Discuss The Kite Runner

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Discuss The Kite Runner

Post by Scott »

I apologize for the delay in posting this topic. Please use this thread to discuss the October book of the month, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This thread will contain spoilers, so do not read this thread until you have read the book.

What do you think of the book? Do you recommend it to others? Are there any quotes or short passages from the book that really stick out to you? If so, please post them.

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 16 Nov 2009, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Bowlie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bowlie »

I have been meaning to read this book for the last few years so when it was chosen for book of the month, I was excited. I must say, the first two thirds of the book were good, but I didn't really feel like it was great. The last third....woah....it was so good that it is now on my top 10 books of all time list.

I absolutely loved Hassan. He was such a loving and loyal friend which I think is so lacking in society today. He was truly good in every sense. I struggled a little more with Amir--he was much more gray as a character, but I really enjoyed his development as a person throughout his life.

I thought the most moving part of the book was when Amir rescues (and is also rescued himself) Sohrab and decides to take him home to San Francisco. I was so moved by Sohrab's struggle with losing his childhood to the Taliban and his subsequent suicide attempt. That tore my heart out! When he said that he was so tired, I was dropping tears all over the place.

After reading The Kite Runner, I wanted to pick up A Thousand Splendid Suns right away, but then thought better of it. I want to savor this book and think on it for a bit before I move onto his next book.
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
fav_author_id: 12304

Post by Mrs.T »

This book was so wonderful! Well written. This book made me feel what the narrator was feeling. One of my favorite books. I didn't find any flaws really , but ifound it hard to read at times because it was so harsh and of course felt sad most of the book. Overall I'd give this book five out five stars.
Pinkpaper

Post by Pinkpaper »

I didn’t read this book as part of this book club but I did read it about 4 months ago.

To echo what the others have said really, loved the book. I found the way the author described parts of afghan culture really interesting which just added to the story. Also found the descriptions of the afghan immigrants and how they had to settle in American again very interesting.

I guessed who Hassan’s father was quite early on but that didn’t take anything away from the book.

I found the book quite shocking in places which made it hard to read, I also liked the ending. Well I would have loved a 'happy' ending but that wasn’t going to be realistic so I liked the way it did end.
hunter112198

Post by hunter112198 »

I loved all of the history and culture of Afghanistan that the book provided. I've heard of many of the towns and cities on the news, but never had realistic pictures in my head of what they looked like and how the people there lived.

Of course, the ending was fantastic and I felt as if Amir's struggle to right his past wrongs was heartbreaking in that he (and I) would never be satisfied. I was surprised that I was wrong and felt overwhelmingly at peace when I finished the book despite the feeling of sadness and anger that the rest of the book invoked.

I did not move right on to A Thousand Splendid Suns as I felt a need to read a lighter, "fluff" book after this in order to relax a little. :)
ConnieH

Post by ConnieH »

I loved this book. I knew virtually nothing of the culture of Afghanistan prior to reading it. I found it particularly interesting to see how they adapted to life in America. Why don't they do the kite contest in America?! I think it would be so much fun!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I absolutely loved this book. The young Hassan in particular I thought was so human and so gentle in such a cruel world & my heart broke for him. I have to admit I did think the ending lacked credibility & let the book down somewhat. But all in all a truly moving & beautifully written book.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

Fran wrote: I have to admit I did think the ending lacked credibility & let the book down somewhat. But all in all a truly moving & beautifully written book.
How so? I actually liked the ending of the book because it wasn't a "happily ever after" ending. I thought it was more true to life when a child has gone through something as horrible as Sohrab did.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I loved this book. I loved the main character Amir. He was so real and flawed, and I believe the book is really about his journey and his relationships with the other charaters, especially his father and Hassan. Amir is blatantly aware that he constantly lets his father down and finds it impossible to live up to his expectations. This has an enormous affect on his childhood. Hassan(another fantastic character) is incredibly devoted to Amir and when he stands up to Assef for Amir we see he is very brave. In contrast when Amir does not help Hassan when he is being raped we find out that Amir is a coward. Later as Amir becomes an adult he turns his life around and(finding his inner courage) redeems himself by trying to rescue Sohrab.

Another thing about the book, is that it opens your eyes to a completely different world. It shows the reader parts of Afghanistan's history and culture at various time periods. This world is so far removed from mine that it is hard to fathom.

Lastly, I love how the book starts with kites and literally, with the last pages, ends with kites, however now Amir is kite running for Sohrab. The symbolism is perfect.
Oneday

Post by Oneday »

The book was good but nothing to outstanding, ending was easy to see it coming but all in all I enjoyed it.
urasay

Post by urasay »

i read this book a couple of years ago and loved it. i recently moocked it (on bookmooch) for my roomie. i might read it again in a few days.
this book made me fall in love with afghanistan. it generated mixed emotions and made me wonder about what is, what was and what could have been in that country. if things had worked out different for the country, maybe 9/11 would never have happened. i am sorry i tend to go offtrack and end up talking about governments.
well i liked the lead, amir if i am not wrong. he was perfect because of his flaws. he did things he was ashamed of, something all of us have. he did the right thing eventually, something we all aspire to do. hero. a human, believable hero.
i think the book did have a problem with the pace. it was inconsistent.
olivia751

Post by olivia751 »

Hello

I haven't read this books yet but surely read soon. Recently i study about leadership by jimclemmer. He is too good and have a great knowledge about leadership and management. I read their book "The Leader's Digest:Practical Application Planner". Its a fantastic book.

Regards,
Olivia

Jimclemmer
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

olivia751 wrote:Hello

I haven't read this books yet but surely read soon. Recently i study about leadership by jimclemmer. He is too good and have a great knowledge about leadership and management. I read their book "The Leader's Digest:Practical Application Planner". Its a fantastic book.

Regards,
Olivia

Jimclemmer
I joined the forums not too long ago, but I've noticed that posts like these are all over the forums. I have tried to keep from posting about them even though I find them really irritating, but I can't not say anything anymore. Could we please delete these posts when they are in REALLY inappropriate places like, Book of the Month?!!! Way to take away from the discussion, "Olivia". I'll be sure to NEVER buy Jim Clemmer's book!
crazy denna

Post by crazy denna »

I absolutely loved Hassan. He was such a loving and loyal friend which I think is so lacking in society today. He was truly good in every sense.
I didn’t read this book as part of this book club but I did read it about 4 months ago.

To echo what the others have said really, loved the book. I found the way the author described parts of afghan culture really interesting which just added to the story. Also found the descriptions of the afghan immigrants and how they had to settle in American again very interesting.
website-design-seo

Post by website-design-seo »

its a nice reading his book, its fantastic

Return to “Book of the month”