Discuss Water for Elephants

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Doyag
Favorite Author: sidney sheldon
Favorite Book: A Walk To Remember + Tell Me Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3713

Re: Discuss Water for Elephants

Post by Doyag »

I finally finished reading this book.
and wow! i did not expect to love it! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it.
I loved Jacob so much (and thank GOD was not ruined by Pattinson's image on my mind while reading). I didn't care much for Marlena or the love story but I was rooting for a happy ending for Jacob. he deserved it.
My favorite character was Walter and I was so sad for him to die in that horrible way. I was even sad for a moment there when we thought he lost Queenie, his dog.
heatherprzybyla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherprzybyla.html

Post by heatherprzybyla »

I loved this book. I couldn't wait to get DD to sleep so that I could continue reading it. Can't lie though, I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I enjoyed this book, but I have to be honest -- I watched the movie first. So I went into it already liking it. It doesn't matter to me if the ending was realistic or not. I liked it.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

Overall I really did enjoy the book Water for Elephants. I really did not have anything to complain about, although I do agree that the ending did seem a little unrealistic. Unfortunately my expectation was that Jacob was going to see the circus, go back to the nursing home, and then pass away in his sleep rather satisfied with his life.

For me, Walter and Camel were just supporting characters that really didn't have anything to do with Jacob. I understand that Camel was the one who took Jacob in, and Walter had accepted Jacob for who he was rather than the occupation he upheld, but since Sara didn't really revolve the book around Walter and Camel, like how she did with Marlena, August, and Rosie; I feel like she "got rid of" Walter and Camel in a very realistic fashion, since August and Uncle Al both wanted Jacob "red lighted" (it was an unjust way of getting rid of Walter and Camel, but I feel like that is what she had to do)

As far as everything else, I really do believe that Sara did a fantastic job with this book, and I would definitely recommend this book to other individuals.
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I really enjoyed this book and its happy ending.
gls330

Post by gls330 »

I did like this book, but I also felt that the author was trying too hard to be cutting edge and include all the major themes that the "popular" books have, like the love triangle. There were so many characters that I would have loved to learn more about, such as Walter. It was just too good to be true, in my opinion. I adored that she wrote the book from the circus life viewpoint, as it is something that I am not familiar with, so it was very interesting to learn more about that sort of lifestyle.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Really enjoyed the storyline.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
emilyxwebster1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxwebster1.html

Post by emilyxwebster1 »

princehole wrote:"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse."
I loved this quote. In fact, I loved the entire book. Apart from the fact that I now know everything there is about circuses, I found the book thrilling! I watched the film first, then realised it was a book. Of course, the book beat the film by a mile.
therhinofam
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therhinofam.html

Post by therhinofam »

This book was a surprising delight. I thought Sara Gruen did an impecable job bringing authenticity to the time period of the book. From the description of the setting to the language, I felt transported to the glitz and shadows of the depression era circus.
The development of Jacob as a person and man, was well done. My favorite character was Rosie, of course. Without speaking a single word, Sara Gruen crafted Rosie in such a way that you knew her personality and feelings, making it impossible to not fall in love with her.
This is a book that I ofter recommend to people who are fans of historical fiction or are looking for a happy ending. I would be interested in reading more from this author.
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
bookreviewsbynoel

Post by bookreviewsbynoel »

Absolutely amazing book! :lol:
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

I loved this book so much. when I lost my copy of it I was so sad.
All the characters were so fun and I loved the era of the book.
I really enjoyed reading both the story of Jacob in the retirement home , and Jacob as a young man working in the carnival.

I was so excited when I found out they were making a movie based on the book.
but I was so Disappointed there was so much I felt they left out.
Adurna101
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Favorite Book: Hidden Empire
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Adurna101 »

Good book, but produced a feeling of; alsghsdflkghdafsgflkehaldsfguasdlftsadkjfhyadxcki, as while it was written well, it was still an overall frustrating read, and I don't know why.
Aim to Misbehave!

Check out my Reviews at; http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
RobynTy
Currently Reading: The House of Hades
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robynty.html

Post by RobynTy »

I enjoyed this book immensely! Perhaps it is because I work in a nursing home and can relate to the main character who cannot recall whether he is 90 or 93! Rumor has it, one of my former residents did work in the circus! We never can fully know the amazing lives that some of the folks have lived before they become just another old man or woman.

I believe the author did a ton of research and it shows in her book! I never spent any time considering what problems the circus trains would have experienced, let alone the social gaps between the "performers" and the workers.

All in all, an enjoyable read. I loved that in the end, our main character found someone who cared about his history even when his own family seemed to have forgotten.
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I really enjoyed this book. To be honest I let the cover sway me. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I can't help it. I saw it and felt drawn to it because it seemed so different to anything else I'd read. I wasn't let down, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would certainly recommend it.

I certainly learned more than I ever thought I would about the circus which was fun and I'm glad it had a happy ending. It really drew me in and I loved it. I thoughts it was extremely well written and the character development was great as well.

Overall I was super pleased with the book.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
houseofshawna13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofshawna13.html

Post by houseofshawna13 »

I had actually watched the movie first before I realized it was a novel. I loved the movie so much I knew I had to read the book. I loved this story. I thought it was beautifully told and it made me feel like I was standing right next to Jacob as he fell in love with Marlena. Even though I knew how the book ended, I kept hoping August would get it together. Things may have turned out differently if this story was told a few decades later. This book was fantastic and I would read it again in a heartbeat.

Return to “Book of the month”