The Time Traveler's Wife ~ pages 220 - 303

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Time Traveler's Wife ~ pages 220 - 303

Post by knightss »

First off, i want to apologize for updating at a slow pace. I've been busy lately and I'm in the middle of a few different books. Anyway, we are more than halfway done here. After the next update we should start considering a new book to pick up when we are finished with this one.

--------

I didn't find this portion of the book to be very interesting.. most of it seemed like filler and/or small stories necessary to the plot (meeting family, getting married, buying a house, etc.) Is there anything anybody found interesting in this section?

The only major event that i saw as toward the end of this section, Henry's traveling begins to become more severe. What also worries me is that in one part of the book they say that Henry knows he lives to be as old as forty something (43 maybe?) but after that he either dies or doesn't time travel anymore.

There was also the incident of the drug use in this section. Henry has to go to the hospital after taking an experimental drug that his friend made.

Do you think Clare is still waiting to meet the man she fell in love with?
Is Henry ready to become that man?
Last edited by knightss on 25 Jun 2007, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
awelker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awelker »

I think that Claire is waiting for the man that she fell in love with at age 6 and that after this accident Henry is ready to become that man.

I also think that showing the parts of the normal life showed that Henry wanted it. He wanted to be able to sit in his own house with his family and enjoy it.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I don’t necessarily think that “the man she fell in love with” can ever truly exist outside of her childhood. She was just a child when she fell in love with a grown man. One who knew her adult self very well. She never finds that man again because she is a woman now – she is different, he is different, so their love is different.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I agree that there seems to be a lot of filler. This book is pretty long, and it really could have benefited from removing some of the more tedious chapters. We don't need to know the play-by-play of their board game. We don't need to know every band that Henry is interested in.

As for the drug use, I understand his desperation to be normal for the wedding. It has brought him to the point of recklessness. Even after all his efforts, he (young Henry) wasn't present for the wedding ceremony. The beautiful thing is, though, that Clare got to marry the man she fell in love with (older Henry).

Thankfully young Henry cut his hair right before the wedding, or else that would've been pretty difficult to explain.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I also think that showing the parts of the normal life showed that Henry wanted it. He wanted to be able to sit in his own house with his family and enjoy it.

Return to “Book of the month”