Discuss The Kite Runner

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Discuss The Kite Runner

Post by godreaujea »

I can't believe I still haven't read this book yet! I really need to get my hands on it!!!
Tumi02
Currently Reading: Mining for Alaskan Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Tumi02 »

I've read this book in the year 2013, so that's 5 years ago and it's still one of my favourite books to date! I love the style in which the book was written, the focus on Afghanistan's political history and the diversity of cultural & social standard. I had to comment on this book as my first post.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

This book is wonderfully heartbreaking. I cannot imagine living in a place that can treat women and children in such a horrendous way. This is one of the few books that have made me cry almost from start to finish. If you have not read it, do.
sheeps44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheeps44.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by sheeps44 »

I read this book a long time ago, I remember that their is a graphic novel version of this, pretty interesting.
Books_4_KThaler
Favorite Book: Kite Runner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Books_4_KThaler »

I have read this book multiple times, one being a classroom requirement in a high school literacy class, but each time I pick up the book, I dive deeper into the meaning and the characters themselves. The empathy in the main character has for his "nephew" when he goes to pick him up from the orphanage and the problems that ensue throughout the end of the book is remarkable. It was a plot twist for me when it turned to truth being told about the servants boy actually being the main character's half brother.

:shock2: :shock2:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I remember reading this book some time back and thought it was truly fantastic! I thought that the characters wrre realistic and sometimes you just wanted to reach through the pages and make them take a different road.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I read this book years ago. I really enjoyed it. The part that stuck with me the most was towards the beginning when they were running the kites. It seemed strange compared to the rest of the book. The traveling, the returning home, the bribing to get the child, the gorilla-like war regime. All of those things were so separate from the beginning. I know it was supposed to be to show the difference between then and the now in the novel, but it seemed so strange to me. That is what I remember the most. I also remember the movie, but I did not like it as much.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Although I haven't read this book in years, I remember being deeply moved by it. It's one of those books that when you turn the last page, you say WOW. The characters are real and honest and the author paints a beautiful picture of a complicated culture. This is one of those books that I always recommend and often think about reading again.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by _priyamvada_ »

I was so fascinated by the concept of sin presented in the book. Khalid Hussain is an artist, he writes so well about relationship and the refugee crisis in the book. a must-read for everyone
Night_mage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-mage.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Night_mage »

The Kite Runner was definitely one of the most heart-breaking books I've read. There is a beauty to their friendship despite the lies and betrayal. In the end, forgiveness is one of the key elements to redemption.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I had to read this book for my A Levels and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I found the ending so sad and uplifting at the same time. I think that it had such a nice circular narrative with the line "for you, a thousand times over". It was so beautiful and left a feeling of fulfilment, but no matter what, I refuse to like Amir. I just found him entitled and he only seemed to redeem himself right towards the end.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Thafheema Zaroony
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thafheema-zaroony.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thafheema Zaroony »

The kite runner by khaled hosseini is my forever favorite read. It just makes a reader feel the characters.We would be completely into the story while reading.
The story simply depicts the life of different people, the way each of them are connected and also the haunting picture of Afghanistan.This story would definitely be an unforgetful experience for a reader.
Aastha363
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aastha363 »

The Kite runner book has affected me so deeply....it is such a beautiful book....have cried atleast thrice reading the book...when sohrab said i am tired tears just leaked out....hassan's loyalty and such a pure character was just...
had a lot of anger towards amir...but as the book progressed the redemption made me change my mind and not only that...i began to understand his inner turmoil....
all the characters were so beautifully crafted....
Harshita Kargeti
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harshita Kargeti »

What if suddenly one day you get a call, a call from the long forgotten person in the past. And the call brings you back to time you have tried to forget your whole life as it doesn't even existed. You have a deep down buried past with memories. Some very sweet and some horrible ones. But you still feel the guilt. And the call can make you get rid of that. " This is the time to be good again". But are you strong enough to bring back the horrible past and change your current lifestyle completely. "It may be unfair,but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime..." All this brings us to a fabulous and heart touching book by Khaled Hosseini.. THE KITE RUNNER.
This book is the face of certain cruelties of the societies that many of us face. It will make you look at the true and loyal friendship. The childhood, the discrimination, the faults, the crimes, the innocence of children and the importance of family. It shows how the time heals and hides certain wounds. It shows the changing of a country, the changing of it's people and the heartbreaking truth of the society.
I've always been a fan of fiction, but this book is way more beyond to be simply called fiction or something else. It will make you smile, it will make you cry. " Sad stories make good books". It is so heart touching that you're never gonna forget the story. It connects you with the guilt ,the friendship and the place and the old times. With each sentence I lost myself for the book, for the words. It takes you to the Afghanistan it was then vs how you know it today . It tells a lot about an honest friendship and friend. It will tell you that you can never have your old life back and if you have a guilt somewhere deep in you.... there's always a way to be good again. I am sure the next time when I will be having a look at the kites..I am gonna remember the Kite Runner. This book...it have my heart forever. For this book "a thousand times over".
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I love Khaled Hosseini's books. This is my number 1 favorite out of his 4 books. The way he writes, the story-line, the use of beautiful words, this is all mesmerizing for me. I would 100% recommend this book to others.

“Better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.”
“I opened my mouth, almost said something. Almost. The rest of my life might have turned out differently if I had. But I didn’t.”
Amna Khalid

Return to “Book of the month”