Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
neha+thomas+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-thomas.html

Re: Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Post by neha+thomas+ »

I really like the book and writing was very intriguing and even though the end was a tad bit uneventful I guess the journey was amazing , the author had be captivated all along and I loved Mikael , the strong, yet fearful ,smart yet doubtful , he was so real and amazing in the novel.
hoangleanh

Post by hoangleanh »

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, and I was impressed with the book. I agree with some of the other posts, in that the book was slow to start.
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I must admit that the subject matter in the series is a little much for me; from what I understand of the plotline, there is a definite point that the author makes when dealing with the rape situation...Still, that's a hill I have to climb in bracing myself before I move to read such a book. The same goes for movies, though less so because I don't feel as though I have as much to do to mentally pull myself into the movie's world.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

I also agree with the other posts in that the book definitely started off slowly. It actually took about 100 pages for me to really get into it but I'm glad I stuck with it. The entire trilogy turned out to be quite fantastic.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
Penny4yourthoughts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny4yourthoughts.html

Post by Penny4yourthoughts »

I also thought it started slow but then I couldn't put it down. I loved seeing the full effects of all of her hard work. She is honest and true to herself.
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

When I first started reading this book, I couldn't understand what all the hype was about. I found the first 50% of this book to be quite slow. However, after that point it was immensely exciting and I couldn't put it down!
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Was a bit long drawn out, but a good story line.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I loved this book from start to finish. It horrified and thrilled me. I couldn't put it down.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

I found this really hard to put down once I got into it, luckily I was lent all three books by a friend and read them back to back. There were some pretty horrific scenes that I really wouldn't want to see so I'll skip the movie.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

A lot of people talked about this one starting out slow, and it definitely did, but I also think that the last 100 pages lagged as well. I think this mainly had to do with the fact that by that point the Harriet mystery had been solved and the focus went back to Mikael and his issues. I really didn't care all that much about that aspect of the book. I do understand that it was needed, I just didn't feel that so much of the end needed to be dedicated to it.

Also, there was that long bit where Mikael was communicating back and forth via email, and I didn't really think any of that added to the story. It got very redundant after a while. On the same topic of redundancy, I do feel that there was quite a bit of sandwich eating and coffee drinking that could have been edited out as well.

I liked that each character had their own personality. Even though I wasn't the fondest of either one of the main characters it didn't stop me from enjoying the book. I like authors who aren't afraid to write characters who aren't always the most likeable. It's very true to the real world, and I'm not talking about just the "bad guys". Sometimes the protagonist in a book isn't going to be someone you want to invite over for dinner.

With all of that being said I found that the 400 or so pages in the middle were really good, and it was hard to put down. It definitely made me want to continue on with the series.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the trilogy and loved it! The second and third books were even better.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I loved this book but I won't continue reading other books of this series.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I read the entire trilogy and very much enjoyed it. True, some parts of each of the books in this trilogy lagged and were slow-moving, but I just loved reading about the different relationships and the issues of their characters.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

As big as this book was, when I read it- it did not take me long to get through. The beginning of the book is tough, though. I feel like the author almost tests you by throwing in unnecessary information just to see if you will dig through it to get to the good parts. Once the storyline kicked in though I was hook. I was dying to see what every one was raving about! It's worth the read if you can stick with it!
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I realize this thread is really old... but maybe I can bring it to life??

I LOVED this book and this series so much. I tore through all three and just couldn't get enough of it. The plot twists and the way it was written were incredible. I couldn't put the book down and I wish he was still alive to write more. The characters were relatable and I really enjoyed reading about life in Sweden as well.

What I found the most interested was the nuanced way it was translated. Of course because it was translated from Swedish the translators tried to stay as true to the original text as possible, so it wasn't always exactly what you might say in English. I found this awesome and a really fun and interesting change from your average book that's already in English!
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Return to “Book of the month”