Discuss Water for Elephants

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Techforums123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Techforums123 »

Water for Elephants is an historical novel by Sara Gruen. Gruen originally wrote the novel as part of National Novel Writing Month.

The story is told as a series of memories by Jacob Jankowski, a "ninety or ninety-three year-old" man who lives in a nursing home. Jacob is told what to eat and what to do.
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

I couldn't put this book down. That being said, I'm not sure how much I actually enjoyed it. One reason for this is Marlena. Jacob was completely enthralled with her from the moment he saw her. But Gruen never really explained why. What made her so great? I don't see it, which kind of made me feel like he was taking all these risks for nothing more than lust.

Rosie was definitely my favorite character. So intelligent, playful, loyal. Because of my feelings towards Rosie, I found it really hard to read about August's treatment of her. I actually just skipped ahead when those scenes came around, I couldn't handle it.

I didn't care for Camel at all. But mainly I think that's because I'm jaded by alcoholics in general. So when something bad happens to them because of their addictions, I tend to not feel sorry for them.

Walter, on the other hand, I loved. Of course he was pissed off in the beginning, who wouldn't be? But his character grew a lot in the book. I quit seeing him as a dwarf clown who was angry at the world, and instead saw an intelligent, loyal friend.
Gatsby'sGreenLight

Post by Gatsby'sGreenLight »

Butterbescotch wrote:@Gatsby

Yea, audiobook was great. Although, the old Jacob's voice was good but I really hate the sound of nagging and complaining person. ha ha. So whenever it's his turn, I just read the book to myself and turn on the audiobook if its the young Jacob. :lol: :lol:
I agree. It was a little gruff, but I liked his kind of "I'm old, so piss off" attitude. It really brings the characters and stories to life.

Butterbescotch wrote:Although, I don't feel the same about cramming the details. You see, I haven't been into a circus and the way Sara Gruen presents it, I have a pretty good idea what's it like.

Have you seen the movie-adaptation?
I think it is really interesting that you are reading it having never been to a circus before. That is a perspective I didn't consider since I have been to modern day circuses (the dreaded Ringling Bros - don't tell!)
I haven't seen the movie version yet - it just went through theaters here and I couldn't get anyone to go with me. I have to anxiously wait until video - sigh. Did you see it? How was it?
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Melaniep

Yes, Rosie was the star both for the book and the movie, at least for me. However, there is one point I don't understand: Elephants have sharp memory and when August fed Rosie after days of beating her, Rosie gladly accepts. Even Jacob wondered: "How could she forget?"

Gatsby

Honestly, I had trouble deciding whether I like the book or not. Since I read the book first, the excitement kind of died. There wasn't really much difference between the movie and book except, as for me, the visual presentation of the circus performance.

There wasn't a heart-throbbing performance except the actor who plays August. Man, he is tough. Seriously, I'm confused.

Anyways, if you want to read here's my review: http://magicoficecream.wordpress.com/20 ... ts-movie-r eview/
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

Thank you for posting on my blog. I tweeted the url to your movie review. I just now see that Butterbe and magicoficecream are the same person.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Thanks Eva. I appreciate it. But do you mind posting your twitter account or put up an email subscription to your blog so I can keep up with your posts?

Let me know.
Cowboy14

Post by Cowboy14 »

i have it on my collection ........ and this my one of the best collection,,,,,,,........
Denysaputra

Post by Denysaputra »

Hi all, no inspiration for this month. Any suggestion please?
Clothbottom1

Post by Clothbottom1 »

Good but Not for my age of people O think its good for children when I told them stories. Thanks for the book Sara
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

I am not so sure about that Clothbottom1. There are some adult scenes your children might find eerie.
Russellc

Post by Russellc »

The pages of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen burst with rich descriptions and action. You will be drawn into the world of ringmasters, elephants and sideshows. You will also experience the world of nursing homes and old age. You will not want to put Water for Elephants down, and when it is over, you will want more.
LifeinTN

Post by LifeinTN »

I'm going to have to look this book up.
Nhocngamy

Post by Nhocngamy »

ok i think so
Tugzmckenzie

Post by Tugzmckenzie »

Melaniep wrote: Jacob was completely enthralled with her from the moment he saw her. But Gruen never really explained why. What made her so great? I don't see it, which kind of made me feel like he was taking all these risks for nothing more than lust.

I felt the same about Jacob and his feelings towards Marlena, until he saw her perform with her horses for the first time. Her beauty, elegance, grace, and above all, love for her horses turned his adolescent crush into unmistakable love.
wingshockeygal
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games Series

Post by wingshockeygal »

Tugzmckenzie wrote:
Melaniep wrote: Jacob was completely enthralled with her from the moment he saw her. But Gruen never really explained why. What made her so great? I don't see it, which kind of made me feel like he was taking all these risks for nothing more than lust.

I felt the same about Jacob and his feelings towards Marlena, until he saw her perform with her horses for the first time. Her beauty, elegance, grace, and above all, love for her horses turned his adolescent crush into unmistakable love.
This is something I had an issue with in this book. Suddenly, Jacob was announcing he was in love with her with little interaction and no explanation as to why. By the time he saw her perform for the first time, he was already in love with her. It made the "happily ever after" hard for me to believe.

Return to “Book of the month”