Discuss Water for Elephants

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
lovecalayag
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Discuss Water for Elephants

Post by lovecalayag »

I have read the book before I watch the adaptation into a movie. I really like the book from the cover to every pages. The author knows how to illustrate the life of the Circus on 1956. Gives me interesting question how it is like to live on that year, on that place and on that type of life living on the Road. I love how Sara show us every type of people and society on that time. How different language, different belief that time was categorized how to have friends. I love the Romance between Jacob and Marlena. And their love for animals. I like Sara illustrate the feelings an emotions in the story. Its nice that even Jacob was put in Elderly house by his children he still understand why they need to do it . In the end he always believe that he had a wonderful life. Things that make us happy is home
dterrill
Favorite Author: E.L. James
Favorite Book: Water for Elephants
Currently Reading: David Tate : Origins
Bookshelf Size: 17
fav_author_id: 2612

Post by dterrill »

If you liked the movie, reading the book is a Must! This was the first book I read on my kindle. I am the type of person that a book has to catch my attention early or I loose interest. At first the book is slow but you can tell that it is setting the scene for the reader. then it grabs you and you Just Can't stop reading! How the author catches you in describing details in a scene is inspiring and watching the film it gets lost. The Book is a true Love Story!
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

I loved that each character really had their own unique character. A lot of times, I realize authors are writing every character as the same person (or worse, different aspects of themselves) but this book seemed to have realistic human beings involved in honestly difficult and real situations. I think the morality of what each character was doing was often expressed and whether it was a quick decision or a well-thought out one, it seemed a lot of people made a lot of tough choices that affected more lives than their own. I love that the author implies in the flash forward at the beginning that Marlena is the murderer only to have us realize that the descriptions were deceptive after all. I love that the writing was done well enough to have explanations for the cheesy parts and doesn't hide the real world impact their big, reckless, cheesy decisions had on them (such as choosing to keep all the horses and Rosie and Bobo and everything and how their only answer was to go join Ringling). I honestly have a lot of love for this book and had a really enjoyable experience reading it. I found myself frequently torn between reading it for hours and trying to ignore it so I could make it last.
“But need alone is not enough to set power free: there must be knowledge.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
Adair
Favorite Book: Stories Of Your Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Adair »

This is a positive, feel-good book. It is set in such a time (the Great Depression) where everyone is scratching out a daily existence. To the modern consumer of daily television news and sound bites, such a setting might very well conjure up a sense of many characters at each other tooth and nail yet the arc of the story is about good, kind people doing the right thing for one another and, of course, for the elephant.The reading public needs more such approaches.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I know this book has a great following, but I did not like this book. It was just another story, for me.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I absolutely loved this book. It's been a few years since I read it, but it's a story that has stayed vivid in my mind. I thought the jumps from present day to the past were flawless and extremely well executed, and the characters all drew you in completely. My heart really went out to Rosie.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
chloelogan3
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by chloelogan3 »

In all honestly, I haven't read the book yet. I want to.... except I couldn't even make it through the movie without having to ask my partner to turn it off (animal cruelty). I would love to give this book a try but I know that things are always so much more real when you are reading them as compared to watching a movie. Is the movie an accurate representation of the book?
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

chloelogan3 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 00:36 In all honestly, I haven't read the book yet. I want to.... except I couldn't even make it through the movie without having to ask my partner to turn it off (animal cruelty). I would love to give this book a try but I know that things are always so much more real when you are reading them as compared to watching a movie. Is the movie an accurate representation of the book?
I saw the movie, and just very recently read the book. The movie is much more graphic about the animal cruelty. The main character is aware that the elephant is being beaten in a couple scenes, but he is not actually present during the beating so there is no graphic detail. I think you will enjoy the book.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I quite enjoyed the movie. Completely forgot it was based on a book. Oops.
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I liked this book for the most part. It was entertaining and likeable. The information about the circus and the depression was fascinating.

Return to “Book of the month”