Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Post by Scott »

This is the thread to discuss the September book of the month, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Please do not read this thread until you have read the book because this thread will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? Would you recommend it to others? Which characters are your favorite?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mokey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mokey »

LOVED IT. CANNOT WAIT TO READ THE NEWEST RELEASE. THE STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER--BRAINS AND BRAWN--WAS VERY ATTRACTIVE. THE UNDERLYING SEXUAL TENSION IS ALWAYS A PLUS. TEASED, NOT TAXED, YOUR BRAIN.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I really tried hard to like this book, simply because I loved the main character. "Lisbeth Salander" is great and really was the reason I kept reading. Try as I might, I just could not get into this novel. Perhaps it was because it stumbles along at a snail's pace or maybe there are one to many "Vangers" floating around the story. It may be possible that is loses something in the translation. I was reading a couple of other books at the same time so maybe I should go back one day and read it on its own. As it stands though I find it a very average read and I don't think I will be reading "The girl who played with fire".
mokey

Post by mokey »

There were a few...I have a long commute and listened to it on audiobook. That may have made it easier on my brain.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I absolutely loved the book. It was much more complicated than some of the mystery/thriller books that I read. I liked that they back story was so involved and long. It made me care more about some of the characters. I grew to really like Henrik Vanger only to find out that he is pretty gray just like most people at the end of the book. I don't blame him for wanting to keep Martin's crimes from becoming public, but I also feel like all those women that Martin and Gottfried killed over the years deserved better justice than they got. I am really learning to like complicated characters like that because that's really how most people are in life--more interested in self-preservation than taking the high road.

I agree with the person that like Lisbeth Salander. I think she is one of the best characters I have ever read. I like that she is flawed, but also a really strong and uncompromising woman (well, in some ways she is uncompromising).
Amrita

Post by Amrita »

I seriously didn't know what to expect with this book. Although Lisbeth is quite prevalent throughout the book, even when she's absent from the scene...what is it about that dragon tattoo. Each tattoo was a reminder, so what was the dragon for? haha. That's just a random question.

Anyway, did I like it? I was certainly entertained. I think the author did a good job of keeping you engaged in the story. Just when you thought things would slow down a bit...maybe...NOPE!

I have to say that I had more hope for some of the characters. That they'd reach some stage of realization, like Lisbeth did. But, that bit of "tragedy" at the end is in keeping with the storyline and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My favorite character: it's easy to say Lisbeth, no? And I say that not with an intention to offend anyone. I suppose my favorite character was the guardian that she was able to develop a relationship with. He was such a strong contrast from all the other characters in the novel. I wonder if that's because we knew him through Lisbeth's eyes...and/or because he wasn't in the book for very long. Again, though he was absent, I thought that his presence was felt throughout through Lisbeth and her scenes.

Well-written and have already recommended it to others, although I am sure I wouldn't have picked it up on my own, as it was recommended to me.
ThinkJam

Post by ThinkJam »

Hey guys,

Really great to see such positive feedback for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

Just wanted to let you all know that the Swedish movie adaptation of the book is coming to UK cinema's on March 12th 2010.

Its an incredible book and the film is said to be a very close adaptation.

For more info, including images, trailers and competitions check out my facebook group - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo UK

Cheers all, let us know what you think! :)
Moe

Post by Moe »

I gave it 100 pages and put it down. I thought it dragged and I really didn't care about any of the characters. I heard a bunch of people saying how great it was and gave it another 100 pages then put it down. I just couldn't get into it. I found it really tedious.
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

I saw your site and I am quite interested about this book. Is it possible to order and deliver it to Asian countries?
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

It is marvellous book.........
nanz9

Post by nanz9 »

I got this book after my friend mentioned that she had stopped everything she was doing in order to finish it, that was how much she liked it. I am so glad I followed her lead...I finished it in a few days and wow! I hope they do publish the fourth and last book that Stieg Larsson left before he passed away. Can't wait for the third one (Hornet's Nest) to be available in stores. Definitely reccomend !!!
pontalba

Post by pontalba »

I've read all of the trilogy, and have to say that 2 and 3 were less rambling to my mind. I did love all of them though, and would recommend them to anyone.

Moe, there were places I found it a little tedious and yes, too many Vangers nearly spoiled the broth. However in the end it was worth it to me, and the succeeding books more than worth it.

The film of Tattoo was marvelous, we went to see it a couple of weeks ago, and wow, it was a little long, but I loved it. Has anyone else here seen it?
ChrysCJG

Post by ChrysCJG »

The book started off slow but I ended up not being able to put it down. I loved the twists and turns and unpredictable ending.

Spoiler: The only thing I really didn't like was the fact that the killings were covered up and never brought to the police. All those families will never have ANY closure. I really felt Mikael Blomkist shouldn't have gone against his morals.

Other than that HIGHLY recommend this as a great mystery!!
smellymonkey

Post by smellymonkey »

Just finished it and i loved it thought it was well written and i couldn't put it down
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

I enjoyed reading this book. The writing style is not good at all, the author goes on and on with his description, but I really liked the plot. Here is my review of the book: http://mybookshelf.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... gon-tattoo -by-stieg-larsson/

Return to “Book of the month”