Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Prometheus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Heh I have read it on Kindle Reader - it's my first e-book

Post by Prometheus »

Well that was new experience. Do you guys think ebook readers will win over paper books?

e-bookstore.co/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/Stieg-Larsson/B0015DROBO/ebook

Great directory of ebooks.
Mynxe L. Silles

Post by Mynxe L. Silles »

Hard to say, Prometheus. I think E-books are taking off. I hope for the environment's sake they do get more and more popular. But I have to admit, I do like to hold a copy of my favorite books in my hand, if you know what I mean. :)
Mynxe
Hutrakous

Post by Hutrakous »

Nice man!
Will try to read this book..
Thanks!
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

Most of the members of my book club loved this thriller. I certainly couldn't put it down. But when I look back over the story, I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

I recommend the novel with some reservations.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Evapohler wrote:Most of the members of my book club loved this thriller. I certainly couldn't put it down. But when I look back over the story, I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

Interesting point but I don't think the female characters were particularly interested in commitment either ... one was happily, if unconventionally, married if I remember right & Lisbeth certainly wasn't into the conventional 'happy ever after'.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

That's what I mean. Those women were created by a man. How convenient that few of them want commitment--the one who does pulls away before things get too sticky.
Sprhnjatus

Post by Sprhnjatus »

national geographic online version of new book just for you for free!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Sprhnjatus wrote:national geographic online version of new book just for you for free!
Public libraries have books and eBooks for free, too.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
MaxDaniel

Post by MaxDaniel »

Book is good. I like the concept. I think it is one of the best book of the writer.
Pingugirl

Post by Pingugirl »

Loved this book. Only got round to reading this after I'd seen the film (which is not half bad either, if you watch the original, subtitled version i.e. not dubbed.....god, never dubbed!)

I agree with the general consensus: slow to start, redeems itself hugely when things take off. Salander rocks & the second one's even better!

Haven't got round to the third yet - it's on the long list of things to read! Looking forward to it though :)
CuppaTea

Post by CuppaTea »

Evapohler wrote:... I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

He is my favorite character. Has there ever been another man in literature to do so much cleaning and sweeping around the cabin? :wink: He was always the one to cook breakfast. All the way to the end of the trilogy, I wondered if a love interest would ever cook for him!
Adamsmith1979

Post by Adamsmith1979 »

the girl with the dragon tatoo is a great book.
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

I hated the part where she gets implants... I love reading about Sweden and thriller. I`m glad she got away but would have loved a relationship beween Lisbet and Blomkvist. The world is violent, this book reflects it. Sweden too. Can`t wait to read the last one.
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

I discovered it a little tedious and yes, too numerous Vangers almost ruined the broth. However in the end it was worth it to me, and the doing well publications more than worth it.

-- Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:44 am --

I discovered it a little tedious and yes, too numerous Vangers almost ruined the broth. However in the end it was worth it to me, and the doing well publications more than worth it.
slpeters2009
Favorite Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Favorite Book: Garden Spells
Currently Reading: Distant Hours by Kate Norton
fav_author_id: 1802

Post by slpeters2009 »

Difficult to follow at first; seemingly "technical" in the politics...I kept reading, became addicted---the trilogy was superb! Lisbeth was to me like Jason Bourne. I am eagerly await the movie release this 12/21/11. I believe the character choices to be ideal.

Return to “Book of the month”