Discuss The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Gynxie_Masters
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gynxie-masters.html
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden

Re: Discuss The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Tim

Post by Gynxie_Masters » 08 Aug 2014, 05:45

I was really impressed with the aspect of the main character having autism. I find it incredible that an author could put themselves in Christopher's shoes long enough to create an entire book. Honestly, while everyone seems pretty happy with the length of the book, I wanted more!

I loved mainly just being in Chris's mind and seeing things through his eyes. I'm not a fan of spoilers, so in this review I will say that the author's explanation and descriptiveness of how he saw and related to things was amazing!
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden

cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 » 22 Sep 2014, 19:15

I would have been able and willing to read much more of the book; I ate it up and loved the way it was narrated from Christopher's point of view!
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

ALynnPowers
2017 Reading Goal: 125
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: "Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket" by Peter Preston
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers » 03 Nov 2014, 04:00

I thought this was a great book! I let one of my students borrow it though, and then she went away to Australia and forgot to give it back to me! ARG!
Latest Review: "Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket" by Peter Preston

Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana » 03 Nov 2014, 09:35

I love seeing things in atypical ways, and since there aren't many books written from the view of someone with autism or Asperger's this was an excellent read. The plot was great too, and I honestly don't have a complaint about it. My ftm boyfriend has Autism Spectrum Disorder, and looking back there's several similarities which I think is really great. He loves this book too by the way, and reads it all the time because there's someone who sees things the way he does.

BookW00rm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookw00rm.html

Post by BookW00rm » 15 Nov 2014, 01:21

This is a book I recommend to people because it gives us a inside view of what an autistic individual might be experiencing. I study Cognition and reading this book made me understand my own subject more, especially the portion where the character describes how similar computers are to human mind. In school I'm made to take computer science and never understood how that helps me understand cognition. As I was reading this book it just clicked.

People need to be patient with the book and understand that we are trying to put ourselves in perspective of a child. I believe a lot of people got easily annoyed with this book because of the writing style (which I am assuming was author's intention). As long as you can get past that and envision yourself inside the character's mind you should be good.

mauriziopietrantuono

Post by mauriziopietrantuono » 31 May 2016, 03:07

That was lovely

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 14 Jun 2016, 12:22

I found this book to be difficult to read as a parent of a child with autism. So often, I found myself crying at the reactions other people had to the main character, Christopher. Why? Because other people react to my child in the same way and it's heartbreaking. Objectively, I found the story odd and the ending did not go with the flow of the book but it's possible that I was upset with other aspects to see how it was supposed to "work" in the end.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Samyann » 01 Jul 2016, 22:37

Not a very long audiobook at just over six hours of listening, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is written by Mark Haddon and narrated by Jeff Woodman. The story is written in first person, and the main protagonist is fifteen year old Asperger victim, Christopher. Asperger syndrome is a disorder on the spectrum of Autism. Christopher is perfectly functional, but has peccadilloes, i.e., he hates anything yellow or brown, food mustn’t touch other food on his plate. Christopher doesn’t like faces, doesn’t want to be touched, is almost savant at math and science, and is literal to the extreme. He’s a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but doesn’t like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – the title is a reference to a Doyle book. His emotions are stoic and his world is very black and white, right and wrong – nothing is gray.

Christopher is driven to solve a murder, the gruesome death of a neighbor’s poodle. He decides to write a book, the one we read. The story is a journey not only through murder mystery clues, but through Christopher’s thought process and logic. This is a realistic portrayal of an autistic mind, familial struggle, an understanding of the human condition.

Mark Haddon initially authored only children’s books, and in fact The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was released with two covers, one for children/teen readers, one for adult. A marketing ploy? The books are supposedly identical and both are available on Amazon. The marvel of this book, as opposed to other books about disabled people, is that there doesn’t seem to be any evidence of autism or autistic people in Haddon’s circle, at least none were found in my limited bit of research. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is all that much more of an amazing read given the character of Christopher is Mark Haddon’s imagination and research alone – very insightful.

The prose is lyrical, the story a slice of life from the viewpoint of a naive and vulnerable child stricken with a disability of which he is completely unaware.

Jeff Woodman’s interpretation is superb.

A thought provoking story well worth your time. Enjoy!

Return to “Book of the month”