post by Kermit21 »

This is a great book. It really made me think about my life and the people that have influenced me. I actually recommended it to my supervisor and she had already read it!

Most libraries in the US have a copy or any book store can order one if they do not have it in stock.
taniacperdomo11

Post by taniacperdomo11 »

after reading all your posts i want to read it now
Samanthaheber
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaheber.html

Post by Samanthaheber »

The book is just perfect, wonderful and I hope that you all enjoyed it as much as I.
kellyflynn

Post by kellyflynn »

I loved it! Can't wait to continue reading more!
zoe2328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe2328.html

Post by zoe2328 »

Fantastic book. Really puts life into perspective- the people that influence us both positively and negatively.
Excellent book by a great author- couldn't put it down once I started.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

One of the best books ever written :D
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
pattilyn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pattilyn.html

Post by pattilyn »

This is a fantastic book. The character Eddie reminds me of men of my grandfather generation who saw their role as protector. Reading this book reminded me about the choices we make, our connectedness, the impact we have on others. Everyone must read this book at least once.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

It's a beautiful, quick read, and very heartwarming and uplifting. This author usually writes about topics concerning the afterlife, but does it in a way that makes you appreciate life.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Return to “Book of the month”