Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Re: Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I loved this book as well!

I wonder how the original differed from the English version and if there is anything that we might have missed due to translation errors.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

I gave it 4/4 , I loved this book !

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original title in Swedish: Män som hatar kvinnor, "Men Who Hate Women") is a crime novel by the late Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson. It is the first book of the Millennium trilogy, which, when published posthumously in 2005, became a best-seller in Europe and the United States

My favorite character was Lisbeth Salander , honestly she was the most character that kept me hooked from the beginning, genius but deeply troubled Freelance surveillance agent, researcher and a computer hacker who assists the Swedish author Mikael Blomkvist on his quest for a mass murderer and a serial rapist :evil:
Mikael was hired by Henrik Vanger to investigate the cold case of his great-niece, Harriet Vanger, who has been missing for 36 years and presumed dead.

The characters were all well-developed, credible and easy to relate to.

The pace of the story was perfect for me, steady pace quickens to the ending while slowly unraveling the mystery of the killer.

Of course I recommend the book for everyone who enjoys Crime, mystery, thriller and Scandinavian noir :)
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

I have read all three books in this trilogy, and I can honestly say that none of them disappointed me. I would give them a 3 out of 4, simply because I found it hard to keep up with all of the characters and who they were in relation to the story. I often had to look back and re-read sections to make sure I knew all of the characters. Other than that, I love these books! The plot is very interesting in my opinion. My favorite character would have to be Lisbeth Salander. She is so unique, and I couldn't help falling in love with her. I would definitely recommend these books to a friend, and I have before.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

This book was brilliant. I did find that the english/american movie could not hold a candle to the book. My grandad gave me this to read and I was a bit unsure, however once I started reading I became intrigued and determined to finish the story and find out 'who did it?' :P

Loved the character of Lisbeth Salander. So different from most main characters and was interested in how she reacted to things and stayed so strong through all she had been through.

Would highly recommend.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

This is by far one of the most suspenseful and intense books I have ever read. The plot twists are amazing, and I was left guessing until the very end. I cannot wait to read the rest of the trilogy. Definitely a 4/4.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
mwhitedances13
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwhitedances13.html

Post by mwhitedances13 »

I have been wanting to read this book for years and I finally got around to it. I absolutely loved it and binge read the whole trilogy. The character of Lisbeth Salander was fascinating and I was left wanting to read more and more about her (and less and less about the ways things run in Sweden). I am debating on whether I want to go ahead and get the new book The Girl In the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. I may just wait a little longer for the price to drop before I do.
pallavi garg
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavi-garg.html

Post by pallavi garg »

I certainly liked the book....though there were extremely detailed topics which felt dragged...sudden twists and turns certainly made it a page turner...there were certain torture scenes which saddened. ..overall certainly intelligently written book...
ash77atc
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ash77atc »

I absolutely LOVED the book series! Lisbeth is my favorite character and she is very much like an onion. At first she seems a little off putting, but there so many layers to her person that the reader slowly becomes attached to her and her struggles. Played with Fire and Kicked the Hornets nest are also great sequels that continue to develop the readers affection for Lisbeth. I do think the American movie version fell very far short to what I was expecting in an adaptation. However, there is a Swedish adaptation that is 6 parts long (available on Netflix with subtitles) and I found that this version stayed true to the nature and plot of the book as well as kept my interest. It did take several sittings to watch.
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I always say these books around but could never commit to starting them. Luckily, the owner of a local book store recommended it and their used section had it one day so I gave it a shot. I also really loved the series, Lisbeth is definitely a unique character that brought so much to the table. This was another series that I had a hard time putting down and even though they were a bit longer, I seemed to finish them in no time at all. The only thing that was hard about these books were the names of all the places and characters that were a little hard to follow at times.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I loved the development of Lisbeth throughout the story, as well as the relationships she has with the other characters. The author's sensitivity to the autistic mind was well done. The author really demonstrated how difficult relationships can be for someone with autism, as well as the fact that people with autism do have feelings and social needs. They are just different from the needs of neuro-typical people.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I came in to reading this book a couple years ago, having no idea what it was about. It was recommended to me by a friend, and within a time of two weeks, I had read the entire (at the time) series. I was amazed. This book is such a "raw" read, in that, there are parts of the story that Ino one (or at least I) would never think to release or say. The main character is so strong, and I disliked her so much that I began to love her!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

i didn't really enjoy the book but it has a nice plot
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I really enjoyed this book (and the other installments). I could not put the book down, but it is not the type of book that I would read again.
Navaneeth Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Navaneeth Krishna »

This book is one of my favorite mystery thrillers of all time .I liked how the puzzle just unravels at the end .The author provides a few hints for the readers to figure out the puzzle themselves, but still I couldn’t really figure it out, so the suspense and the thrill kept me reading at a steady pace. I also loved the character of Lisbeth Salander, intelligent, smart and introvert.

Return to “Book of the month”