Discussion of The Devil in White City

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Discussion of The Devil in White City

Post by Mike_Lang »

Saw a documentary about H.H. Holmes on Netflix that was pretty good so thought this book would be interesting. I tried several times to read this book - people whose opinions I value kept telling me how great it was - I never got past the first 100 pages. I just could not get into it. Finally, I gave it to a friend and they loved it! Guess it just wasn't, as bookowlie says, "my cup of tea".

I did notice that someone mentioned Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show earlier in the thread. As I understand it (I could be mistaken - it's happened before) while The Wild West Show was in Chicago during the Exposition it was not officially part of The World's Fair as organizers considered it not to be in keeping with the modern theme they wanted to display. They refused to accept Cody so he simply set up shop near them and ran his show independantly.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
ashton_cash
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashton-cash.html

Post by ashton_cash »

For informational purposes: If you liked learning about H.H. Holmes then I would recommend reading "Depraved" by Harold Schechter as he provides another interesting insight into H.H. Holmes, his life, and how and why he committed the crimes that he did! Happy Reading!
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

This book is what made me fall in love with the genre of true crime. Erik Larson paints unimaginable stories and characters, that are all based 100% off of well cited research. This story ties together 2 narratives, very much different in style. The first is an optimistic one, capturing the adventurous era of the Columbian Exposition. The second, a dark and twisted tale of one of the first documented serial killers in the United States. There is nothing like this novel...
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This book was part of my suggested reading while studying interior design. We were learning about the design expos and how certain styles of furniture and design elements, as well as designers were introduced to the general public. I'm a huge fan of books in this genre.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

Based on your review on this book!
It really made me a boring feeling for it.well then thanks for the info✨

Return to “Book of the month”